A proof of the inviolability of karma

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: A proof of the inviolability of karma

Postby alexryan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:48 am

Retro,

Great question.
I believe that the level of conviction that we have in a belief is *very* relevant to how we behave.

Although most Buddhists claim to believe in karma, it has been my experience that this belief is not that strong because they also claim to believe in "injustice". These beliefs are contradictory. If karma is real, then injustice does not exist.

When the level of conviction in karma really counts is when we are a victim of something truly horrible and are consumed by the primal desire to strike back.
That is exactly when it matters the most.
Because if we believe with absolute certainty that the people who hurt us will pay and that if we decide to strike back that we would pay our ability to self-regulate our destructive emotions is increased to the level where conflict can be avoided.

Such is the nature of satyagraha.

Think of the consequences of that if everyone held that conviction.

IMHO that is a world worth fighting for. :)
alexryan

Postby bodom » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:05 am

alexryan wrote:Although most Buddhists claim to believe in karma, it has been my experience that this belief is not that strong because they also claim to believe in "injustice".

Hi Alex

I have never made such a claim and do not know of any other Buddhist's who have even an elementary understanding of kamma make such a claim.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby alexryan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:03 am

Hi bodom,

Thank you for your comment.
I think that you are very wise.
I only recently came to this accept this as truth myself. :)

With Metta,
Alex
alexryan

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma