Monks and Nuns cohabitating

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sheranne

Monks and Nuns cohabitating

Post by Sheranne »

Hello
Do Theravada nuns and monks commonly live together in the same monastery? Are Theravada monasteries normally co-ed? I was under the impression that monasteries were separated by sex--is this not true? It seems unusual for a forest tradition senior monk to have a nun as his sole companion and assistant. Is this okay and ordinary? Thanks, Sher
jcsuperstar

Re: Monks and Nuns cohabitating

Post by jcsuperstar »

you are correct monks and nuns don't share the same quarters, a monk is never supposed to be alone with a female unless, i believe, it is his mother
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
alan

Post by alan »

Hi Sher.
It is usual in the forest tradition for the lead Monk to have at least two or maybe even a dozen female companions. There are many Suttas which refer to the necessity of examining and understanding the limits of sensuality. It is the job of Ajhaan's to go to extremes in order to understand the nature of these Dhammas, and then realize the meaning of such cohabitation.
Hope this helps.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

alan wrote:Hi Sher.
It is usual in the forest tradition for the lead Monk to have at least two or maybe even a dozen female companions. There are many Suttas which refer to the necessity of examining and understanding the limits of sensuality. It is the job of Ajhaan's to go to extremes in order to understand the nature of these Dhammas, and then realize the meaning of such cohabitation.
Hope this helps.
what forest tradition? did ajahn chah hang out alone with women? ajaan mun? ajahn tate? ajahn lee? how about modern ajaans like thanissaro?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
alan

Post by alan »

Most of those monks had several babes. They were trying to understand the ultimate limits of sensuality. What better way to go beyond that than to get it on with a bunch of honeys?
That's why I always recommend a monastery with some cute girls. Otherwise it is so boring! :tongue:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Such silliness.

:roll:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
alan

Post by alan »

Just trying to lighten the mood!
:jumping:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Alan,

Sure, but misinformation posing as information doesn't help answer serious questions, does it?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
alan

Post by alan »

Hi Retro
I'm sorry but I did not think the question was well thought out. Thought it was silly, actually. So I gave a silly response.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The "problem" with the question is that Sher is obviously referring to a particular individual (who would be obvious to many here), but is trying to frame the question in a general hypothetical way. The problem with that is that it casts aspersions on that individual which may well be unfair. And this impossible to discuss without being specific.

Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

well there seems to be two things that could be going on if you're right
1. a certain person is "being called out" and the op wants us to take a stand
2. there are legitimate questions about the actions of a certain person and the op wants confirmation about suspicions they may be having about what is right for monastics.

as long as we answer the question as if #2 is the intention i don't think we can go wrong.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

alan wrote:Hi Retro
I'm sorry but I did not think the question was well thought out. Thought it was silly, actually. So I gave a silly response.
We have a saying. There are no silly questions, only silly replies.

Questions are the only way to dissolve ignorance.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello
Do Theravada nuns and monks commonly live together in the same monastery? Are Theravada
Hello Sheranne,

No, they do not commonly do this. Nuns usually live at a separate address, with a female Abbot. Monks cannot be alone with a female.

However, the esteemed Bhikkhu Bodhi did live for a long while here (not sure if he is still in residence):

Bodhi Monastery (not named after Bhikkhu Bodhi - it is a Mahayana monastery)
Monastery in Lafayette, New Jersey Bhikkhu Bodhi, prolific translator of the Pali Canon into English, lives here. Take advantage of talks on the web, weekly classes and meditations at the monastery. One of the few monasteries where Mahayana and Theravada monks and nuns live together.
http://www.dharmapunxnyc.com/resources.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

mikenz66 wrote:The "problem" with the question is that Sher is obviously referring to a particular individual (who would be obvious to many here), but is trying to frame the question in a general hypothetical way. The problem with that is that it casts aspersions on that individual which may well be unfair. And this impossible to discuss without being specific.

Mike
Who is it?
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Sheranne wrote:Hello
Do Theravada nuns and monks commonly live together in the same monastery? Are Theravada monasteries normally co-ed? I was under the impression that monasteries were separated by sex--is this not true? It seems unusual for a forest tradition senior monk to have a nun as his sole companion and assistant. Is this okay and ordinary? Thanks, Sher
I think the debate has moved in a dubious direction . It started as a general question/observation. Then was construed rightly or wrongly as referring to a specific situation, and now has become a source of gossip.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.