Happy Vesak!

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
withoutcolour

Happy Vesak!

Post by withoutcolour »

Happy Vesak to you all!
Let us all renew our practice today and remember the life of our great teacher.

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammasambuddhassa.

:buddha1:

-wc
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
Ben

Re: Happy Vesak!

Post by Ben »

Happy Vesak everyone.

Today marks the day of the Buddha's birth, death and enlightenment. It is also the first day of year 2554 BE.
buddha_sarnath-3.jpg
buddha_sarnath-3.jpg (57.56 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
For me this day is additionally auspicious as it is the 25th anniversary of my homecoming to the Dhamma!

Bhavatu Sabba Mangelum!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Dhammagiri Forest Hermitage, Kholo, Queensland will be celebrating Vesak tomorrow Sunday. It is a SIL day, so those wishing to receive precepts from Bhante Dhammasiha, will arrive before 9am. He will talk on the Buddha's birth in the morning, on his enlightenment after the meal, and on his death in the afternoon (3-5pm). The last activity will be a circumambulation at the top of the hill and we'll finish by 5.00 p.m. Not sure if I can get to it all, but I'm looking forward to joining in where I can.

Much merit to you Ben on your 25 year anniversary! :hug:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Chris
Your day tomorrow sounds like fun.
As you know, tomorrow I'm travelling down to Dhamma Pabha for the unveiling of the site's masterplan, a couple of group sits and to meet some far-flung Tasmanian co-practitioners. I'll also get a tour of the Dhamma Centre before the course I am sitting, more likely serving, commences on the 2nd June.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben

Post by Ben »

Vesak photo slideshow from the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB127487676828297037.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

It was a relatively quiet day of eight precept adherence for me on Friday (the day my calendar said was Vesak).

In reality though, other than the not eating after lunchtime and the avoidance of music and entertainments, it was just like any other Friday really - a bit of meditation, a bit of Dhamma study, a bit of online Dhamma discussion.

The only other highlight was my Wii Fit balance board telling me I'd lost 2.0 kg since the previous night's weigh in... good old full moon days.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Had a great day of meditation and dhamma talks at Dhammagiri. Very chilly circumnambulating the Dhammacakka at the high point at sunset. But very moving as we all placed flowers under a Buddharupa in the Parinibbana posture. As we circumnambulated we were chanting the same gatha we used in India in February ....

Formations do not last at all
Their nature is to rise and fall
Arisen, they are bound to cease
Their stilling is the bliss of peace.

(Anicca vata sankhara, uppadavaya-dhammino.
Uppajjitva nirujjhanti, tesam vupasamo sukho.)
with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

I had a very strange, strange Vesak to say the least. But the day ended well with metta practice and walking meditation on the beach with our resident teachers. I hope everyone had a wonderful Vesak! :buddha1:

Homage to the Buddha
Homage to the Dhamma
Homage to the Sangha

Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/