where can i get the abhidhamma?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
dhammastudier

where can i get the abhidhamma?

Post by dhammastudier »

anybody know? what are you reading? all seven volumes or an overview? is there a set sold all together or just randomly sold volumes by different translators/publishers? i'm reading "a comprehensive manual of abhidhamma" by bhikku bodhi.
bodom

Re: where can i get the abhidhamma?

Post by bodom »

zac wrote:anybody know? what are you reading? all seven volumes or an overview? is there a set sold all together or just randomly sold volumes by different translators/publishers? i'm reading "a comprehensive manual of abhidhamma" by bhikku bodhi.
CMA contains all I need to know about the Abhidhamma.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

bodom wrote:
zac wrote:anybody know? what are you reading? all seven volumes or an overview? is there a set sold all together or just randomly sold volumes by different translators/publishers? i'm reading "a comprehensive manual of abhidhamma" by bhikku bodhi.
CMA contains all I need to know about the Abhidhamma.
It is an interpretation of the Abhidhamma; not quite the same as the original Tipitaka texts, but it may be all you need to know.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Kare

Post by Kare »

The canonical abhidhamma books are rather difficult to read. The CMA should give you a good idea of the abhidhamma. You might also like to read Nyanaponika, "Abhidhamma Studies", http://www.amazon.com/Abhidhamma-Studie ... 014&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fryba, "The Art of Happiness" is also a good introduction to abhidhamma. http://www.amazon.com/Art-Happiness-Tea ... 014&sr=8-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mettāya,
Kåre
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

thanx guys!
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello zac,

Have a look here:

Homepage of Pali Text Society
If you click on Bestsellers in the left-side column, you will find English Translations of some Abhidhamma texts and other classics

http://www.palitext.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

cooran wrote:
Hello zac,

Have a look here:

Homepage of Pali Text Society
If you click on Bestsellers in the left-side column, you will find English Translations of some Abhidhamma texts and other classics

http://www.palitext.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
thanx! i'll look into that.