46 cittas in the eye door?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Alex123

46 cittas in the eye door?

Post by Alex123 »

Hello all,

In CMA compendium of miscellaneous it says that 46 consciousness arise in the eye door. How can this be?

I've thought that only two types of consciousness arise in any of 5 sense doors (kusala vipaka or akusala vipaka) and even then, the interpretation of a/kusala is itself mental (eye doesn't know if the sight is wholesome or unwholesome resultant).

CMA says that these arise at the eye door:
1 five-door adverting
2 eye consciousness
2 receiving consciousness
3 investigating
1 determining
29 sense sphere javanas
8 registration

It seems that almost all of these are mental, not belonging to cakkhu-pasada or bare eye consciousness.

I am not even sure that there can be kusala and akusala vipaka at the eye, after all the eye faculty sees. It is the mind that interprets things as desirable or undesirable, right?

(the only thing is that the body which can feel pain or pleasure which may feel kusala/akusala vipaka. 4 sense faculties themselves are supposed to feel only neutral equinimity).

Can anyone clarify please?

Thanks,

With metta,

Alex
Anicca

Re: 46 cittas in the eye door?

Post by Anicca »

Howdy Alex,

back up to p. 125 "Guide to 9"
"The present section will be less likely to cause perplexity... certain types are named after a single function ... perform many...

next page

the two cittas ... perform five functions...

hope this helps
Metta
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

Sorry to be so lazy with the typing - hope that is enough to get you on your way...
:anjali:
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Thank you for your reply.

As to part of "classification by way of consciousness" pg 125
It is strange that what is meant to be a precise explanation, in some cases is a bit too vague. From one angle certain types of consciousness are named based on single function. From another angle, that name is chosen as convinient designation and does not mean that that type of consciousness so named is confined to that particular function.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=hxopJgv ... ma&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

Howdy Alex - lost my modem...
Alex123 wrote:Thank you for your reply.
Thanks for the opportunity to repay the help you shared in the past.

Alex123 wrote:It is strange that what is meant to be a precise explanation, in some cases is a bit too vague. From one angle certain types of consciousness are named based on single function. From another angle, that name is chosen as convinient designation and does not mean that that type of consciousness so named is confined to that particular function.
Things like that, and the inability to translate one to one into english - how many different English words to explain the single word dukhha or dhamma or citta... sometimes kusala works as "skillful" or "good" for me, in this case - "desirable" works for the eye - as if the some of the concepts themselves aren't difficult enough - plenty of seeming contradiction - only two named citta for the eye door - performing 40 plus functions of many different names!!!

Your questions help teach me - thank you!

Metta