Eckhart Tolle: The Power of Now

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Re: Eckhart Tolle: The Power of Now

Post by Ben »

Hi Shonin

My modem's playing up, so I hope this post gets through.
In response, here is what U Ba Khin (SN Goenka's teacher) said in Essentials of Buddhadhamma in Meditative Practice.
The experience of Anicca, when properly developed, strikes at the root of ones physical and mental ills and removes gradually whatever is bad in him, i.e., the causes of such physical and mental ills. This experience is not reserved for men who have renounced the world for the homeless life. It is for the householder as well. In spite of drawbacks which make a householder restless in these days, a competent teacher or guide can help a student to get the experience of Anicca activated in a comparatively short time. Once he has got it activated, all that is necessary is for him to try and preserve it; but he must make it a point, as soon as time or opportunity presents itself for further progress, to work for the stage of Bhangañana — the third level of knowledge in Vipassana. If he reaches this level, there will be little or no problem because he should then be able to experience Anicca without much ado and almost automatically. In this case Anicca will become his base, to which all his physical and mental activities return as soon as the domestic needs of daily life for such activities are over. However, there is likely to be some difficulty for one who has not reached the stage of Bhanga. It will be just like a tug-of-war for him between Anicca within, and physical and mental activities outside. So it would be wise for him to follow the motto of work while you work, play while you play. There is no need for him to be activating the experience of Anicca all the time. It should suffice if this could be confined to a regular period, or periods, set apart in the day or night for the purpose. During this time, at least, an attempt must be made to keep the attention focused inside the body, with awareness devoted exclusively to Anicca; that is to say, his awareness of Anicca should go on from moment to moment so continuously as not to allow for the interpolation of any discursive or distracting thoughts which are definitely detrimental to progress. In case this is not possible, he will have to go back to respiration-mindfulness, because Samadhi is the key to the contemplation of Anicca.

-- http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... l231.html-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lomd regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

Hi Ben,

Thank you. And look at my changed emphasis below.
The experience of Anicca, when properly developed, strikes at the root of ones physical and mental ills and removes gradually whatever is bad in him, i.e., the causes of such physical and mental ills. This experience is not reserved for men who have renounced the world for the homeless life. It is for the householder as well. In spite of drawbacks which make a householder restless in these days, a competent teacher or guide can help a student to get the experience of Anicca activated in a comparatively short time. Once he has got it activated, all that is necessary is for him to try and preserve it; but he must make it a point, as soon as time or opportunity presents itself for further progress, to work for the stage of Bhangañana — the third level of knowledge in Vipassana. If he reaches this level, there will be little or no problem because he should then be able to experience Anicca without much ado and almost automatically. In this case Anicca will become his base, to which all his physical and mental activities return as soon as the domestic needs of daily life for such activities are over. However, there is likely to be some difficulty for one who has not reached the stage of Bhanga. It will be just like a tug-of-war for him between Anicca within, and physical and mental activities outside. So it would be wise for him to follow the motto of work while you work, play while you play. There is no need for him to be activating the experience of Anicca all the time. It should suffice if this could be confined to a regular period, or periods, set apart in the day or night for the purpose. During this time, at least, an attempt must be made to keep the attention focused inside the body, with awareness devoted exclusively to Anicca; that is to say, his awareness of Anicca should go on from moment to moment so continuously as not to allow for the interpolation of any discursive or distracting thoughts which are definitely detrimental to progress. In case this is not possible, he will have to go back to respiration-mindfulness, because Samadhi is the key to the contemplation of Anicca.
It looks like he agrees with me.
Ben wrote:lomd regards
:tongue: You might want to shift your right hand over to the left very slightly
Ben

Post by Ben »

Indeed! But my experience has been that the more i engage with this practice the more the meditative awareness imbues itself in the daily mundane activities.
The advice is good for those who are starting out on their practice career wanting to develop that 24-7 awareness. I think its better just to keep the daily practice going and constant meditative awareness happens gradually, and importantly, sustainably.

Thanks for alerting me to my typo! its been an interesting night being kicked off the internet every other page refresh by my delinquent modem! I need to watch those keystrokes.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Shonin

Post by Shonin »

Ben wrote:But my experience has been that the more i engage with this practice the more the meditative awareness imbues itself in the daily mundane activities.
Me too - absolutely. The arising of awareness is not too much of an issue. On the other hand, there are activities that actually require abstract thought and cannot be handled effectively in the 'being mode' of moment-to-moment awareness of phenomena. Our ability to go on 'automatic pilot' (not traditional Buddhist terminology I know) while driving a car or walking is very useful.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I understand.
Metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Collective

Post by Collective »

Shonin wrote:Our ability to go on 'automatic pilot' (not traditional Buddhist terminology I know) while driving a car or walking is very useful.
This is very interesting to me as I've experienced this and I also labelled as 'going to the store on auto-pilot'. Like arriving there and wondering how I got there.

What is this exactly? Is it good, bad? Weird thing is I am always aware and in control.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Shonin wrote: :tongue: You might want to shift your right hand over to the left very slightly
Haha, I was about to google "lomd" expecting to see some profound aboriginal word!
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Ben

Post by Ben »

Collective wrote:
Shonin wrote:Our ability to go on 'automatic pilot' (not traditional Buddhist terminology I know) while driving a car or walking is very useful.
This is very interesting to me as I've experienced this and I also labelled as 'going to the store on auto-pilot'. Like arriving there and wondering how I got there.

What is this exactly? Is it good, bad? Weird thing is I am always aware and in control.
Its certainly not mindfulness, that is for sure.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben »

Tex wrote:
Shonin wrote: :tongue: You might want to shift your right hand over to the left very slightly
Haha, I was about to google "lomd" expecting to see some profound aboriginal word!
No such luck, Tex! I don't think I know any profound aboriginal words.
metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Pannapetar

Post by Pannapetar »

Collective wrote:This is very interesting to me as I've experienced this and I also labelled as 'going to the store on auto-pilot'. Like arriving there and wondering how I got there.
It's probably important to distinguish automatic functioning of certain activities from absent-mindedness. There are plenty of body functions that are always on autopilot. In particular, these are the functions controlled by the autonomic nervous system. For example, one is normally not consciously aware of the heartbeat (unless feeling the pulse), or of digestion, or of salivation. The breath is an interesting exception, because the breath is an autonomic function that one can -unlike other autonomic functions- control consciously. Then there are motor actions and motor control. The brain has the capacity to store and recall patterns (programs) of complicated motor action, such as riding a bicycle or playing a piece on the piano. Once these motor control programs are learned through repetition, they can be executed with reduced involvement of consciousness, which is an immensely useful survival feature. Obviously, this is what one would call "conditioning". The object of meditation is NOT to unlearn such conditioning, but to become aware of conditioned patterns by piercing through them. The object of mindfulness is to prevent conditioned patterns from causing inadequate or undesirable responses and to keep body and mind alert, malleable, sensitive, and responsive.

Cheers, Thomas