Meditation Seat

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Meditation Seat

Postby Collective » Sun May 16, 2010 6:46 am

I'm looking to make my own meditation seat from wood.

It's the type where the seat part slopes down slightly to accomodate the natural 'fall' of the hips:

I was hoping someone could give me the degree measurements for the tilt, and any other dimensions like height and depth.

Thank you :)
Collective

Re: Meditation Seat

Postby Moggalana » Sun May 16, 2010 8:21 am

I bought my meditation seat online. They have two sizes:
small (body height <1,75m): front part height: 173mm / back part height: 195mm
large (body height >1,75m): front part height: 213mm / back part height: 235mm

I am 1,90m tall and the large one fits well. I chose the version with the carved bottom, so I can adjust the tilt easily.

Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moggalana

Postby Collective » Sun May 16, 2010 9:38 am

I'm 5' 5" and 11 stone, I've just found one on ebay and it looks to be perfect, so here's hoping.

Thanks for the pics and the information though!
Collective

Postby PeterB » Sun May 16, 2010 10:42 am

Such a seat can be very useful Collective. I know several people who had difficulty in sustaining a meditative posture who swear by them.
PeterB

Postby Moggalana » Sun May 16, 2010 11:11 am

PeterB wrote:Such a seat can be very useful Collective. I know several people who had difficulty in sustaining a meditative posture who swear by them.

Indeed. After my knees got used to it, I can now sit far longer and better than with any cross-legged posture.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moggalana

Postby Collective » Sun May 16, 2010 3:40 pm

This is what I am hoping for too. I know we are supposed to sit through various aches and pains but I think it would massively aid my concentration if all I had to worry about was my actual focus.
Collective

Postby m0rl0ck » Sun May 16, 2010 4:18 pm

These plans look workable:

http://www.embody.co.uk/blog/post/how_t ... tion_stool

http://seizabench.com/seiza-bench-plans/

I like the brace in the second set of plans, but the L brackets would probably work as well.
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Return to Theravada Meditation