Do you (still) visit any Non -Buddhist forae?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
SDC

Re: Do you (still) visit any Non -Buddhist forae?

Post by SDC »

I still visit, but barely post anymore in a skiing forum. That place is rowdy. For the most part self moderated, so you can imagine that it gets pretty nasty. The members get on the mods when they get too hands on. Its hard to be an "active" participant over there, despite the great skiing info, pictures and video. The attitudes are very raw. I don't mind that so much because that is the nature of the place and it was like that when I signed up, but I just don't get involved in the nonsense.

I understand what you are saying, Anna, but it seems to be something you needed to take a few steps away from anyway. You were trying to do something honest to keep a place calm and civilized, but they didn't seem to want your advice.

That seems to come with the territory for people that practice Buddhism and other disciplined ways of life - most of the world doesn't want to hear it because it causes them to reflect on the possible shortcomings of their own way of living. Most people aren't prepared to handle that - they just get angry and want to fight against it. It is just difficult to see when that is going to be the reaction.

Some situations are very difficult to engage in which there are good results for all parties involved. If we can't see the proper way to approach it, it may be best to step back. Unless of course we would be the only ones to get the bad end of it and all others would benefit...perhaps that would be the correct action take. But that is another topic. :smile:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
EricJ

Post by EricJ »

I visit a forum for INTJs. My behavior in that forum is comparable to my behavior in this one; meaning I peruse more than I post.
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I had never been on a forum before E-Sangha. Considering how much time I spend reading posts here and 2 other Buddhist forae, I couldn't imagine being on any other type of forum. I have a facebook account, but I update my status less than once a month and I rarely read the updates.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

SDC wrote:I still visit, but barely post anymore in a skiing forum. That place is rowdy. For the most part self moderated, so you can imagine that it gets pretty nasty. The members get on the mods when they get too hands on. Its hard to be an "active" participant over there, despite the great skiing info, pictures and video. The attitudes are very raw. I don't mind that so much because that is the nature of the place and it was like that when I signed up, but I just don't get involved in the nonsense.

I understand what you are saying, Anna, but it seems to be something you needed to take a few steps away from anyway. You were trying to do something honest to keep a place calm and civilized, but they didn't seem to want your advice.

That seems to come with the territory for people that practice Buddhism and other disciplined ways of life - most of the world doesn't want to hear it because it causes them to reflect on the possible shortcomings of their own way of living. Most people aren't prepared to handle that - they just get angry and want to fight against it. It is just difficult to see when that is going to be the reaction.

Some situations are very difficult to engage in which there are good results for all parties involved. If we can't see the proper way to approach it, it may be best to step back.
Unless of course we would be the only ones to get the bad end of it and all others would benefit...perhaps that would be the correct action take. But that is another topic. :smile:
:goodpost:
SDC

Post by SDC »

Annapurna wrote:
SDC wrote:I still visit, but barely post anymore in a skiing forum. That place is rowdy. For the most part self moderated, so you can imagine that it gets pretty nasty. The members get on the mods when they get too hands on. Its hard to be an "active" participant over there, despite the great skiing info, pictures and video. The attitudes are very raw. I don't mind that so much because that is the nature of the place and it was like that when I signed up, but I just don't get involved in the nonsense.

Some situations are very difficult to engage in which there are good results for all parties involved. If we can't see the proper way to approach it, it may be best to step back.
Unless of course we would be the only ones to get the bad end of it and all others would benefit...perhaps that would be the correct action take. But that is another topic. :smile:
:goodpost:
Thank you. :smile:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Something else came to my mind:

I know one of the mods in this forum a bit better. She seems 'spiritual', but is following New Age ideas.

A while ago she and I had a longer conversation via PN.

Very frequently she mentioned health problems in threads. So I sent her a PM, asking if I could help.

She shared her stressful situation.

She has not forgiven her mother for something, like a divorce, and going away, and she is very resentful as a result. Her mother became ill. She has cancer. She contacted her daughter. She would like to depart from this life having made her peace with her, speak with her. She wants her to visit. She wants her to come over after her death, and take care of dissolving the household, mind you, she didn't ask: Take care of me while I'm still alive, help me, wash me, feed me, give me medicine, hold my hand when I pass.

Nothing of that sort.

She said her daughter would inherit everything.

Her daughter, let's call her Alex, was in a deep dilemma because of this, because she has not forgiven her mother, she holds on to the grudge, and doesn't really want to see her....only thinking of herself, and how much stress this might cause her.

No thought was spent on the situation of her mom.

:shock:

As a result, she became ill, getting all sorts of diseases. It reminded me of the Dhammapada, where the Buddha speaks of what happens to people who fails others.
I gently spoke with Alex about all the good her mother had done to her when she was little, and before she had to escape a bad marriage, in ways which are not for me to judge.

I tried to smooth over her ruffles feathers, and encourage her to let go of old reproaches and make a new start. To forgive, and do something humane, which is to help her mother come to peace with the past, and alleviate her suffering and death by being around with loving kindness.

I encouraged her to be selfless for a while, to make it easier on somebody. And that her health might rapidly improve. And that she might never forgive herself, if she let that chance to reconcile go by. That she may arrive at a new very beneficial POV.

