Please remember

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Please remember

Post by Ben »

Dear all

Thirty-five people have lost their lives in bushfires since yesterday in Victoria, Australia.
Some of the fires were deliberately lit.
Homes have been destroyed. Marysville is gone.

Please remember them.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Please remember

Post by DNS »

The heat over there has been going for too long, making the conditions right for the fires.

Be well and safe, all Aussies! :buddha1: :group:
Individual

Post by Individual »

If conditions like fire can be so extreme like that, burning over such a great distance so quickly, can't they fireproof their homes and can't individual people build fireproof shelters? For instance, if a house is built out of stone, brick, or with plastic or metal siding, and the interior of the home is built with fireproof drywall, it should be relatively safe.

It's so extraordinary to me to think of how death can come so quickly, at any time... One day, you're there, and then you're surrounded by a wall of fire. It's like those rare cases of planes crashing into people's homes.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Individual,

Some entire townships have been destroyed. It sounds like most who died (official toll up to 65 people and growing... 700+ homes) are those who stayed to defend their properties. People in the countryside generally have Fire Plans in place beforehand... I suspect after the ferocity of this fire, people might be a little more conservative with their plans. Even those who take "every precaution" have had their houses ravaged.

Even now we've got someone at our house whose father is a firefighter and she was in and around the areas at the time. A lot of people affected.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

The number of people burned to death has now risen to 76 and is expected to go much higher - predicted to be 100 by morning ~ it's 8.30 p.m. Sunday night now.
Australia's Worst Bush Fire Disaster
http://www.abc.net.au/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

karuna,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Oh my. This is terrible. I hope this is near none of your homes. What a tragedy.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

May there be peace in
sorrowing places.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Individual wrote:If conditions like fire can be so extreme like that, burning over such a great distance so quickly, can't they fireproof their homes and can't individual people build fireproof shelters? For instance, if a house is built out of stone, brick, or with plastic or metal siding, and the interior of the home is built with fireproof drywall, it should be relatively safe.

It's so extraordinary to me to think of how death can come so quickly, at any time... One day, you're there, and then you're surrounded by a wall of fire. It's like those rare cases of planes crashing into people's homes.
Hi Individual

As you can appreciate, its a bit more complicated. A lot of people who live in rural areas are on low income, maybe living in rental accommodation or do everything they should and could, and still get burned out or die as a result. Many buildings get destroyd before the fire-front hits by ember attack.

What I saw on the news tonight was that for some people there seemed to be very little warning. One woman said that she just happened to be near the front door when someone called to her to get out of the house, whereupon she discovered to her horror that it was actually on fire. As retro said, a lot of people died trying to defend their homes. And some of those people would have died in a state of panic and confusion in those last few minutes as the fire-front struck.

Up until last week, I was living in a prime bushfire area in rural victoria. We lived in a beautiful house that backed onto pine plantation that adjoined a large native forest in central victoria. I had a fire-fighting pump and had 7,500 litres of water in a tank. However, I knew that if a megafire came over the ridge, our western-red cedar would light up like a match. The intensity of the heat and the speed at which a fire-front moves even takes veterans for a surprise. For a number of reasons I am glad that I no longer own the property and have that six-month long anxiety about bushfires, but I am still deeply shocked and saddened by what has happened.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Oh, my.

:(

This is borderline murder to me.... :cookoo:

Best wishes to all who suffer.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Individual wrote:If conditions like fire can be so extreme like that, burning over such a great distance so quickly, can't they fireproof their homes and can't individual people build fireproof shelters? For instance, if a house is built out of stone, brick, or with plastic or metal siding, and the interior of the home is built with fireproof drywall, it should be relatively safe.

It's interesting that you mention stone and brick houses, with steel constructions, because that is basically all we have here.

We once had a severe storm here which took our tiles off and a part of our roof, but the house itself didn''t even tremble with it's thick brickwalls.

The trees in our garden had fallen over.

The walls would probably resist a fire, but not the roof.

And then Australia is so much hotter.

Just some thoughts..-.
bodom

Post by bodom »

May they all be well, happy and peaceful!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Tex

Post by Tex »

So sad. Best wishes to our friends down under.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Individual, all,
Individual said: If conditions like fire can be so extreme like that, burning over such a great distance so quickly, can't they fireproof their homes and can't individual people build fireproof shelters? For instance, if a house is built out of stone, brick, or with plastic or metal siding, and the interior of the home is built with fireproof drywall, it should be relatively safe.
I don't think you understand bushfires, the intensity of the heat, the speed they move at and the size of the fire itself. It is the heat and lack of oxygen which kills.

We are not talking about a couple of paddocks on fire.

The Kinglake complex of fires is 80 kilometres wide and 220,000 hectares in size.

Aluminium melts at 650C ... many window screens melt, the glass is shattered and embers get in and destroy the inside of the house in minutes.

If the fire itself doesn't burn people to death, the heat kills them.

If you don't get out early and abandon your home - you cannot outdrive or outrun a bushfire.

Embers fall 100 metres ahead of a burning grass fire, 2.5 km ahead of a burning pine trees, 8 km ahead of a burning eucalypt forest, 35 km when there is a convection column.

The Fire Protection Authority was telling people that if they could smell smoke on the wind, t was too late to run, and to try to protect themselves where they were, as best they could.

Sitting in a swimming pool isn't much help in the big fires - you die of smoke inhalation or you are boiled alive.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
zavk

Post by zavk »

Chris wrote:
I don't think you understand bushfires, the intensity of the heat, the speed they move at and the size of the fire itself. It is the heat and lack of oxygen which kills.

We are not talking about a couple of paddocks on fire.

The Kinglake complex of fires is 80 kilometres wide and 220,000 hectares in size.

Aluminium melts at 650C ... many window screens melt, the glass is shattered and embers get in and destroy the inside of the house in minutes.

If the fire itself doesn't burn people to death, the heat kills them.

If you don't get out early and abandon your home - you cannot outdrive or outrun a bushfire.

Embers fall 100 metres ahead of a burning grass fire, 2.5 km ahead of a burning pine trees, 8 km ahead of a burning eucalypt forest, 35 km when there is a convection column.

The Fire Protection Authority was telling people that if they could smell smoke on the wind, t was too late to run, and to try to protect themselves where they were, as best they could.

Sitting in a swimming pool isn't much help in the big fires - you die of smoke inhalation or you are boiled alive.

metta
Chris
:weep:

The TV images do not--cannot--convey the severity of the situation.

Yet... every year there would be arsonists who deliberately start fires. Sigh......

:group:
With metta,
zavk