"discourses of the buddha series" which one first?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
dhammastudier

Re: "discourses of the buddha series" which one first?

Post by dhammastudier »

http://www.amazon.com/Anguttara-Nikaya- ... 773&sr=8-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

did a little digging and this book, according to reviewers, is the complete anguttara... but it's in pali! amazon says it's in english so i sent them an email asking what the deal is. just wanted to warn anyone who clicked that link and was like "sweet it's only fifteen dollars used..." which is what i was thinking...
Kare

Post by Kare »

zac wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Anguttara-Nikaya- ... 773&sr=8-3

did a little digging and this book, according to reviewers, is the complete anguttara... but it's in pali! amazon says it's in english so i sent them an email asking what the deal is. just wanted to warn anyone who clicked that link and was like "sweet it's only fifteen dollars used..." which is what i was thinking...
This is great news! :thumbsup: The four first Nikayas are published in inexpensive one-volume editions in Pali! I immediately ordered them.

If you buy these four volumes, you will only need Warder, "Introduction to Pali" and the PTS Pali-English Dictionary. Then you can read the real texts for yourself, and quit the endless search for "the best translation".

Or rather, revererse this suggested order and buy only Warder. Work with this one for about a year and enjoy learning Pali. Then, buy the Dictionary and the Digha Nikaya in Pali. Why the Digha? Warder uses texts from the Digha in his tutor, so after finishing Warder you will find that the Digha is familiar ground.

:anjali:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Agent

Post by Agent »

An electronic version of the entire Tipiṭaka in Pāḷi is also available:
http://www.tipitaka.org/
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā.
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

Kare wrote:

This is great news! :thumbsup: The four first Nikayas are published in inexpensive one-volume editions in Pali! I immediately ordered them.

If you buy these four volumes, you will only need Warder, "Introduction to Pali" and the PTS Pali-English Dictionary. Then you can read the real texts for yourself, and quit the endless search for "the best translation".

Or rather, revererse this suggested order and buy only Warder. Work with this one for about a year and enjoy learning Pali. Then, buy the Dictionary and the Digha Nikaya in Pali. Why the Digha? Warder uses texts from the Digha in his tutor, so after finishing Warder you will find that the Digha is familiar ground.

wow! you have got DRIVE my friend!!! i admire your energy! i wouldn't even consider learning to read another language just to read a book... although for these books, if they were never translated into english i might! after i retire in forty some odd years i probably will learn to read the suttas in the traditional pali though :) or if i win the lottery and have more spare time;) however i never buy tickets so... it would have to be a my name is earl situation where one gets blown to me on the wind.
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Kare wrote: If you buy these four volumes, you will only need Warder, "Introduction to Pali" and the PTS Pali-English Dictionary. Then you can read the real texts for yourself, and quit the endless search for "the best translation".
How realistic of a suggestion is this? Is that book comprehensive enough to allow you understand the pali of the nikayas? I've heard it's not so bad, but hell if I know.

If it -really- is, then that's a good idea. I'm familiar with elementary Sanskrit and getting into Pali, and if that's possible..... I might just do it.
Kare

Post by Kare »

Kenshou wrote:
Kare wrote: If you buy these four volumes, you will only need Warder, "Introduction to Pali" and the PTS Pali-English Dictionary. Then you can read the real texts for yourself, and quit the endless search for "the best translation".
How realistic of a suggestion is this? Is that book comprehensive enough to allow you understand the pali of the nikayas? I've heard it's not so bad, but hell if I know.

If it -really- is, then that's a good idea. I'm familiar with elementary Sanskrit and getting into Pali, and if that's possible..... I might just do it.
In my view it is very realistic, since Warder was my entry into the Nikayas. Apart from some easy practice-sentences in the first lessons, Warder quickly makes the student read extracts from the Digha Nikaya - short ones at first, but then progressively longer and longer. When you have worked you way through Warder, you will be quite familiar with the Nikaya language.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Post by Kare »

zac wrote:
Kare wrote:

wow! you have got DRIVE my friend!!! i admire your energy!
Thank you - but you are mistaken. There is nothing to admire. My studies of Pali have never been "work" ... only sheer pleasure!
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Hm, having a hard time finding a source for Warder's Intro to Pali, I've seen this: http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Pali ... 0860131971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , however the fact that the price ranges from $180 new to 16 used makes me somewhat confused and unsure.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kare wrote:
Kenshou wrote:

In my view it is very realistic, since Warder was my entry into the Nikayas. Apart from some easy practice-sentences in the first lessons, Warder quickly makes the student read extracts from the Digha Nikaya - short ones at first, but then progressively longer and longer. When you have worked you way through Warder, you will be quite familiar with the Nikaya language.
Warder's book would be a superb choice. Add to that
A Pali Grammar for Students by Steven Collins as a reference book.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kenshou wrote:Hm, having a hard time finding a source for Warder's Intro to Pali, I've seen this: http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Pali ... 0860131971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , however the fact that the price ranges from $180 new to 16 used makes me somewhat confused and unsure.
Try here:

http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/show ... ullCat=173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Towards the bottom of the page.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

I did two to three semesters at the Univ. of Queensland studying Pali from Warders' book under Dr. Primoz Pecenko (before his heart-breaking and untimely death). I don't share Kare's belief that it is easy ~ unless one is committed and has the time. Just like any Uni subject. If one is committed and has the time, I'd recommend studying it under a teacher.

The first semester, we studied The New Pali Course (Parts 1 and 2) by Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera - which I found excellent, really helpful and worth studying.
Available online at the Pali Collective:
http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali1.00b.cdv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

A Pali Reader and Pali Glossary by Dines Andersen is an excellent resource book for its extensive glossary, which covers the Pali texts in the first part which make for excellent practice for translation. It can be gotten cheaply either new or used. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... y&x=70&y=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (It sometimes comes in two volumes)

A good reference/resource is: Pali Buddhist Texts : Explained to the Beginner by Rune E. A. Johansson

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... r&x=50&y=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote:
The first semester, we studied The New Pali Course (Parts 1 and 2) by Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera - which I found excellent, really helpful and worth studying.
http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali1.00b.cdv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Warder's in my opinion, which I do not cherish, is a better choice, particularly if one has done some Sanskrit. Starting from sctratch Lily de Sikva's Pali Primer would be good, then moving on to Warder, but, it does not hurt to have more than one text from which to work.

This book I have no idea as to whether it is good or not, but at that price, it probably is worth a shot:

http://www.amazon.com/Pali-Language-com ... gy_b_img_c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Ohoho, thanks for the link. I can throw a few dollars at that.
Kare

Post by Kare »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

I did two to three semesters at the Univ. of Queensland studying Pali from Warders' book under Dr. Primoz Pecenko (before his heart-breaking and untimely death). I don't share Kare's belief that it is easy ~ unless one is committed and has the time. Just like any Uni subject. If one is committed and has the time, I'd recommend studying it under a teacher.

with metta
Chris
As Tilt said, it does not hurt to use more than one text. I used Warder as my main book (self-study), but I also used Johansson, Buddhadatta and whatever else I managed to come across. They are all useful. But - in my opinion - Warder is the only one who gives intelligent and comprehensive explanations, so that you really understand what is going on ...

But people and preferences differ. I only speak from my own experience. Other books may work better for other people.
Mettāya,
Kåre