What did the Buddha teach the Lay people?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Wind

What did the Buddha teach the Lay people?

Post by Wind »

I read the Dhamma that the lay people hear is different than the ones given to bhikkhus. What did the Buddha teach to the lay people?
bodom

Re: What did the Buddha teach the Lay people?

Post by bodom »

See this thread:

Suttas for the Householder
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... =259#p2290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Wind

Post by Wind »

thanks bodom
bodom

Post by bodom »

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Wind wrote:I read the Dhamma that the lay people hear is different than the ones given to bhikkhus. What did the Buddha teach to the lay people?
In general, this is probably true. However, lest we make an overly sharp distinction between "lay" and "monastic" persons and their teachings, it may also be helpful to point out that there would also be a range of different teachings in both types, dependent on the person to whom the Buddha was teaching.

Or, in other words, the Buddha usually gave very specific teachings to people in accord with not only what they needed, but also what they were capable of understanding and putting into practice.

In that time, when teachings are oral matters, and when the Buddha himself - and his great disciples - were capable of comprehending the audience in a manner and through means that many of us probably cannot really fathom, this is incredibly effective. However, in the modern day and age, with not only print but also digital information, all these teachings become open to the same extent - whether or not we are capable of understanding and practicing them or not. This is true with a personal guide or teacher, who may give us personal instruction to the extent appropriate, but for those who do not have such teachers and rely solely on books and the 'net, we must admit that this is a far cry from the original circumstances and conditions under which the Dhamma was taught by the Buddha himself.

:soap:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Wind

Post by Wind »

Well said venerable. Sometimes it seems to cause a lot of confusion with the exposure to all the teachings we have available today. I hope one day I can find a teacher who has the ability to understand me well and give me the right instructions that I need to progress.
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

From another perspective - what did the Buddha *not* teach the lay people?

It is said the Buddha taught with an open hand - hiding nothing - this is true regarding the lay people, right?

Monks displaying their knowledge and abilities was another matter though ... (abhiñña)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Anicca,
Anicca wrote:From another perspective - what did the Buddha *not* teach the lay people?
Have you read this sutta?
MN 143 Anathapindikovada Sutta: Instructions to Anathapindika
Ven. Sariputta offers a deep teaching on non-clinging to the ailing lay-follower Anathapindika.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[Sariputta:]
"Then, householder, you should train yourself in this way: 'I won't cling to what is seen, heard, sensed, cognized, attained, sought after, pondered by the intellect; my consciousness will not be dependent on that.' That's how you should train yourself."

When this was said, Anathapindika the householder wept and shed tears. Ven. Ananda said to him, "Are you sinking, householder? Are you foundering?"

"No, venerable sir. I'm not sinking, nor am I foundering. It's just that for a long time I have attended to the Teacher, and to the monks who inspire my heart, but never before have I heard a talk on the Dhamma like this."

[Sariputta:] '"This sort of talk on the Dhamma, householder, is not given to lay people clad in white. This sort of talk on the Dhamma is given to those gone forth."

"In that case, Ven. Sariputta, please let this sort of talk on the Dhamma be given to lay people clad in white. There are clansmen with little dust in their eyes who are wasting away through not hearing [this] Dhamma. There will be those who will understand it."
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Off the topic of my head I don't recall instances of the Buddha teaching deepened states of concentration to householders.

Does anyone know otherwise?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

mikenz66 wrote:Have you read this sutta?
Reaching for a kleenex - yes - thank you

metta
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

retrofuturist wrote:...I don't recall instances of the Buddha teaching deepened states of concentration to householders.
Not off hand, but it really struck me reading what the forest tradition Ajahns write about the simple minded isolated villagers getting it zipola from a simple buddho intro - makes me wonder how handicapped i am with all my american big city edjuhkayshun.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Retro:
retrofuturist wrote:...I don't recall instances of the Buddha teaching deepened states of concentration to householders.
There are a number of cases in the Majjhiima Nikaya For example:
MN 51.4
... Pessa, the elephant driver's son said: "It is wonderful, venerable sir, it is marvellous how well the four foundations of mindfulness have been made known by the Blessed One ... For, venerable sir, we white-clothed lay people also from time to time abide with our minds well established in the four foundations of mindfulness ...
MN 145.7
... Then, during the Rains, the venerable Punna established 500 men lay followers and 500 women lay followers in the practice, ...
Mike

Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike,

Yes, certainly there's teachings of a vipassana, satipatthana, aggregates, sense base etc. type variety given to householders.

It's more those regarding jhana (rupa / arupa) etc. that I was thinking of.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

Astus linked to this pdf, Layman Saints, which lists suttas depicting lay people accomplished in jhana but not of what the Buddha taught them specifically...
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: Yes, certainly there's teachings of a vipassana, satipatthana, aggregates, sense base etc. type variety given to householders.

It's more those regarding jhana (rupa / arupa) etc. that I was thinking of.
Well, yes, but some would argue that many of the instructions in the Satipatthana Sutta imply, or at least approach, jhana. In any case, it's not a beginners achievement to be established in satipatthana.
And the second quote I gave was not specifically on satipatthana.

As I recall, there is a Sutta, which I thought was in the MN, where a lay follower tells someone from another sect (a Niganta etc) that he does not have to take some meditative attainment on faith because he has achieved it. Perhaps someone else can recall it.

Mike