The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bodom

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by bodom »

1 hour walking meditation.
1 hour metta/anapanasati.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

I think I can consider I am now steady (nearly 2 weeks practicing that way) with one additional hour every morning.

The session has become: 2 am - 6 am

I am also steady in sleeping 4h30mn per 24h, which makes me go to bed at 9:30 pm.
When I don' have to go to work, 4h is fine.

but I really need this because I am experiencing :rolleye: due to having taken ayahuasca a few years ago. It is sometimes very frustrating to pratice that much to get so little inner peace. I hope to get over it soon.
:meditate:
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodom

Post by bodom »

Dukkhanirodha wrote:It is sometimes very frustrating to pratice that much to get so little inner peace.
Maybe wanting to achieve peace and putting expectations on your practice is exactly what is keeping you from attaining peace?

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

1 hour metta/anapanasati.

- BB
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

bodom wrote:
Dukkhanirodha wrote:It is sometimes very frustrating to pratice that much to get so little inner peace.
Maybe wanting to achieve peace and putting expectations on your practice is exactly what is keeping you from attaining peace?

I wish it was so simple

AvaLily

Post by AvaLily »

May i please join?
i will be doing 10 minutes
Ella
bodom

Post by bodom »

40 minutes walking meditation.

Tomorrow I am planning on 45 minutes walking followed by 45 minutes sitting in the morning. I am hoping to get up to an hour each of walking and sitting every morning in the next few weeks.

- BB
adept

Post by adept »

For the past few weeks I've been doing 20 minutes 5-6 mornings per week in full lotus noting the rising and falling of the abdomen.
EricJ

Post by EricJ »

I have been in the process of seriously establishing my practice and commitment to the Dhamma this week. The will/viriya to do this emerged randomly this week, but I feel more saddha than I ever have before and I have a strong sense that now is the time, that the conditions are perfect, and that my path has led me to this point in time. I find I am able meditate for longer periods of time whenever I have this type of true conviction, which has been absent in previous attempts.

My challenge is to use my summer before college to create the conditions for a lifetime practice. For me, this involves meditation 2-3 times every day for a least thirty minutes per session, with gradual increases in duration on days whenever the conditions feel right. But at least thirty minutes each time. I also commit myself to maintaining ardency, alertness and mindfulness of the present moment and to study of the Dhamma.

This summer is perfect for this because I have no job, no responsibilities, and no external impediments to interfere with my practice. I also spend most of my time alone, which speaks to the fruits of practice "born of solitude."

Now, for the supportive aspect of this thread, I have a question for anyone willing to answer. How can I get my feet/legs to stop going numb in cross-legged positions? I'm young, flexible and sprightly (until anicca gets me), and I can get in to the position easily. But at least one foot always goes numb.
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

EricJ wrote: Now, for the supportive aspect of this thread, I have a question for anyone willing to answer. How can I get my feet/legs to stop going numb in cross-legged positions? I'm young, flexible and sprightly (until anicca gets me), and I can get in to the position easily. But at least one foot always goes numb.
You don't.

Just sit up straight and stay with your object; let the legs take care of themselves. It ain't easy, but its easy.

If you sit enough your body will get used to it, but numbness, if you're going numb, is likely to persist.
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

thereductor wrote:
EricJ wrote: Now, for the supportive aspect of this thread, I have a question for anyone willing to answer. How can I get my feet/legs to stop going numb in cross-legged positions? I'm young, flexible and sprightly (until anicca gets me), and I can get in to the position easily. But at least one foot always goes numb.
You don't.

Just sit up straight and stay with your object; let the legs take care of themselves. It ain't easy, but its easy.

If you sit enough your body will get used to it, but numbness, if you're going numb, is likely to persist.
I would answer the same except that no numbness persists forever. The tendency of the body to react with numbness will very probably vanish within 1 week or 2 weeks or 4 weeks or maybe 1 month or 2 months or 4 months. It will happen by itself. No thought, no discussion can make it disappear.

On the other hand, thinking about it, and worse talking about it will certainly increase the aversion you may have towards it, and thus slow down the process of your liberation as regards to numbness in the feet.

Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Dukkhanirodha wrote: I would answer the same except that no numbness persists forever. The tendency of the body to react with numbness will very probably vanish within 1 week or 2 weeks or 4 weeks or maybe 1 month or 2 months or 4 months. It will happen by itself. No thought, no discussion can make it disappear.
Maybe it depends on hours on the seat more than days and weeks? :thinking: I've maintained my practice for over a year but continue to have numb legs on exit of meditation. Since I know Dukkhanirodha spends a lot more actual time on the meditation seat than I do, perhaps that is the difference.

Anyway, as concentration improves numbness ceases to be a bother. When I'm absorbed in my theme I am not aware of numbness at all. If my concentration is not so deep then I am aware of numbness, but am not bothered by it.

So EricJ, just practice. Don't practice just because you have energy now, practice because practice is the way. I'm a new fan of Ajahn Chah, and he'd say: practice when your diligent, practice when your lazy.
EricJ

Post by EricJ »

thereductor wrote:Maybe it depends on hours on the seat more than days and weeks? :thinking: I've maintained my practice for over a year but continue to have numb legs on exit of meditation. Since I know Dukkhanirodha spends a lot more actual time on the meditation seat than I do, perhaps that is the difference.

Anyway, as concentration improves numbness ceases to be a bother. When I'm absorbed in my theme I am not aware of numbness at all. If my concentration is not so deep then I am aware of numbness, but am not bothered by it.

So EricJ, just practice. Don't practice just because you have energy now, practice because practice is the way. I'm a new fan of Ajahn Chah, and he'd say: practice when your diligent, practice when your lazy.
Although I trust the experiences of people who have more experience than me, I am still going to look for a solution to the leg issue. It clearly has an origin in something to do with my posture, and I believe it has something to do with an uneven distribution of weight in my pelvic area. "With this arises that."

But in the mean time, I will do everything I can to maintain focus on the breath, in line with your suggestions. :meditate:

I have given to indolence and laziness in the past, so I feel as if I can recognize whenever this hindrance is burgeoning and act accordingly. I feel like I am in a position to address that issue skillfully. I did so last night at eleven, whenever I was feeling tired and went to meditate anyway.

Would anyone like to comment on how to effectively body scan?

Many thanks,
Eric
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Greetings Eric,

have you thought about using a meditation bench? Switching from cross legged to sitting with the support of a bench has been really beneficial for my practice. The knees needed some time adjusting to it, but there are no numb legs anymore and sitting for longer than 20-30 minutes has become a lot easier.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

EricJ wrote:Now, for the supportive aspect of this thread, I have a question for anyone willing to answer. How can I get my feet/legs to stop going numb in cross-legged positions? I'm young, flexible and sprightly (until anicca gets me), and I can get in to the position easily. But at least one foot always goes numb.
I would just stretch out the legs, wait till the numbness goes away, and then go back in the position... repeat as needed. It's not really that big of a deal. Also, I think this is an excellent way to develop the patience, which is important. Eventually (sooner than you might think), you'll be able to sit longer and longer without the numbness.