8 Precepts

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Training of Sila, the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).

8 Precepts

Postby GrahamR » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Help please!
If you are trying to keep the 8 precepts at home, what do you sleep on?
I think I may just put the duvet cover on the floor and make a sandwich with it!
With metta :bow:
Graham
Graham
GrahamR

Re: 8 Precepts

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:30 pm

The main point of that precept is to have humility and not sleep on a high and luxurious bed. Any simple bed will do, in my opinion. I notice that the Sri Lankan monks sleep in typical, average twin beds, nothing that low or unusual.

I use a platform bed which sits very low, but is kind of like cheating if I want to do 8 precepts, since the mattress is still comfortable. If you really wanted to be authentic as possible, like the Thai monks do, then a sleeping bag or quilt cover on the floor followed by the blankets will work.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

8 Precepts

Postby GrahamR » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:04 pm

TheDhamma wrote:The main point of that precept is to have humility and not sleep on a high and luxurious bed. Any simple bed will do, in my opinion. I notice that the Sri Lankan monks sleep in typical, average twin beds, nothing that low or unusual.

I use a platform bed which sits very low, but is kind of like cheating if I want to do 8 precepts, since the mattress is still comfortable. If you really wanted to be authentic as possible, like the Thai monks do, then a sleeping bag or quilt cover on the floor followed by the blankets will work.

Thanks
Another question please, what about eating, my wife said in the Thai temple she stayed in they could have anything they didn't chew after lunch, but I've read you shouldn't drink milk or the like and in another source only water or tea.
Any views?
Graham
Graham
GrahamR

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:10 pm

There are a lot of different interpretations in regard to food after the noon hour. But in my opinion, food means food; so no milk, no 'liquefied food' either. The only allowable items to be ingested in my opinion and in my practice are tea, water, and sometimes fruit juice, but fruit juice only if I am really hungry and can't make it.

Some others have interpreted 'whole juice,' milk and others into the acceptable category, but that's not for me.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby GrahamR » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:18 pm

TheDhamma wrote:There are a lot of different interpretations in regard to food after the noon hour. But in my opinion, food means food; so no milk, no 'liquefied food' either. The only allowable items to be ingested in my opinion and in my practice are tea, water, and sometimes fruit juice, but fruit juice only if I am really hungry and can't make it.

Some others have interpreted 'whole juice,' milk and others into the acceptable category, but that's not for me.

Many thanks, I agree and will try this out over the weekend
with metta :bow:
Graham
Graham
GrahamR

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi Graham
where I go on retreat use a fold away bed matress for the retreatants with one pillow, and wither a duvet or own sleeping bag for cover.

food wise I started a post on this a short while ago, food which may answer this part somewhat?
I have heard chocolate is allowed but not milk and I have seen an alternative brownie type recipe for lactose intolorant people at a thai forest monestery website (Aus) but I supose it all depends on how strict you want to be?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Element » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:03 pm

In Thailand, I used to sleep on some cane/grass mats.

In the West, I sleep in the floor on a one inch thick high density foam mattress.

E
Element

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:39 pm

for magha puja i'll be staying at the wat this weekend, taking the 8. at this wat i've seen chocolet, cheese, milk,yogurt, smoothies, ice cream all eaten after noon. in thailand we only ever had this green drink.. i remember my mom telling me once you could buy like coke or pepsi in jugs and add it to water to make soda, i think it was similar. i never liked kool aide or those types of drinks so i didnt much like the green drink either.
we have cots or we sleep on or the floor. in thailand i slept on a hard floor though they said i could have some meditation mats to make a little bed if i wanted.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

8 Precepts

Postby GrahamR » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:24 am

jcsuperstar wrote:for magha puja i'll be staying at the wat this weekend, taking the 8. at this wat i've seen chocolet, cheese, milk,yogurt, smoothies, ice cream all eaten after noon. in thailand we only ever had this green drink.. i remember my mom telling me once you could buy like coke or pepsi in jugs and add it to water to make soda, i think it was similar. i never liked kool aide or those types of drinks so i didnt much like the green drink either.
we have cots or we sleep on or the floor. in thailand i slept on a hard floor though they said i could have some meditation mats to make a little bed if i wanted.

I decided to try doing the 8 precepts this weekend at home because of Magha Puja too. Hopefully it won't snow too much and we can all go to the temple on Sunday.
I've decided just to have tea or water after 12:00 and slept on the floor with my duvet below and under me.
Being a greedy person I thought it would be difficult and I would miss my food, especially as my wife and daughter aren't participating, but it's gone very well so far ....
Thank you everyone for the help and advice.
with metta :bow:
Graham
Graham
GrahamR

Return to Ethical Conduct