Adhamma

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
retrofuturist

Re: Adhamma

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sanghamitta,
Sanghamitta wrote:It does what it says on the tin.
Indeed. So don't forget that the Dhammic Free For All tin is labelled like this....
No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadhamma. Argue about rebirth, kamma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.
And that its guidelines are as follows...
1. Be nice to each other

Basic interpersonal decency must be observed within this forum. Feel free to attack the ideas of others, but never attack them personally, either directly or by inference. This need for interpersonal decency extends also to those who may have originally conceived the ideas being debated (e.g. the Buddha, commentators, bhikkhus, scholars).

2. If you notice that Point 1 is not being observed...

Use the Report Post function and we will attend to your report as quickly as practicable, given our available staff. Please do not publicly quote and object to the content of a post, because this then embeds it within the flow of conversation and it becomes difficult for moderators to extract the offending material without disrupting the thread. Public complaints, regardless of how legitimate, tend to take threads off-topic and have a tendency to become a sideshow unto themselves.

3. The "Free-for-all" forum may not be suitable for everyone

The purpose of this sub-forum is to openly permit important and challenging discussion on the Dhamma. By establishing a particular forum as a Free-For-All, albeit one where members must still be nice to each other, we aim to keep other areas of the site free from vociferous debate. We have attempted to establish an appropriate time and place for everything, with well established boundaries that will be enforced. Therefore, if you deem that vociferous debate is not conducive to your practice, you have the opportunity to fine tune your experience at Dhamma Wheel by sticking to forums better aligned with your practice that will be protected from such intense debate.
A time and a place for everything...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dan74

Re: Adhamma

Post by Dan74 »

Shonin wrote:[....] My words seem to be falling on deaf ears, so there seems little point in continuing to flog this dead horse.

Note to self: in Dhamma Wheel, 'Buddhism' means 'Theravada Buddhism'.
I guess there is a tendency to say :goodpost: to a post that agrees with one's view, or one's take on the Buddhadhamma.

Perhaps a better strategy would be to linger on a post that challenges one's view and try to understand where that view is coming from.

But realistically I don't think many people are interested in broadening their views of Dhamma as much as deepening them and this is a good thing. And after some depth, it may be time to broaden. I've seen this pattern with family and friends in other religions as well.

Still I find it good to put the "other" view out there "for the record". Let folks make of it what they will. Useful for some, useless for others. I try now to keep it within the Dhammic-Free-for-All not to upset people who don't want to be confused by these views or feel they are being proselytized to. Likewise I appreciate feedback on my views that challenges the way I approach Buddhadharma and makes me stop and try to understand where this view is coming from. Especially (but not only) when it is supported by good quotations!
_/|\_