Papanca

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Papanca

Postby PeterB » Tue May 18, 2010 7:59 am

Perhaps a subforum of the Lounge could be created called " Managed And Contained Papanca " in recognition of what appears to be a genuine need. :smile: Or perhaps it already exists.
PeterB

Re: Papanca

Postby tiltbillings » Tue May 18, 2010 8:04 am

PeterB wrote:Perhaps a subforum of the Lounge could be created called " Managed And Contained Papanca " in recognition of what appears to be a genuine need. :smile: Or perhaps it already exists.
What be posted there?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby PeterB » Tue May 18, 2010 8:10 am

Well I guess if it that subforum exists naming its content would defeat the purpose..
PeterB

Postby tiltbillings » Tue May 18, 2010 8:14 am

PeterB wrote:Well I guess if it that subforum exists naming its content would defeat the purpose..
When I helped moderate BeliefNet's Buddhist forum (years ago, before it changed and messed up it messaging systems and sold its soul to Fox Noise), I created a section called Avici Hell where all grossly off-topic (derailing) postings were consigned. Something such as that?
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby PeterB » Tue May 18, 2010 8:18 am

Yes good one. We must of course imagine an Avici Hell where everyone is temporarily content. We must imagine Sysiphus distracted.
PeterB

Postby Aloka » Tue May 18, 2010 8:18 am

PeterB wrote:Perhaps a subforum of the Lounge could be created called " Managed And Contained Papanca " in recognition of what appears to be a genuine need. :smile: Or perhaps it already exists.

Might it not eventually be bursting at the seams, Peter ?

:rofl:
Aloka

Postby Pannapetar » Tue May 18, 2010 8:27 am

I don't think this is a particularly good idea, as it would automatically foster interventionism, overmoderation, and censoring. This board appears to do quite well without it.

Cheers, Thomas
Pannapetar

Postby PeterB » Tue May 18, 2010 8:29 am

Its a characteristic of papanca , Aloka that its expansive qualities are without limit...
Peter's Third Law of Papanca Dynamics states;
" When free to proliferate without constraint papanca will eventually fill the nearest universe ".

which of course should always be set against the Fourth Law ;

" When papanca expands to four times its volume the smell of the ordure of the male bovine will set in motion processes that will eventually end that particular expansion".
PeterB

Postby Paññāsikhara » Tue May 18, 2010 8:31 am

tiltbillings wrote:
PeterB wrote:Well I guess if it that subforum exists naming its content would defeat the purpose..
When I helped moderate BeliefNet's Buddhist forum (years ago, before it changed and messed up it messaging systems and sold its soul to Fox Noise), I created a section called Avici Hell where all grossly off-topic (derailing) postings were consigned. Something such as that?

I don't know if it was visible to non-Mods at E-Sangha, but all the posts which were deleted were put, temporarily of course, for nothing conditioned is permanent, in a special little Forum space called "The Bardo" (= intermediate existence). Of course, being Theravadins, such a name would have doctrinal issues. :tongue:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby tiltbillings » Tue May 18, 2010 8:40 am

Paññāsikhara wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

I don't know if it was visible to non-Mods at E-Sangha, but all the posts which were deleted were put, temporarily of course, for nothing conditioned is permanent, in a special little Forum space called "The Bardo" (= intermediate existence). Of course, being Theravadins, such a name would have doctrinal issues. :tongue:
To let out a wee secret we have the "Charnel Grounds" (borrowed from Termite's Websangha) for posts that have been removed from view.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 18, 2010 8:55 am

Greetings Peter,

Check out what the Lounge was called on the prototype version of Dhamma Wheel...

http://lotuscafe.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 am

Really ! thats amazing.. :smile:
Its like when I make up a song..it usually sounds suspiciously like something I have already heard..
PeterB

Postby Ben » Tue May 18, 2010 9:01 am

PeterB wrote:Its a characteristic of papanca , Aloka that its expansive qualities are without limit...
Peter's Third Law of Papanca Dynamics states;
" When free to proliferate without constraint papanca will eventually fill the nearest universe ".

Funny. It reminds me of something Philip K Dick wrote about in Do andrioids dream of electric sheep. If you've seen the movie Bladerunner, and not read the book, its the weird asberger-like character who builds little android-like companions and plays chess with the CEO of the android company. This character, whose name escapes me because its been well over 30 years since I read it, had a pet theory about the self-replicating principle of crap. It was beautiful! Then years later and reading Ledi Sayadaw for the first time, I read about it all over again. Papancanaana was never so sweet.
metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Tue May 18, 2010 9:04 am

:lol:

It strikes me that this joke "suggestion" has itself expanded rather beyond the Suggestion Box..
PeterB

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 18, 2010 9:06 am

One might say it has proliferated....

If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Tue May 18, 2010 9:13 am

See Peter's Third Law..do you think mods the bovine ordure limitation should kick in leading to locking..or ironically it should head to the Lounge ?
PeterB

Postby Goofaholix » Tue May 18, 2010 9:24 am

Buddhists on the internet has a direct causal relationship with the proliferation of papanca, the first step is to admit that you are a papanca-a-holic, if we weren't doing it on the internet we'd be sitting on a cushion watching our minds do it anyway.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Paññāsikhara » Tue May 18, 2010 9:54 am

Goofaholix wrote:

Buddhists on the internet has a direct causal relationship with the proliferation of papanca, the first step is to admit that you are a papanca-a-holic, if we weren't doing it on the internet we'd be sitting on a cushion watching our minds do it anyway.

Admit I'm a prapanca-holic?

Never!

I am the Mahaprapancaraja!! :woohoo:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby PeterB » Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 am

Makes you wonder how we Papancaholics managed before the Internet.
Actually I remember...One would attend a teaching at The Buddhist Society and after the talk there would be a Q and A session..the speaker would start rounding off, and someone , almost always a guy not a gal, would ignore the cues and say something like, " I have always felt that Anatta was actually an Atlantean concept "...at which point everyone would groan softly as they realised that tea and biccies had just been postponed for another half hour.
PeterB

Postby Kim OHara » Tue May 18, 2010 11:34 am

Having read the whole thread (so far), and having been less-than-kind in another thread not so long ago, I humbly suggest that we need to remember that lotuses do grow in ... muck ... and allow the papanca to accumulate for the sake of the occasional lotus arising from it.
:meditate:

Kim
Kim OHara

Next

Return to Suggestion box