She had excuses. Her daughter has to go to school. Etc.

To be honest, I was shocked and sad.....

I should have left then. If she is so hard to her own mother, how will she be to almost strangers, like forum members? But I sometimes feel such hope against all odds, that a Dhamma person may have a beneficial impact, but then, I am not a teaching Buddha. I know I reached a few members. They thanked me.

That shall suffice.

PS: I'm not perfect, and hope it didn't sound that way.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Annapurna wrote:PS: I'm not perfect, and hope it didn't sound that way.
I did not think you were coming off like that at all.

That's a rough situation with your friend. You did give her advice that would have given her and her mother a chance to help each other out in more ways than one. Too bad she couldn't see past her own issues. Hopefully she does before its too late.

It gets interesting, especially on the internet, when we stop, for whatever reason, maintaining our "internet image/persona" and really get into our deep and personal thoughts and opinions. At that point we often find other people not to be anything like we imagined. We often shock ourselves with our own conduct towards others when they "upset" us. Question is - who's to blame in these situations? Others, for not living up to our expectations? Ourselves, for assuming we knew them? Ourselves, for assuming we knew ourselves?!

Regardless where we place blame, I think there are lessons to be learned. So at least there is some benefit to be found when they occur.
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

well, I think it is easier to suggest forgiveness to others than having to do it oneself if there is a deep-seated hurt involved, I guess. One of the things easier said then done, perhaps

That's why I find metta mditation so important; it starts with the easy targets and oneself and only then moves to the "hard cases" ;) Count your blessings that you have learned that lesson already. :D There are many of us still reaching our limits there in some cases ;) perhaps one day this forum friend of yours might get to this point as well, but she probably has to heal some more ... :hug:
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

this is it, i was on esangha and i would join but never really post on some other buddhist boards, a decade ago i ran a board for musicians in a certain genre i was involved in and i was also on a board dedicated to a record label i had close ties with but that ended badly.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

SDC wrote:
Annapurna wrote:PS: I'm not perfect, and hope it didn't sound that way.
I did not think you were coming off like that at all.

That's a rough situation with your friend. You did give her advice that would have given her and her mother a chance to help each other out in more ways than one. Too bad she couldn't see past her own issues. Hopefully she does before its too late.

It gets interesting, especially on the internet, when we stop, for whatever reason, maintaining our "internet image/persona" and really get into our deep and personal thoughts and opinions. At that point we often find other people not to be anything like we imagined. We often shock ourselves with our own conduct towards others when they "upset" us. Question is - who's to blame in these situations? Others, for not living up to our expectations? Ourselves, for assuming we knew them? Ourselves, for assuming we knew ourselves?!

Regardless where we place blame, I think there are lessons to be learned. So at least there is some benefit to be found when they occur.
I'm glad I didn't come across arrogant.
I hope so as well.
It gets interesting, especially on the internet, when we stop, for whatever reason, maintaining our "internet image/persona"
I agree, many people may be cultivating an "internet persona". Sorry if I talk about myself, but I can't be anything but myself. Gets me in trouble too. :roll:
At that point we often find other people not to be anything like we imagined. We often shock ourselves with our own conduct towards others when they "upset" us. Question is - who's to blame in these situations? Others, for not living up to our expectations? Ourselves, for assuming we knew them? Ourselves, for assuming we knew ourselves?!
Interesting....but -
It's not about blame for me. I become sad over the world altogether, at times, the degree of delusion, chasing all the wrong tails.... (all the things I chase/d as well....)

What a wild world this is.

Surely you know what I mean?
I think there are lessons to be learned. So at least there is some benefit to be found when they occur.
Oh, absolutely. I'm thankful for this challenge, actually, it's enlightening and now I am happy about everything and at peace with it... :smile:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I enjoy thinking about what you bring up...

Anna
Fede

Post by Fede »

I frequent three others that are non-Buddhist.
One is a Grammar and language forum discussing the finer points of language, origin, etymology and definition of English words, (it's all I can do to prevent myself discussing your title.....!)
....And the other two are relationships forums, where I have garnered a reputation of "tell-it-like-it-is~ness".
I'm a Moderator on one.

As you can imagine, opinions vary and emotions can run high.... :sage:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SDC

Post by SDC »

Annapurna wrote:I agree, many people may be cultivating an "internet persona". Sorry if I talk about myself, but I can't be anything but myself. Gets me in trouble too. :roll:
I wasn't referring to you. It was a general statement. Sorry for not clarifying.
Annapurna wrote:Interesting....but -
It's not about blame for me. I become sad over the world altogether, at times, the degree of delusion, chasing all the wrong tails.... (all the things I chase/d as well....)

What a wild world this is.

Surely you know what I mean?
Indeed it is.
Annapurna wrote:Oh, absolutely. I'm thankful for this challenge, actually, it's enlightening and now I am happy about everything and at peace with it... :smile:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I enjoy thinking about what you bring up...

Anna
:smile:
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

I've scaled back a lot. I visit fewer sites (sorry for disappearing from here for a while :? )
And I cut back on the volunteering I do at sites like moderating and whatnot.

I really don't have the time or inclination to visit non-Buddhist forums so I don't know what they're like. Sorry to hear about some of the unpleasant experiences!

Best,
Laura