where can i get the abhidhamma?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

dhammastudier

where can i get the abhidhamma?

Postby dhammastudier » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:54 pm

anybody know? what are you reading? all seven volumes or an overview? is there a set sold all together or just randomly sold volumes by different translators/publishers? i'm reading "a comprehensive manual of abhidhamma" by bhikku bodhi.

bodom

Re: where can i get the abhidhamma?

Postby bodom » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:33 pm

zac wrote:anybody know? what are you reading? all seven volumes or an overview? is there a set sold all together or just randomly sold volumes by different translators/publishers? i'm reading "a comprehensive manual of abhidhamma" by bhikku bodhi.

CMA contains all I need to know about the Abhidhamma.

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:00 pm

bodom wrote:
zac wrote:anybody know? what are you reading? all seven volumes or an overview? is there a set sold all together or just randomly sold volumes by different translators/publishers? i'm reading "a comprehensive manual of abhidhamma" by bhikku bodhi.

CMA contains all I need to know about the Abhidhamma.
It is an interpretation of the Abhidhamma; not quite the same as the original Tipitaka texts, but it may be all you need to know.
    >> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<<
    -- Proverbs 26:12

Kare

Postby Kare » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:00 pm

The canonical abhidhamma books are rather difficult to read. The CMA should give you a good idea of the abhidhamma. You might also like to read Nyanaponika, "Abhidhamma Studies", http://www.amazon.com/Abhidhamma-Studie ... 014&sr=8-1

Fryba, "The Art of Happiness" is also a good introduction to abhidhamma. http://www.amazon.com/Art-Happiness-Tea ... 014&sr=8-7
Mettāya,
Kåre

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:06 pm

thanx guys!

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:53 pm

Hello zac,

Have a look here:

Homepage of Pali Text Society
If you click on Bestsellers in the left-side column, you will find English Translations of some Abhidhamma texts and other classics

http://www.palitext.com/

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 pm

cooran wrote:

Hello zac,

Have a look here:

Homepage of Pali Text Society
If you click on Bestsellers in the left-side column, you will find English Translations of some Abhidhamma texts and other classics

http://www.palitext.com/

with metta
Chris

thanx! i'll look into that.

Return to “Abhidhamma”