Papanca

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
PeterB

Re: Papanca

Post by PeterB »

See Peter's Third Law..do you think mods the bovine ordure limitation should kick in leading to locking..or ironically it should head to the Lounge ?
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

PeterB wrote:Perhaps a subforum of the Lounge could be created called " Managed And Contained Papanca " in recognition of what appears to be a genuine need. :smile: Or perhaps it already exists.
Buddhists on the internet has a direct causal relationship with the proliferation of papanca, the first step is to admit that you are a papanca-a-holic, if we weren't doing it on the internet we'd be sitting on a cushion watching our minds do it anyway.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Goofaholix wrote:
PeterB wrote:Perhaps a subforum of the Lounge could be created called " Managed And Contained Papanca " in recognition of what appears to be a genuine need. :smile: Or perhaps it already exists.
Buddhists on the internet has a direct causal relationship with the proliferation of papanca, the first step is to admit that you are a papanca-a-holic, if we weren't doing it on the internet we'd be sitting on a cushion watching our minds do it anyway.
Admit I'm a prapanca-holic?

Never!

I am the Mahaprapancaraja!! :woohoo:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Makes you wonder how we Papancaholics managed before the Internet.
Actually I remember...One would attend a teaching at The Buddhist Society and after the talk there would be a Q and A session..the speaker would start rounding off, and someone , almost always a guy not a gal, would ignore the cues and say something like, " I have always felt that Anatta was actually an Atlantean concept "...at which point everyone would groan softly as they realised that tea and biccies had just been postponed for another half hour.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Having read the whole thread (so far), and having been less-than-kind in another thread not so long ago, I humbly suggest that we need to remember that lotuses do grow in ... muck ... and allow the papanca to accumulate for the sake of the occasional lotus arising from it.
:meditate:

Kim
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I guess the question becomes is papanca fertile mud, or is it clogging weeds ?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

PeterB wrote:I guess the question becomes is papanca fertile mud, or is it clogging weeds ?
...Or is it like the previous sentence and this one, merely just conceptual proliferation ?

:rofl:
termite

Post by termite »

tiltbillings wrote:To let out a wee secret we have the "Charnel Grounds" (borrowed from Termite's Websangha) for posts that have been removed from view.
It's strange that I was unaccountably drawn to read this thread tonight, when I haven't logged on here for ages. Odd.

It's nice to know that something has been inspired by Websangha, but it's a bit disconcerting to find that it's a boneyard. Night of the Living Dead, maybe? ;)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Termite and welcome back to DW!

The charnel ground is actually very useful for our purposes.
think most people who have moderated on discussion boards will agree that its important to keep an archive of off-topic and generally unsuitable posts as it improves the quality of moderation.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..