Mental Pain and Aversion in Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Cal

Mental Pain and Aversion in Meditation

Post by Cal »

Not exactly a very cheerful topic for my first proper posting, sorry.

I've very rarely had very joyful (vipassana) meditation sessions, they are generally quite hard work. However, recently (3-4 weeks) I am really struggling. My concentration is very poor, and I'm finding it almost impossible to stay with the breath for more than a very few seconds. My tension levels are currently quite high, such that it is almost physically painful, and especially so in meditation. I regularly find myself almost gritting my teeth to get to the end of even a 20 minute sit, and regularly find myself 'bursting' out of meditation with a jolt, and then giving up.

I do have some challenging family issues currently.

Any thoughts or ideas on making meditation more of a pleasure rather than a painful chore, would be much appreciated. I usually find that a longish Metta meditation period before vipassana helps, but even this is painful currently.

Metta

Cal
Right Speech: It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will. [AN 5.198]

Personally, I seem to gain the most insight when I am under the most pressure, when life is at its most unpleasant. There is something in me on those occasions which feels that there is nothing left but to be aware of 'this'. Ajahn Sumedho - Don't Take Your Life Personally, p288
Sekha

Re: Mental Pain and Aversion in Meditation

Post by Sekha »

Hi Cal,

I think I can understand your current difficulties. I have passed through a similar period during which my meditation was pretty much like what you describe. It has been lasting so far for two years, with a constant reducing of the perturbation. In my case, it is due to having taken a too high dose of an hallucinogenic drug about 4 years ago.

From all that I have learnt from this experience, I would say: don't give up. Try not to think about the difficulty of your practice, either during or outside of your meditation time (which means also not talking too much about it just like we are doing now). Because it would drive you off track thinking 'this is too much'. Just sit and accept the reality that has arisen. It is difficult, it is difficult, you know it, but the only right thing you can do is focusing as best as possible on your object. Abandoning the training is not a viable option.

This difficult period has arisen, it will pass away, sooner or later, this is the law of nature. You don't need to wish anything about it, it will happen in due time. Just perform your task, and leave the result to the law of nature. Practicing Dhammma can require performing heroic deeds.

As Goenkaji chants during his ten-day course:
Good to have mastery of speech,
Good to have physical mastery,
But one who is master of his mind
Is a warrior of real courage.
I wish you all the best of strong resolve and energy to get through this. :console:

_/\_
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello cal,

I'd set aside the Vipassana for a while - now is possily the time to just do practice radiating Metta to yourself and others.
But concentrating on yourself first for some considerable time.
Here is a link to Ajahn Sujato's talks on Metta practice:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 810#p40062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

You should probably focus on samatha for a month or two. A calm, relaxed steadying of yourself in one place... this alone would teach you important skills for use when you return to vipassana, but the immediate payoff would be relaxation and pleasure.

Recall the seven factors of enlightenment:
mindfulness
investigation,
rapture,
tranquility,
concentraion,
equanimity.

The middle two are undervalued in our practice nowadays.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

try walking meditation, try chanting first, actually there are many ways that different people get their minds to "behave" there is no one right answer, you just have to find what is right for your temperament. when i went through a divorce years ago i found walking meditation worked great, who knew? also breath counting does a great job of giving the mind something to do that is still within the realm of meditation, its a good trick to turn to also if you get too fidgety near the end of a meditation session, so maybe instead of just quiting early you switch to breath counting (i do 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10, 10-1 and if i miss any i start all the way over, this is from the commentaries so we're talking about a practice 1000s of years old here!), try doing a body scan type of meditation... just look around at all the different methods they are around for a reason and you can have a lot of fun learning new skills to keep that monkey mind from jumping around!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Cal

Post by Cal »

Many thanks to all responders for the very thoughtful and helpful advice. All very helpful and useful suggestions, thank you for taking the time to respond. :namaste:

I have spent more time solely in Metta meditation today, and listening to the Ajahn Sujato talk. This felt less painful.

On the suggestion of samatha practice. Are there any particularly good sources on this, from a Theravada perspective?

Cal
Right Speech: It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will. [AN 5.198]

Personally, I seem to gain the most insight when I am under the most pressure, when life is at its most unpleasant. There is something in me on those occasions which feels that there is nothing left but to be aware of 'this'. Ajahn Sumedho - Don't Take Your Life Personally, p288
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello cal, all,

Hope these are of interest:

Mindfulness of Breathing - see left side column
http://www.wildmind.org/mindfulness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lovingkindness meditation - see left side column
http://www.wildmind.org/metta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read numerous articles on Theravada Meditation under 3
http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebidx.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Cal

Post by Cal »

Many thanks, Chris.

Cal

Srotapanna

Post by Srotapanna »

Cal wrote:Many thanks to all responders for the very thoughtful and helpful advice. All very helpful and useful suggestions, thank you for taking the time to respond. :namaste:

I have spent more time solely in Metta meditation today, and listening to the Ajahn Sujato talk. This felt less painful.

On the suggestion of samatha practice. Are there any particularly good sources on this, from a Theravada perspective?

Cal
Hope you are feeling better Cal.

Resource on Samatha:
http://www.chanmyay.org/anapanasati.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cal

Post by Cal »

Thank you Srotapanna. I'm feeling a little less despairing, a little more concentrated in meditation. For the last couple of days, I've dropped all but metta meditation, in which I am at least able to concentrate for more than a few moments at once. I intend to stick with this approach for a few weeks now, to see if I can regain some focus and pleasure in my meditation.

Many thanks for the link - a very clear explanation of samatha vs vipassana, and some useful suggestions. Much appreciated. :namaste:

Cal

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Cal wrote:Not exactly a very cheerful topic for my first proper posting, sorry.

I've very rarely had very joyful (vipassana) meditation sessions, they are generally quite hard work. However, recently (3-4 weeks) I am really struggling. My concentration is very poor, and I'm finding it almost impossible to stay with the breath for more than a very few seconds. My tension levels are currently quite high, such that it is almost physically painful, and especially so in meditation. I regularly find myself almost gritting my teeth to get to the end of even a 20 minute sit, and regularly find myself 'bursting' out of meditation with a jolt, and then giving up.

I do have some challenging family issues currently.

Any thoughts or ideas on making meditation more of a pleasure rather than a painful chore, would be much appreciated. I usually find that a longish Metta meditation period before vipassana helps, but even this is painful currently.

Metta

Cal
Do you have a hands-on teacher Cal ?
Cal

Post by Cal »

Do you have a hands-on teacher Cal ?
No, I don't unfortunately. There is a Forest Sangha monastery about 30 miles away. But, though I've visited, I haven't actually found a teacher as such. I'm sure actually finding a teacher would help, just don't know how, really.

Metta

Cal

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Its not like a guru /pupil relationship, if you go along to Hemel Hempstead one of the Sangha will be glad to talk to you.
As a matter of fact one of the regulars from this forum is staying there for a while at the moment.
Cal

Post by Cal »

PeterB - I see. Thanks for the advice.

:namaste:

Cal

Srotapanna

Post by Srotapanna »

Cal wrote:Thank you Srotapanna. I'm feeling a little less despairing, a little more concentrated in meditation. For the last couple of days, I've dropped all but metta meditation, in which I am at least able to concentrate for more than a few moments at once. I intend to stick with this approach for a few weeks now, to see if I can regain some focus and pleasure in my meditation.

Many thanks for the link - a very clear explanation of samatha vs vipassana, and some useful suggestions. Much appreciated. :namaste:

Cal
Youre welcome Cal. Lots to read! :reading: Glad to hear youre better.