Meditation Seat

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Collective

Meditation Seat

Post by Collective »

I'm looking to make my own meditation seat from wood.

It's the type where the seat part slopes down slightly to accomodate the natural 'fall' of the hips:

I was hoping someone could give me the degree measurements for the tilt, and any other dimensions like height and depth.

Thank you :)
Moggalana

Re: Meditation Seat

Post by Moggalana »

I bought my meditation seat online. They have two sizes:
small (body height <1,75m): front part height: 173mm / back part height: 195mm
large (body height >1,75m): front part height: 213mm / back part height: 235mm

I am 1,90m tall and the large one fits well. I chose the version with the carved bottom, so I can adjust the tilt easily.

Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Collective

Post by Collective »

I'm 5' 5" and 11 stone, I've just found one on ebay and it looks to be perfect, so here's hoping.

Thanks for the pics and the information though!
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Such a seat can be very useful Collective. I know several people who had difficulty in sustaining a meditative posture who swear by them.
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

PeterB wrote:Such a seat can be very useful Collective. I know several people who had difficulty in sustaining a meditative posture who swear by them.
Indeed. After my knees got used to it, I can now sit far longer and better than with any cross-legged posture.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Collective

Post by Collective »

This is what I am hoping for too. I know we are supposed to sit through various aches and pains but I think it would massively aid my concentration if all I had to worry about was my actual focus.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

These plans look workable:

http://www.embody.co.uk/blog/post/how_t ... tion_stool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://seizabench.com/seiza-bench-plans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the brace in the second set of plans, but the L brackets would probably work as well.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig