Nuts - too much of a good thing?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
m0rl0ck

Nuts - too much of a good thing?

Post by m0rl0ck »

I get most of my protein from beans, rice, and nuts. I have done some looking online and nuts are supposed to be good for you, but nothing i have read about addresses the question of how much is too much of a good thing.
I eat about 2 pounds of mixed nuts a week, i walk a bit every day, do yoga a few times a week and my weight stays at about 160 (5' 9" tall).
Reading the nutritional info on the sides of the containers, i was flabbergasted at the amount of fat in nuts. Is it safe to eat 2 pounds of mixed nuts a week or should i cut back?
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Moggalana

Re: Nuts - too much of a good thing?

Post by Moggalana »

Well the fat in nuts is 'good' as they say (unsaturated fats and omega-3s). As long as you don't gain any weight, the high fat and calorie amount shouldn't be a problem. For more information: http://www.google.de/#hl=de&q=fat+nuts& ... 9e1739683f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

This article may be of interest:

Say Nuts to Heart Disease

Adding nuts to your diet may reduce the risk of heart disease
By Richard N. Fogoros, M.D., Updated May 11, 2010

Evidence continues to accumulate that eating nuts is healthy for your heart.
Several studies conducted over the years have strongly suggested that eating an ounce of nuts four or five times a week can significantly reduce your risk of coronary artery disease - by as much as 40%. (An ounce of most nuts is about three or four tablespoons.)

In fact, by 2003, the accumulated data was compelling enough that the FDA issued a formal statement saying that eating certain specific nuts -— almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, walnuts, and peanuts -- could reduce the risk of heart disease.

Most recently, investigators from Loma Linda University published a meta-analysis of 25 studies which looked at nut consumption and blood lipid levels. They found that men and women who ate roughly two ounces of nuts per day significantly reduced their LDL cholesterol levels, by an average of about 10 mg/Dl.

There are several other reasons nuts may be useful in protecting from coronary artery disease. In addition to unsaturated fats and plant fiber (both of which may be responsible for the reduction of LDL), nuts also contain arginine, a precursor to nitric acid, which is a substance made in the walls of blood vessels that relaxes the blood vessels and prevents clotting. And some nuts -- especially walnuts -- contain alpha-linolenic acid, a precursor to omega-3 fatty acid, which helps protect against heart disease.

The question often arises as to whether the same benefits are seen with peanuts, which are technically legumes, not nuts. The answer is, simply, yes. Peanuts contain the same beneficial stuff as "real" nuts, and have been associated with the same cardiovascular benefits.

Precautions:

Nothing is free in this world. While nuts may be good for you, they have some drawbacks that should be taken into account:
Nuts are loaded with calories. A handful of nuts contains about 150 calories. So, while they should be included in a heart-healthy diet, they shouldn't just be added, they should be substituted for another source of calories. Otherwise, the benefits might be negated by your expanding waistline.

Nuts with a sugary coating add even more calories to your diet.

Salted nuts may cause problems with your blood pressure.

Brazil nuts contain a relatively large amount of saturated fats, and should not be selectively added to the diet.
How to add nuts to your diet sensibly:

Plain nuts are best -- not coated in anything, and not salted.

To avoid nut-induced weight gain, substitute nuts for something else. Good candidates for foods you can profitably displace from your diet with a tablespoon or two of nuts are: potato chips, butter, candy, ice cream, and any processed food (most of which are loaded with bad fats of one type or another).

Add some nuts to your salad, pasta dishes, and fish dishes.

Choosing cereals that contain nuts makes sense, but make sure the cereal isn't clogged up with saturated fats or trans fatty acids, as much processed cereal is. As always, read the labels.
A final word of wisdom:

Just because nuts and alcohol (in small amounts) may be good for the heart, it does not necessarily follow that the ideal food is beer nuts.
Sources:

Food and Drug Administration. Qualified health claims: Letter of enforcement discretion—Nuts and coronary heart disease (Docket No 02P-0505). 2003. Available at http://www.fda.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Sabaté J, Oda K, Ros E. Nut consumption and blood lipid levels. Arch Intern Med 2010; 170:821-827.
http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/riskfactors/a/nuts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

I tend to eat a lot of plain nuts and almonds, too, so far without detrimental effects ;)

I have been aware of their fat levels though but it doesn't seem to matter much as my blood works are pretty good.
I eat about 4 handful of nuts/almonds almost every day as my dinner snack (I don't cook for dinner) and that works fine with me.

So, if you like it and don't notice any side effects, enjoy :)
alan

Post by alan »

If you're looking to add protein to your diet try a good Whey powder. I like Jarrow brands.
Rice is a poor source.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I don't eat a lot of nuts, because I gain weight then.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Annapurna wrote:I don't eat a lot of nuts, because I gain weight then.
Me too.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

One "nut" to be avoided for many people is the peanut, which isnt actually a nut at all hence the inverted commas..some people are sensitive to it and get allergic symptoms . Even among those who show no sensitivity many tend to be made acid by them.
Clueless Git

Post by Clueless Git »

Hmmmm ...

Gandhi believed that he knackered his digestive system up by trying to live on virtualy fruit and nuts alone.

I have heard that it was a similar fruit'n'nut diet that has caused the DL's controversial health problem.

Also have read that you could do yourself harm by eating too many carrots ...

No idea what the safe limit for nut consumption is.

All I do know is that letting my body tell me what it needs seems to have worked ok and it never tells me that I need more than half a handfull of nuts every now and again
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

One of my teachers once explained to me, that extremes in diet should be avoided.

"A bit of everything is the best" this old nun said...

We were sitting in the train, traveling to or from Rome. Still see her before me, because it made so much sense to me.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Thanks for the responses everybody, especially liked the article that chris posted ( i didnt find that one in my googling i dont think) , if the folks in the study were doing ok on about a pound a week, i feel better about my consumption.
As far as the mention of digestive problems goes, i started having some around the end of 2008 and have been experimenting with my diet since then. What i am doing now seems to be working so i think i will stick with it. I dont really worry about weight i usually stay within 10 pounds or so of 160, lucky genes i guess :)
Last edited by m0rl0ck on Sat May 15, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

alan wrote:If you're looking to add protein to your diet try a good Whey powder. I like Jarrow brands.
Rice is a poor source.
My body doesnt really seem to like dairy too much or too much animal protein of any kind for that matter. Or wheat or too many refined carbs of any kind.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Walnuts are a good source of omega-3's for vegetarians.

I like other nuts, but I rarely eat the salted ones from a can. Most of the time I use raw nuts, toast them myself, and add them to various recipes, or add them plain to salads.

Peanuts are not really nuts. They are legumes.
alan

Post by alan »

m0rl0k,
If you don't consume dairy, animal protein, or wheat, or any refined carbs, well then what do you eat?
Nuts and salads all day?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Nuts can be very healthy. The thing about them is that they are very hard to digest-- almost as hard to digest as unboiled milk is. Undigested food can be unhealthy. So it is important to eat nuts at the right time.

Kevin