Charities

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Yllyrryon

Charities

Post by Yllyrryon »

Looking for a list or lists of Buddhist charities.

Many thanks in advance to any who can help!
"The Buddha is rightly self-awakened - the Dhamma, well taught - and the Noble Sangha, worthy of honor." Translation by Ven. Thanissaro
sukhamanveti

Re: Charities

Post by sukhamanveti »

Hello. Here are a few.

Charities Founded by Theravada Buddhists

Buddhist Relief Mission provides assistance and supplies to hospitals and to orphanages, funds schools, provides emergency relief, and offers aid to Burmese refugees fleeing from a brutal dictatorship into India. The charity also helps to rehabilitate prisoners in the U.S. who want to practice Buddhism in prison and heal their minds.
http://www.brelief.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buddhist Global Relief was founded by Bhikkhu Bodhi to fight global hunger.
http://buddhistglobalrelief.org/main.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Khmer Buddhist Relief provides food, wells, shelter, and schools to people in need in Cambodia.
http://www.khmerbuddhistrelief.org/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dhamma Moli protects, shelters, and educates vulnerable girls in Nepal.
http://www.dhammamoli.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5
Yllyrryon

Post by Yllyrryon »

Thank you, sukhamanveti! :thanks:
"The Buddha is rightly self-awakened - the Dhamma, well taught - and the Noble Sangha, worthy of honor." Translation by Ven. Thanissaro
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

There was a thread here on DW a few months ago which listed a few more charities. I couldn't find it a moment ago, but perhaps a more determined search would locate it.
:namaste:
Kim
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

_/|\_
Yllyrryon

Post by Yllyrryon »

To appicchato, Kim and Dan: thanks for your responses! I will review all of these.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Kim O'Hara wrote:There was a thread here on DW a few months ago which listed a few more charities. I couldn't find it a moment ago, but perhaps a more determined search would locate it.
Kim
I think this is the one you're referring to: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Yllyrryon wrote:Looking for a list or lists of Buddhist charities.

What's the difference between Buddhist charities and non Buddhist charities...? :thinking: :shrug:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Annapurna wrote:

What's the difference between Buddhist charities and non Buddhist charities...? :thinking: :shrug:
Good question. Mostly no difference ~ maybe just in focus. Some international charities may not be interested in, say, making Dhamma Books available free of charge, or providing dana for the support of monks.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
sattva

Post by sattva »

Personally, i would like to give to charities, especially those that deal with hunger and other relief efforts that:

1. Don't involve the killing of animals.
2. Don't require people to listen to religious doctrines (or convert) in order to receive aid. I heard conservative Christians talk about using the Haiti earthquake to further their own agenda.

If a charity doesn't use a disaster to further its own religious agenda, i could give to it. How are the ones listed in previous posts on these two points?
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Tex wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:There was a thread here on DW a few months ago which listed a few more charities. I couldn't find it a moment ago, but perhaps a more determined search would locate it.
Kim
I think this is the one you're referring to: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Tex. It is relevant but it isn't the one I'm thinking of.
I just looked through it again because of Sattva's question, because I remember someone posting a link to a site which assessed the effectiveness of various charities, and that isn't in the thread you found.
:spy:
It's still a mystery - sorry, Sattva!

Kim
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

cooran wrote:
Annapurna wrote:

Good question. Mostly no difference ~ maybe just in focus. Some international charities may not be interested in, say, making Dhamma Books available free of charge, or providing dana for the support of monks.

with metta
Chris
Thank you, Chris.

Meritable!

But where would the money for printing the books and feeding the monks come from?

Transparency here would be important for the donator I feel. We hear so often that donated money doesn't arrive where it was supposed to go.

It's interesting for me, because I am at present looking for a rain forest organisation, I may have found one, but need to find out more.

metta,

Anna
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

If it is of interest to anyone, I run Dhamma Aid Cambodia http://www.parami.org/dhammaaidcambodia/. We are not a registered charity...It has been a private project funded by friends and family. If you are not uncomfortable with that, donations are welcome.