Dhamma and addiction

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
adosa

Re: Dhamma and addiction

Post by adosa »

Samsara wrote:
Ive looked up Goenka retreats and couldn't find a website, just alot of stories of how awful it was....so i worry.
Im sure if i stay a few times at Cittaviveka a few times they will let me stay for a week or something. Its all on hold anyway to a certain extent because of my final exams and dissertation i have to hand in in less than a month *stress*

Here you go.

http://www.dhamma.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adosa :smile:
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

G. Alan Marlatt is the developer of Mindfulness Based Relapse Prevention, developed specifically for the treatment of addictions. He coined the term "urge surfing" (i.e. watching arising & passing) of the addictive cravings as they occur in the body. Marlatt is not just a clinician but a long-term meditator and has taken refuge in the Dharma. He's studied with Jack Kornfeld, Pema Chodron, and S.N. Goenka.

Here's an interview he did with Inquiring Mind:
http://www.inquiringmind.com/Articles/S ... eUrge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an abstract of his article "Buddhist philosophy and the treatment of addictive behavior" (Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, Vol 9(1), Win, 2002. pp. 44-49.):

"Provides an overview of how Buddhist philosophy can be applied in the treatment of individuals with substance abuse problems (alcohol, smoking, and illicit drug use) and other addictive behaviors (e.g., compulsive eating and gambling). First, the author describes the background of his own interest in meditation and Buddhist psychology, followed by a brief summary of his prior research on the effects of meditation on alcohol consumption in heavy drinkers. In the 2nd section, the author outlines some of the basic principles of Buddhist philosophy that provide a theoretical underpinning for defining addiction, how it develops, and how it can be alleviated. The 3rd and final section presents 4 principles within Buddhist psychology that have direct implications for the cognitive-behavioral treatment of addictive behavior: mindfulness meditation, the Middle Way philosophy, the Doctrine of Impermanence, and compassion and the Eightfold Noble Path. Clinical interventions and case examples are described for each of these 4 principles based on the author's research and clinical practice with clients seeking help for resolving addictive behavior problems."
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Oh thats great thank you!

A week until giving up day....pretty terrified!
"Nothing is more important than guarding the mind. Let us constantly keep watch over it, curbing it with mindfulness and vigilance."-Dalai Lama

Please feel free to correct my grammar!
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Much Metta to you, Samsara! May you alleviate your suffering through Dhamma and find great peace! :console:

This Dhamma is a way of fearlessness. So don't be afraid!! We, and more importantly, the sublime Dhamma, are with you! :group:

:anjali:
Dhammabodhi
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Thanks people y'all rock.

I may come here in the next few weeks and rant and beg for logic :roll:
"Nothing is more important than guarding the mind. Let us constantly keep watch over it, curbing it with mindfulness and vigilance."-Dalai Lama

Please feel free to correct my grammar!
ben1980

Post by ben1980 »

Hi Samsara. I'm an addict. The 12 step programs led me to Buddhism, specifically step 11. I don't know if you have even been through those types of programs, but everyday in NA meetings I heard "Just for today." It made no sense to me until I put step 11 and Buddhism together. I was clean 2 years and decided to study Buddhism. Now I'm clean 2 years 3 months and 2 days of any mind altering substance. I gave up my fellowship with NA and have found a greater bond with my own Buddha nature. In my own experience and opinion, any mind altering substance takes me farther away from and makes it more difficult to return to my Buddha nature. I wish for you the best.

:namaste:

Ben
"Live without covetous greed. Fill your mind with benevolence. Be mindful and one-pointed, inwardly stable and concentrated." Anguttara Nikaya II, 29
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Here's a 5-part lecture series on Buddhism and the 12 Steps:

http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/67/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodom

Post by bodom »

ben1980 wrote:I gave up my fellowship with NA and have found a greater bond with my own Buddha nature.
Hi Ben

Curious as to why you left NA? To stop going to meetings is the first step to relapse. This can be extremely dangerous for addicts. Remember you are NEVER cured from the disease of addiction! It can only be managed through abstinence and group support. NA or AA is not to be used as a raft the way the Buddha's teachings are. I hope you reconsider the fellowship and I wish you all the best.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
ben1980

Post by ben1980 »

bodom wrote:
ben1980 wrote:I gave up my fellowship with NA and have found a greater bond with my own Buddha nature.
Hi Ben

Curious as to why you left NA? To stop going to meetings is the first step to relapse. This can be extremely dangerous for addicts. Remember you are NEVER cured from the disease of addiction! It can only be managed through abstinence and group support. NA or AA is not to be used as a raft the way the Buddha's teachings are. I hope you reconsider the fellowship and I wish you all the best.

You are right. Those words were chosen poorly. I was not endorsing leaving NA or AA. It may be my local chapter, but I never felt comfortable in meetings. I won't go into detail here. Thanks for your concern.
"Live without covetous greed. Fill your mind with benevolence. Be mindful and one-pointed, inwardly stable and concentrated." Anguttara Nikaya II, 29
TimM

Post by TimM »

In addition to the talks linked above, there are some lectures I liked from Spirit Rock,

http://dharmaseed.org/talks/?q=recovery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least one of these has what I thought was some very nice material on how a Buddhist might deal with the theistic language of the Steps and the Big Book and the program in general.

Tim M.
Guy

Post by Guy »

bodom wrote:Remember you are NEVER cured from the disease of addiction! It can only be managed through abstinence and group support.
Maybe what you say is true for many people, but it doesn't apply to everyone. I used to be addicted to a harmful substance and I got clean by my own effort, never went to a group or anything. My interest in and practice of Buddhism surely helped me on the path to sobriety though. Now I am addicted to Dhamma.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
atulo

Post by atulo »

Ven. Nanavira about addiction:
http://nanavira.xtreemhost.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guy

Post by Guy »

atulo wrote:Ven. Nanavira about addiction:
http://nanavira.xtreemhost.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Excellent article! Thanks for sharing it!
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm