How to practice mindfulness effectively?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
EricJ

How to practice mindfulness effectively?

Post by EricJ »

In the past few days, I have had a surge of viriya, and I have decided to truly commit myself to Dhamma after a hiatus (if it is possible to have a hiatus before you've really gotten off the ground, that is.) It has happened so suddenly, but I feel more confidence in the Dhamma than I ever have before. I find I am able to meditate multiple times a day for longer periods of time (samatha variant of anapanasati). I'm also going to be moving to Portland, OR from rural Arkansas, which I find encouraging because my opportunities for group practice and teachings will be dramatically expanded. I'm also going to use the move to formally Take Refuge with a bhikkhu/teacher.

This brings me to my question. Although I have been practicing anapanasati 2-3 times per day, I feel some confusion about how to approach the world and myself in amindful manner. Specifically, it seems that there is so much to be mindful of that I sometimes don't know where to start, whether I should jump from object of awareness to object of awareness, or if I should just focus on my breath at all times. Does anyone have any advice about effectively cultivating sati? Also, is mindfulness a faculty which is gradually strengthened? Even when I feel I am being mindful (most noticably after meditation sessions) I eventually begin to lapse in and out of awareness. Also, I would appreciate any general advice for strengthening my practice in this stage, regardless of whether it is related to the subject of mindfulness.

In Dhamma,
Eric
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
Shonin

Re: How to practice mindfulness effectively?

Post by Shonin »

As I see it, mindfulness can be of two main types: concentrated on one particular phenomenon (eg, the breath), or generalised, with awareness remaining in the here and now without following any particular phenomenon.

Either one can be practiced. The latter may be easier to practice as a default, paying attention to your internal state, sensations and external phenomena as they arise and practicing the former when there is something specific to focus on and when gathering your awareness.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Notice when you are aware, notice when your attention is fully with what you are doing, and notice when it has been drifting off somewhere else and you've just realised it.

That's all you need to do, you don't need to get bogged down in noting techniques, though they can be helpful at times they can also be quite bothersome. You just reinforce awareness by continually noticing what it's like to lose your awareness of the present moment and what it feels like when you are fully aware.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

I have a heuristic which tells me that sati notes the arising, persisting, and ceasing of body senses, feelings, thoughts, and ideas. Noting the breath reminds me of anicca, and I try to simply note anicca (or anatta) whenever I recall the breath.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Eric,

See...

MN 10: Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Goofaholix wrote:Notice when you are aware, notice when your attention is fully with what you are doing, and notice when it has been drifting off somewhere else and you've just realised it...
Thanks for that Goof, if I may call you that.

This is definitely the simplest and most fool proof place to start.
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

EricJ wrote: This brings me to my question. Although I have been practicing anapanasati 2-3 times per day, I feel some confusion about how to approach the world and myself in a mindful manner. Specifically, it seems that there is so much to be mindful of that I sometimes don't know where to start, whether I should jump from object of awareness to object of awareness, or if I should just focus on my breath at all times. Does anyone have any advice about effectively cultivating sati?

You might do well to read and heed Thanissaro Bhikkhu's essay on The Path of Concentration & Mindfulness. He gives some very good, solid advice about this beginning around the fourth and fifth paragraphs. But read and heed the whole essay. It's very simply and straightforwardly explained.
EricJ wrote: Also, is mindfulness a faculty which is gradually strengthened? Even when I feel I am being mindful (most noticably after meditation sessions) I eventually begin to lapse in and out of awareness. Also, I would appreciate any general advice for strengthening my practice in this stage, regardless of whether it is related to the subject of mindfulness.
Pretty generally, yes. Thanissaro also has some insight about this, too, in that essay. Lapsing in and out of awareness is fairly common for beginners and some intermediate practitioners. You just have to keep bringing the mind back to the point of reference again and again, until the mind learns to settle down and stay relatively fixed on the object.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
EricJ

Post by EricJ »

Thanks for the replies thus far. Maybe I was looking for a philosophical secret that was never there? I find the Bahiya Sutta helpful: "In the seen will be merely what is seen..."

I have another question. I have been reading and making an outline of Venerable Thanissaro's "Wings of Awakening: Part II." I am finding this enormously helpful. I would like to clarify something about satipatthana meditation practice. I have gleaned from this article that in establishing the frames of reference, one starts with the body as object (through anapanasati, for instance) and develops strong concentration to the first jhana. Once this is accomplished, one can extend the frame of reference to encompass feelings (the rapture of jhana, etc.) and gradually move through the other two frames of reference, all the while observing causal relationships so as to develop skillful qualities and diminish unskillful qualities.

Is this a correct interpretation?
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
effort

Post by effort »

i found out its better to choose the easiest object at the moment, so if in your daily life you are washing then you can choose between awareness of seeing, moving hands, mind, breath... anything thats mind could stay with that better.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Also read this:
http://www.tricycle.com/a-mindful-balance?offer=dharma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
bodom

Post by bodom »

While mindfulness (sati) is often equated with bare attention, my conversations with—and recent studies of works by—the learned monks Bhikkhu Bodhi and Bhikkhu Analayo, and Rupert Gethin, president of the Pali Text Society, led me to conclude that bare attention corresponds much more closely to the Pali term manasikara, which is commonly translated as “attention” or “mental engagement.” This word refers to the initial split seconds of the bare cognizing of an object, before one begins to recognize, identify, and conceptualize, and in Buddhist accounts it is not regarded as a wholesome mental factor. It is ethically neutral. The primary meaning of sati, on the other hand, is recollection, non-forgetfulness. This includes retrospective memory of things in the past, prospectively remembering to do something in the future, and present-centered recollection in the sense of maintaining unwavering attention to a present reality.
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the link Bhante.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

EricJ wrote: Is this a correct interpretation?
It has been quite a while since I read that book, so I cannot say just what Than's presentation is. But I would agree with your conclusion in part. The first four steps of anapanasati as listed in the body frame reference of the satipatthana sutta are for body only of course, and the perfecting of them leads to the conditions for first jhana... but it is not until steps five and six, dealing with happiness and rapture, that it is actual jhana.
EricJ

Post by EricJ »

thereductor wrote:It has been quite a while since I read that book, so I cannot say just what Than's presentation is. But I would agree with your conclusion in part. The first four steps of anapanasati as listed in the body frame reference of the satipatthana sutta are for body only of course, and the perfecting of them leads to the conditions for first jhana... but it is not until steps five and six, dealing with happiness and rapture, that it is actual jhana.
Does jhana (based on mindfulness of breath) become the means by which one explores the other three frames of reference? For instance, one could explore feeling by being mindful of the rapturous sensation of jhana or mental formations by focusing on/manipulating the mental qualities (whether kusala or akusala) present in jhana.

I came to this interpretation from that article and from discussions on Dhamma Wheel, where users often mention the need to let jhana rapture "fill" the body, like kneading water and bath powder together to form a moisture-laden ball, to use the Buddha's simile.

- Snp. 1.3
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

EricJ wrote:
thereductor wrote:It has been quite a while since I read that book, so I cannot say just what Than's presentation is. But I would agree with your conclusion in part. The first four steps of anapanasati as listed in the body frame reference of the satipatthana sutta are for body only of course, and the perfecting of them leads to the conditions for first jhana... but it is not until steps five and six, dealing with happiness and rapture, that it is actual jhana.
Does jhana (based on mindfulness of breath) become the means by which one explores the other three frames of reference? For instance, one could explore feeling by being mindful of the rapturous sensation of jhana or mental formations by focusing on/manipulating the mental qualities (whether kusala or akusala) present in jhana.
By the time step six is in full swing you would be in a jhanic state. The three frames of reference, body feeling and mind, would all be present enough for you to explore them. But because there remains all three frames there is a good deal of activity which has an obscuring effect on the mind, so the mind frame is not as clear as the other two.

Steps 7 and 8 settle most of the activity concerned with body and feeling, while 9 - 12 move the emphasis to the mind while making it steadier and clearer, and so it is much easier to observe its subtle aspects.

I came to this interpretation from that article and from discussions on Dhamma Wheel, where users often mention the need to let jhana rapture "fill" the body, like kneading water and bath powder together to form a moisture-laden ball, to use the Buddha's simile.
The first four steps draw the mind inside and away from external objects. The body is good for this as it is always there and easy to isolate from external things. I would subdivide these four into smaller groups, actually... the first two allow you to steady the mind, the next step (3) turns the steady mind to the bodily sensations, step four allows the mind and body to start relaxing. When the mind is steady inside and the body and mind are relaxed together, then rapture and pleasure arise... the "kneading" of these two together with the body is done simply by keeping body mind and these feelings all in mind - ie, don't let yourself get distracted by the pleasure and rapture but let all these things be there together in your awareness. They'll mingle on their own.

Hopefully this clarifies some for you, both in terms of what Than says and in terms of any additional uncertainties you might have. If not, ask away.

Oh I would note that the fourth frame of reference is a somewhat different beast. Mostly because this frame is not strictly related to jhana, but is a matter of general observation, either in jhana (for all but the five hindrances) or outside of jhana. It is the widest ranging frame and requires the most wisdom to pursue (or, it will develop the most wisdom when pursued). IMO.

EDIT: I don't mean that the other three frames can only be utilized in jhana, but rather that the fourth frame can in some respect only be utilized outside of jhana, as in the five hindrances.
EricJ

Post by EricJ »

Thanks for that article suggestion, Ven. Gavesako. I will read through it.

And thanks to all who have helped clarify some of this material. :anjali:

Today, I was meditating (anapanasati). My breath became more refined and short as I was meditating, and I started having some intense sensations. For instance, I worried that my breath was too short and that I wasn't getting enough oxygen. I wasn't in pain or anything. It just felt kind of overwhelming and intense. But I managed to keep the focus on my breath, taking an occasional longer breath or taking more breaths. Also, near the end, I felt as if I was leaning/drifting to in other directions (as opposed to remaining upright), but I don't think I was actually moving. So, here are my questions:

1) Is this normal? Is it progress?
2) Should I actively strive to make my breath more refined, quiet, and short?
3) Should I worry about the shortness of breath?

Many thanks,
Eric

- Snp. 1.3