Satipatthana Question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sangyey

Satipatthana Question

Post by sangyey »

Hi,

I just have a quick question regarding Satipattana. What Satipatthana contemplation would contemplating a Dharma teaching be (as in the second of the three types of wisdom,ie., the wisdom of reflection).

It's kind of a techincal question but I'm just not sure how it would be classified becasue it seems like it could be a body contemplation as in clear comprehension of an activity but it's really something you do with your mind so I am not sure if it could be contemplation of a Dhamma or something?

Thank you
Zom

Re: Satipatthana Question

Post by Zom »

This is not a contemplation of Teaching, but a contemplation of the 4 noble truths of dhammas (phenomenons) - that is direct meditative seeing of "anicca-anatta-dukkha dhammas flow of your body-and-mind". When you can see this directly in your meditation - you are very close to nibbana.
brad48

Post by brad48 »

sangyey wrote:Hi,

I just have a quick question regarding Satipattana. What Satipatthana contemplation would contemplating a Dharma teaching be (as in the second of the three types of wisdom,ie., the wisdom of reflection).

It's kind of a techincal question but I'm just not sure how it would be classified becasue it seems like it could be a body contemplation as in clear comprehension of an activity but it's really something you do with your mind so I am not sure if it could be contemplation of a Dhamma or something?

Thank you

Here one develops the mindfulness factor of enlightenment.
When the mindfulness factor of enlightenment is aroused in him the investigation of dhamma factor of enlightenment is aroused in him. When the investigation of dhamma factor of enlightenment is aroused in him he investigates that state with wisdom.

And so on with the 7 factors of enlightenment. That is how in brief.
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

sangyey wrote:Hi,

Thank you
Hi

The word sati is described in the suttas as recollection/remembering. This description occurs several times, no other description of sati is given. Maybe it is actually remembering and contemplating a certain teaching from the suttas - there are so many of them, they must have a use, e.g. nonself, 4 noble truths etc. etc. etc.

:smile:
Agent

Post by Agent »

Brizzy wrote: The word sati is described in the suttas as recollection/remembering. This description occurs several times, no other description of sati is given. Maybe it is actually remembering and contemplating a certain teaching from the suttas - there are so many of them, they must have a use, e.g. nonself, 4 noble truths etc. etc. etc.

:smile:
Dmytro recently posted a thread with some extensive info on the term sati that may be of interest:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Slightly :offtopic: ...In a recent conversation with Venerable Pannyavaro (Buddhanet creator), his glowing assessment of the book linked below was such that I thought it worth mentioning for those interested...

http://www.amazon.com/Satipatthana-Dire ... 1899579540
http://wanderingdhamma.wordpress.com/20 ... u-analayo/
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Good book. Anything else I could say would be redundant, but, you should get it. (yes, you!)
Ben

Post by Ben »

appicchato wrote:Slightly :offtopic: ...In a recent conversation with Venerable Pannyavaro (Buddhanet creator), his glowing assessment of the book linked below was such that I thought it worth mentioning for those interested...

http://www.amazon.com/Satipatthana-Dire ... 1899579540
http://wanderingdhamma.wordpress.com/20 ... u-analayo/
Excellent advice Bhante.
Venerable Analayo's book is an invaluable aid and reference.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Thank you.

Actually I have been studying Bhikkhu Analayo's book 'Satipattha - the direct path to realization' which was recommended by Bhikkhu Bodhi in one of his online lectures. Yes, it really is an excellent excellent book which has really deepenend my understanding and practice. I haven't finished reading the whole thing yet, however.

It seems then that reflecting on the teachings would be classified as contemplation of Dhammas i.e., investigation of phenomena as someone suggesting in a preceding thread.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi,
personally I think whether it this contemplation fell in dhammas or not would depend on the teaching and on how this was implemented.

if the teaching being contemplated was intelectual then certainly it would be dhammas but if it was a teaching on practice it could fall into both dhammas and another tetrad, then solely the other tetrad.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill