non-violence in extreme cases.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ben

Re: non-violence in extreme cases.

Post by Ben »

Thanks Retro
Both Quinn and i watched that video. It looks cool - but not quite as cool as the real thing!
If you like wii archery, you might want to try it for real. Unfortunately, Archery Australia's 'find a club' page isn't coming up for me so I don't know where the closest club/range is to you.
But if you don't mind going over the bridge - there's a good range in Moorabbin:
Archery Centre Moorabbin: 33 Turner Rd Highett, (03) 9553 1483. I think they have a saturday morning and sunday morning session for beginners.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

cooran wrote:
PeterB said: B) Precepts are guidelines for training, they are not laws, therefore cannot be broken. They can be interpreted skillfully or unskillfully.
Thanissaro Bhikkhu: "The Buddha's path consisted not only of mindfulness, concentration, and insight practices, but also of virtue, beginning with the five precepts. In fact, the precepts constitute the first step in the path. There is a tendency in the West to dismiss the five precepts as Sunday-school rules bound to old cultural norms that no longer apply to our modern society, but this misses the role that the Buddha intended for them: They are part of a course of therapy for wounded minds. In particular, they are aimed at curing two ailments that underlie low self-esteem: regret and denial.
When our actions don't measure up to certain standards of behavior, we either (1) regret the actions or (2) engage in one of two kinds of denial, either (a) denying that our actions did in fact happen or (b) denying that the standards of measurement are really valid.

"http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... cepts.html

Also worth reading at the link below:
Sila (virtue; morality).
~ If you truly care about your welfare, then develop your inner goodness: SN 3.4
~ As the foundation upon which the entire path is built: AN 11.1, AN 11.2
~ As a quality that distinguishes the true contemplative: MN 39
~ As one of the ten Recollections: see Recollections, ten.
~ As a treasure: AN 7.6
~ Guard your ~ well: Iti 76
~ The Buddha's instructions to his young son: MN 61
~ Sariputta's teachings to a dying Anathapindika: MN 143
~ Admirable ~: Iti 97
~ How to recognize a virtuous person: AN 4.192, Ud 6.2
~ How to recognize a wise person: AN 3.2
~ The layperson's code of conduct: DN 31
~ Development of ~ as a way to ease the inevitable bad results of one's past bad deeds: SN 42.8
~ Results of transgressing the precepts: AN 8.40
~ Rewards of observing the precepts: AN 8.39
~ Rewards of skillful conduct; drawbacks of unskillful conduct: AN 2.18
~ Standards of ~ for contemplatives: DN 2
~ Claiming to be enlightened does not justify unrestrained behavior: MN 105
~ Heightened ~ (adhisila): AN 3.88
Articles:
The benefits of morality
The blessings of morality
The precepts as a fivefold faultless gift to oneself and others
"Right Speech" in the Path to Freedom pages
"Right Action" in the Path to Freedom pages
"Right Livelihood" in the Path to Freedom pages
Buddhism and Sex (M. O'C. Walshe)
The Craft of the Heart (Lee)
"The Healing Power of the Precepts" (Thanissaro)
Nourishing the Roots: Essays on Buddhist Ethics (Bodhi)
Violence and Disruption in Society (Harris)
"Virtue" (Mun)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-subject.html#sila" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
I wouldnt argue with any of that. And none of that obviates the need to use our intelligence and rational minds to interpret the precepts for ourselves in any given situation.
Sometimes that means being in line with the consensus view. Sometimes it may not.
Frequently we will discover that outside of selective quoting there is less of a consensus view than we might suppose.
metta P.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Another example which is less emotive than that involving euthanasia.
And may need moving, mods...

I have a friend who has been a practising Theravada Buddhist for almost 50 years.
For many years he served as chair of a local Dhamma group. He has been a student of Vipassana for 30 years, and has helped many others ( including giving financial aid ) to attend Vipassana courses and so on. His dealings with others are characterised by kindliness and warmth. He is an inspiration to many.
He still works tirelessly for the Dhamma.
He also has a glass of wine or sherry after dinner when not on retreat etc.
He does not consider that a breach of any precept.
Is he wrong ?
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

:jawdrop:

Haven't you seen this? http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2578

Not again... !!! :tantrum:

Now I am definitely out of here, before all hell breaks loose... :o

(but don't cheer too soon)
_/|\_
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

So..is my friend J wrong ? Is he in breach of the 5th precept ? Is his glass of Fino a few times a week a slippery slope that will send him and others influenced by him to hell realms ?...
Does his occasional glass of claret equal suramerayamajja pamadatthana ?
Should he be drummed out of the Buddhist Society.?.
a bit difficult that actually, :smile: as they keep a few bottles of sherry in..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Peter,
PeterB wrote:So..is my friend J wrong ? Is he in breach of the 5th precept ?
Has he become intoxicated? Has he become heedless?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Never to my knowledge.
And the fact that he is not addicted can be demonstrated by the fact that he has done regular retreat for years sometimes for several weeks at a time during which he has observed the eight precepts.

I know people particularly in my work life, who cannot safetly drink at all.
I know others including serious Theravadin Buddhists, who can drink in moderation.
They as you are indicating Retro do not become heedless or intoxicated.
I have a friend who has really severe hay fever...the levels of antihistamines he has to take in order to function at all during the summer render him fairly sedated at times..
Is he in breach of the 5th precept ?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Mukunda wrote:
Virgo wrote:Here is the 14 point code of action from the martial art I study, To-Shin Do, which was developed by Stephen K. Hayes, black belt hall of famer, and Bujinkan 10'th Dan (tenth degree black belt).

Each rank has a code of action to develop and train in.

(note the belt colors may seem strange but in To-Shin Do the learning is structured around learning tactics for the five elements in order and the main belt levels have colors associated with them based on traditional color attributes to those elements, so for example, the belts start with yellow for earth. To make matters more complicated, different colored stripes are needed to indicate the stages within each elements training).

Yellow Belt
I protect life and health,
I avoid violence whenever possible...
I am not getting the logic of avoiding violence by preparing for it. Does this not set up inevitable mental conflict? Avoid violence, but if you can't, engage in it? :shrug:
Preparing for violence is not avoiding it. In my school of martial arts we learn to learn how attackers think and how to try and calm them down. We learn how not to inflame them and how to hopefully diffuse the situation. We learn how to escape from a conflict. Lastly, we learn how to fight if need be. When you know what you are doing in a physical conflict, both you and the other person are safer. You might be able to stop your opponent with less harm to yourself and to him or her. I can bring an opponent to the ground aggressively and then start shouting at them -- the violence may be over. I can put them in a submission move just to show them who is dominant physically, and they may desist without causing any further harm. I may hurt someone just enough for me to getaway, or for someone else to. That is not violence; it is controlling a situation. (hoepefully will never have to do any of those things in real life).

Keviin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Pannapetar wrote:
Virgo wrote:This is getting more into politics. [...] Someone may have many guns but never kill anyone with them because they are only a collector.
Only Americans believe that this has to do with politics. It doesn't. It has to do with math. It can be shown statistically that the number of guns owned by a population correlates with the number of death caused by guns. That's all - just a cold and hard fact.
The cold, hard fact is that firearms and other weapons exist and that people own them and will continue to. The other cold hard fact is that some people will use them for harm, but others will not. We can't just remove all the firearms from the earth and throw them in a snakepit .

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Mukunda wrote: Does ANYONE really not feel at least a little apprehensive when seeing some one toting around a weapon. My guess is anyone who hasn't such sankaras also hasn't any need or use for weapons.

:anjali:
I live in the Catskill mountains. I see people toting weapons all the time. They are not going to point them at me. They want deer, rabbits, etc.

If it were pointed at me, then yes, I would feel apprehensive and more than a little nervous.

Kevin
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

seriously! no one is going to comment on the fact that zen monks shoot bows??? all this talk about guns and bows are evil and against buddhism and no one else has anything to say about this point?

i think it goes to show that when you use something in a non-violent way, the violence is gone.
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

To me, touching a weapon is even more repellent than picking up a fresh and warm dogshit. Let alone using it.

But if some people like that touch, what can be told to them?
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

Dukkhanirodha wrote:To me, touching a weapon is even more repellent than picking up a fresh and warm dogshit. Let alone using it.

yeah but you could easily hurt someone with a throwing dart! is it wrong to touch them??? people that throw darts at a dart board are violent???????? or a baseball bat is frequently used as a weapon, is it ok to play baseball? even the javelin is clearly derived from a spear!!!!!! is it wrong to have it in the olympics??? never tried to throw a boomerang? originally a weapon! cut things with a cooking knife??? originally a weapon!!!!!!!!!!

the machete is an incredibly useful tool for cutting away dead branches from trees. it was originally and still today used as a weapon. should we use a block of wood and just whack at dead branches since weapons should be done away with? oh wait, blocks of wood have been used to kill so... how about we use wet noodles to cut the dead branches because no one has ever killed someone with a wet noodle.

oh wait people kill with THEIR HANDS every day. can they still be used for peaceful things as well??? i'm not so sure. everyone makes a pretty strong point that weapons are weapons only. and if you're thinking "well the gun was originally made to kill." what were people originally made for? our pointy teeth and general instinct makes us predisposed to kill animals for food so we are in the same category and yet shockingly we don't have to use these things to hurt sentient beings!!!!!!!!!!!!

people you have to realize that "weapons" can just be used for non-violent sports and recreation and many other things! you cannot get rid of weapons. they are everywhere and used for allllllll kinds of non-violent things. wake up.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dukkhanirodha wrote:To me, touching a weapon is even more repellent than picking up a fresh and warm dogshit. Let alone using it.

What should be told to them?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

Weapons are weapons, gardening tools are gardening tools. Kitchen utensils are kitchen utensils. Even though all of these things MAY be used for purposes other than their designed intent, that doesn't change the fact that as human beings, with all our cultural conditioning, we know a weapon when we see one. I submit that seeing, using, collecting, or playing with weapons, is NOT in itself violence. But such activities do provide nutriment to subtle mental impressions and conditioning that is counterproductive to the spirit of ahimsa. And I do NOT think that means direct intent to commit harm, but rather is a subtle and more difficult to recognize negative influence on our mental processes. The fact that so many feel the need to defend their practices speaks volumes.

So collect, play with, and glorify weapons if you so desire. I do NOT think you are evil. I doNOT think you are violent. I do NOT think you intend to harm others. I DO think you are harming yourself and creating conflict in your own mind and watering seeds of fear in other peoples minds. But people gotta do what they gotta do 'til they ain't gotta do it anymore.

:anjali: