Confirmations on three marks scripture? Help!

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
jglennie

Confirmations on three marks scripture? Help!

Post by jglennie »

Can anyone please confirm that the following scripture are the correct pali/devanagari translations of the three marks of existence and nirvana?

अनिच्चा anicca
अनत्ता anatta
दुक्ख dukkha
निब्बान nibbana

Thank you
bodom

Re: Confirmations on three marks scripture? Help!

Post by bodom »

Looks good to me, though to nitpick the correct order would be anicca, dukkha and anatta.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jglennie

Post by jglennie »

Thank you very much, why is the order that way out of interest?
I currently have anicca tattooed on the inside of my right wrist and I intend to get anatta on the same wrist, and dukkha and nirvana on the left wrist, so it'd be good to know if there's a good order to have them in.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

If you're going to get that tattooed on you, I'd make very sure of the Devanagari spelling. You might check with a native speaker as they will know best.

Also, Pali does not have a script of its own, so it's 'okay' to use Roman letters. But I have to admit I like the Devanagari script too. The Devanagari and Burmese scripts look very close to the Brahmi, which is the script of many of Ashoka's edicts.
echalon

Post by echalon »

jglennie, can you post an image of how those words look to you? Just because they look fine on my computer, with my fonts and setup, does not mean they display right on another computer.

Also, are you going for any particular kind of declension? I don't know enough Pali to be able to give you a clear answer, but at least looking at the PTS Pali dictionary it looks like aniccā is not the root. Where did you grab the forms from?
jglennie

Post by jglennie »

I originally found the images on wikipedia and then cross-referenced them with a couple of textbooks and they seemed to correspond. I'm not too worried about tiny variations as the only reason I chose pali/devanagari is because it is the language in which I was originally taught the terms so it has personal significance and reminds me of my teacher. So for getting them tattooed, I don't really mind if there is a little mistake as they are more to remind me of the doctrines myself rather than for aesthetic accuracy so as long as they don't look completely wrong then I am satisfied.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to post an image of how the script looks on my screen.
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

jglennie wrote:Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to post an image of how the script looks on my screen.
Get the script showing on your monitor --> Print Screen (keyboard button) --> open an image editor --> PASTE the clipboard (it has the screenshot) --> save as a .jpg --> Photobucket --> post a link here.

:twothumbsup: