A small disaster

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

A small disaster

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi all

I carry around with me Sony's first hard-drive walkman, the NW-HD1. Its a stylish little fellow which contains a selection of music tracks, but most importantly, my collection of sutta chants and 'group-sit' audio files that I have been using for nearly five years when I meditate. I just pop on the active noise reduction headphones, select a chant or group-sit track and I can meditate almost anywhere. So, on my return to my new home from Melbourne the other day, I stuffed my system into my faux-leather satchel and didn't think twice until after I got off the plane at Launceston. Usually when I fly alone I go into 'imitation sleep' mode and wile away my time quietly observing the evanescing flora of moment-to-moment experience to the deep resonances of my teacher chanting the Atanatiya, the Satipatthana or a number of other suttas or parittas while the active-noise reduction headphones cancel out a lot of the ambient background noise. This time, for some reason, I decided to read instead. I was near completion of one Dhamma Book and was keen to start another I bought at the Theosophical Society Bookshop in Melbourne.
I did not think twice about what the magnets lurking in the corners of my satchel (magnetic clasp) might do to my harddrive. When I got home, I retrieved my player and noticed some bizarre messages on its screen, including 'no database found'. Oh dear!
Fortunately, the sutta chants, group sit and discourse files were not deleted frm my computer when I did some spring cleaning about a year ago. All that is required is to upload the player with the stored files and I'm back in business and to keep my player away from my bag!
Metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: A small disaster

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:46 pm

well it could of been worse!
not the same or worse but I once had to completely reboot my laptop, and lost all my talks music, etc, never thought of saving them on disc (although the music was from disc) so spent about 12 hours finding and downloading the talks again, and putting the music back on! pain but worth the trouble and yet not learnt my lesson yet! still no back up and happened twice?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Will » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:09 pm

Not being a techie, more like a neo-luddite, I could never figure out how to backup my files. So I found Mozy, which does it automatically. I have not had to really test it, because no hard drive failures, but it is an option many like.

http://mozy.com/
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:13 pm

Will wrote:Not being a techie, more like a neo-luddite, I could never figure out how to backup my files. So I found Mozy, which does it automatically. I have not had to really test it, because no hard drive failures, but it is an option many like.

http://mozy.com/

thanks will!

and before I forget, Welcome back Ben
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby genkaku » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:40 pm

Ben -- I know squat about things-technical, but if you escaped the Aussie fires I've been reading about, I figure you're ahead of the curve. :)
genkaku

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks Manapa! I'm still to upload some photos of our new home.
Thanks Will. I'm looking at replacing my desktop with a laptop in the near future so I will definitely keep mozy in mind. My son has a 300Gb external hard-drive so I really should take advantage of that and store my most precious files.

Thanks Adam. I was reading about the bushfires this morning. Its very sad. Twelve deaths so far with a further 40 people missing. To my knowledge there were no fires in the Creswick State Forest, which backs onto our old home. Nonetheless, having packed and moved in 40+ heat, I know its an experience that most sane people can do without.
Cheers

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Individual » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:14 am

Ben wrote:Hi all

I carry around with me Sony's first hard-drive walkman, the NW-HD1. Its a stylish little fellow which contains a selection of music tracks, but most importantly, my collection of sutta chants and 'group-sit' audio files that I have been using for nearly five years when I meditate. I just pop on the active noise reduction headphones, select a chant or group-sit track and I can meditate almost anywhere. So, on my return to my new home from Melbourne the other day, I stuffed my system into my faux-leather satchel and didn't think twice until after I got off the plane at Launceston. Usually when I fly alone I go into 'imitation sleep' mode and wile away my time quietly observing the evanescing flora of moment-to-moment experience to the deep resonances of my teacher chanting the Atanatiya, the Satipatthana or a number of other suttas or parittas while the active-noise reduction headphones cancel out a lot of the ambient background noise. This time, for some reason, I decided to read instead. I was near completion of one Dhamma Book and was keen to start another I bought at the Theosophical Society Bookshop in Melbourne.
I did not think twice about what the magnets lurking in the corners of my satchel (magnetic clasp) might do to my harddrive. When I got home, I retrieved my player and noticed some bizarre messages on its screen, including 'no database found'. Oh dear!
Fortunately, the sutta chants, group sit and discourse files were not deleted frm my computer when I did some spring cleaning about a year ago. All that is required is to upload the player with the stored files and I'm back in business and to keep my player away from my bag!
Metta

Ben

I am like a "hoarder" when it comes to data, at least I used to be. I had 10 years' worth of data, various archives, on my computer... lots of valuable stuff.. But I didn't back it up anywhere and my computer failed, and one day, it was all gone.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Return to Lounge