A Manual of the Excellent Man (bodhisatta path)

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Ben
Site Admin

Re: A Manual of the Excellent Man (bodhisatta path)

Postby Ben » Sat May 29, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi Will

Contact is when sense data impinge on sense organ. Its the mind that responds to contact in an elaborate sequence of cittas and mental processes that follow contact.
Rebirth-linking consciousness is a bridging consciousness from the end of one life to the beginning of the next. Basically. I recommend that you get yourself a copy of Bhikkhu Bodhi's 'A Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma' for more information on the internal mental processes including contact and rebirth-linking consciousness.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:24 am

Hi Will:

As Ben said, contact is when a sense object impinges on an internal sense base, leading to consciousness arising. Here is a typical paragraph fom a Sutta:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... tml#phassa
"'The six classes of contact should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises consciousness at the ear. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises consciousness at the nose. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises consciousness at the tongue. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises consciousness at the body. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. The meeting of the three is contact. 'The six classes of contact should be known.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said. This is the fourth sextet.

See also: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Bud ... htm#phassa

Mike

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: A Manual of the Excellent Man

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:09 am

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Will,

Will wrote:First puzzlement - is it a typo on pages 2-3 re: Sila, where it says that it manifests only as verbal purity? It does not mention bodily purity, whereas the first part of the comments does mention bodily purity. The online edition has only "verbal purity" too.

Yes, it's a typo. It should be "moral" not "verbal".

I checked my earlier edition, and there too it says purity of verbal actions. The Pali just seems to say that "it manifests as purity," with no mention of either bodily or verbal actions.

So, I think "it is manifested as moral purity;" would be better. Do you agree?
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Dhammanando

Re: A Manual of the Excellent Man

Postby Dhammanando » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I checked my earlier edition, and there too it says purity of verbal actions. The Pali just seems to say that "it manifests as purity," with no mention of either bodily or verbal actions.

So, I think "it is manifested as moral purity;" would be better. Do you agree?

Yes bhante, that would seem to be in line with the Anguttara Commentary's gloss on soceyya:

“Soceyyan” ti sīlavasena sucibhāvo.

“Purity” means a pure state with respect to moral habit.
    (AA.ii.161)
The Great Sage did thus proclaim
With many a diverse chosen name
Vipassanā stilled and purified,
That to Emergence is allied.

Saṃsāra-cycle’s swamp of pain
Is vast and terrible; a man
Wisely should strive as best he can,
If he would this Emergence gain.
(Visuddhimagga XXI)

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Thank you for the input. I have now updated both the web page and the PDF file.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Return to “Classical Theravāda”