Buddho

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
PeterB

Re: Buddho

Post by PeterB »

This topic keeps popping back up.. :o Thanks Bodom.. :namaste:
bodom

Post by bodom »

PeterB wrote:This topic keeps popping back up.. :o Thanks Bodom.. :namaste:
Ive been practicing with Buddho the past few days and doing some research on the net on the topic. I found Seeking Buddho. It contains the clearest instructions for practicing with the mantra I have read yet.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Hoo

Post by Hoo »

bodom wrote:Hi Peter

Ive recently came across this article called Seeking Buddho from Ajahn Anan Akincano a disciple of Ajahn Chah. It is excellent.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... Buddho.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link, Bodom. You do have some excellent stuff and I appreciate your sharing it. :thanks:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Hoo wrote:
bodom wrote:Hi Peter

Ive recently came across this article called Seeking Buddho from Ajahn Anan Akincano a disciple of Ajahn Chah. It is excellent.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... Buddho.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link, Bodom. You do have some excellent stuff and I appreciate your sharing it. :thanks:
Your welcome Hoo!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

we should talk more about buddho... has anyone ever heard of it beening taught outside the thai forest tradition?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings JC,
jcsuperstar wrote:we should talk more about buddho... has anyone ever heard of it beening taught outside the thai forest tradition?
Or its origins in general... is it an invention of the Thai Forest tradition, or does it have roots elsewhere?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

the furthest i can trace it back is ajaan Sao who taught it to ajaan Mun though i've never seen anywhere where it said it was an invention of Ajaan Sao and since they were the birth of the Dhammayut line of the Thai forest tradition their mahanikai predecessors just kinda get left out of the story. a good clue would be did ajahn Chah learn Buddho from ajaan Mun or did he learn it from his main teacher (who's name i can't recall, but was praised by Ajaan Mun) since that would mean it didn't come from ajaan Sao. thats all i have right now
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello JC,

It comes from The Buddhanussati Gatha which many of us recite every week at our monasteries.

Iti pi so bhagavā arahaṃ sammāsaṃbuddho
vijjācaraṇasaṃpanno sugato lokavidū
anuttarapurisadammasārathī
satthā devamanussānaṃ buddho bhagavā ti.

It comes from sutta sources such as MN 12 Maha-sihanada Sutta: The Great Discourse on the Lion's Roar
5. "Sariputta, this misguided man Sunakkhatta will never infer of me according to Dhamma: 'That Blessed One is accomplished, fully enlightened, perfect in true knowledge and conduct, sublime, knower of worlds, incomparable leader of persons to be tamed, teacher of gods and humans, enlightened, blessed.'
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .ntbb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Ninefold Interpretation:

“Thus indeed is the Exalted One (1) an accomplished one, (2) a fully-enlightened one, (3) endowed with knowledge and good conduct, (4) well gone or gone to bliss, (5) a knower of the world, (6) an unsurpassed leader of persons to be tamed, (7) a teacher of humans and devas, (8) the awakened or the one who knows, (9) the sublime or exalted.”

1. Arahat
2. Sammasambuddha
3. Vijjacaranasampanna
4. Sugata
5. Lokavidu
6. AnuttaraPurisadammasarathi
7. Satha Devamanussanam
8. Buddha
9. Bhagava

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Cooran,

That's true of the actual word, but is it also true of "buddho" as an object of meditation, a support for meditation, or (dare I say it) a "meditation technique"?

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello retrofuturist,

Yes, that is the way it is taught, as an initial object of concentration ~ eventually to be set aside when no longer needed.

Similarly to how the Anapanasati Sutta doesn't actually mention the nose-tip or abdomen as the points at which to watch the breath - but those are some of the ways it has been taught through-out the buddhist world.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is no formulae set in concrete for meditation ~ whatever assists Right Concentration.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Cooran,

I agree with what you say here - it's certainly a case of function over form. As someone said in a similar topic a few months ago, if someone could use the word 'Coca Cola' and achieve the same outcome, it would be equally as useful.

I suppose my query was regarding how/when the term "buddho" itself came to be used "as an initial object of concentration". I suppose it's not all that important in the scheme of things, since as you allude to, it's simply a means to concentration, but within the bounds of the Thai Forest tradition it seems to have become a reasonably mainstream object of meditation in its own right, and the history of the use of the word as a path to concentration interests me.

Metta,
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

retrofuturist wrote:
I suppose my query was regarding how/when the term "buddho" itself came to be used "as an initial object of concentration". I suppose it's not all that important in the scheme of things, since as you allude to, it's simply a means to concentration, but within the bounds of the Thai Forest tradition it seems to have become a reasonably mainstream object of meditation in its own right, and the history of the use of the word as a path to concentration interests me.)
and me as well, but as i've shown there seems to be a dead end in my search, unless you can pick it up in sri lanka as a practice i think that is as far back as youre going to get from thai sorces, my thai reading abilities are still nil at this point (get back at me in a few months as i am studying), so i cant dig into anything other than english translations, i have however found cool books on kasinas and other subjects in thai, but not buddho... this problem though is slightly political(?) as the mahanikai monks mostly serviced the poorer populations and had no royal or noble support from bangkok so there was no one to publish books by them or stories about them, so they are lost to history...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hmm, interesting question. Many of the specific little mediation techniques, like counting breaths as a way of getting some focus when starting anapanasati, or beginning metta meditation by extending it to yourself, have obviously been around for a long time, since they are mentioned in the Visuddhimagga and presumably the older commentaries that it is based upon, so may well have been around since the time of the Buddha, or shortly after.

As Chris says, there is not a lot of detail on technique in the Suttas themselves. In fact, we have Suttas suggesting that a monk seek out a friend or teacher for the specifics:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AN 4.94 Samadhi Sutta: Concentration (Tranquillity and Insight)
"As for the individual who has attained neither internal tranquillity of awareness nor insight into phenomena through heightened discernment, he should approach an individual who has attained both internal tranquillity of awareness & insight into phenomena through heightened discernment... and ask him, 'How should the mind be steadied? How should it be made to settle down? How should it be unified? How should it be concentrated? How should fabrications be regarded? How should they be investigated? How should they be seen with insight?' The other will answer in line with what he has seen & experienced: 'The mind should be steadied in this way. The mind should be made to settle down in this way. The mind should be unified in this way. The mind should be concentrated in this way. Fabrications should be regarded in this way. Fabrications should be investigated in this way. Fabrications should be seen in this way with insight.' Then eventually he [the first] will become one who has attained both internal tranquillity of awareness & insight into phenomena through heightened discernment.
The use of Buddho may well be quite ancient, but perhaps not written down in commentaries accessible in English. Perhaps JC will turn up something eventually...

Mike
wouter_doorn

Post by wouter_doorn »

I have been practicing samatha meditation on the sound of Buddho for 5 years. It is a system from my Birmese teacher in Thailand. In his system this is not an addition to anapanasati or anything, it is a meditation on its own. You can use it from beginning to end, no switching of meditation object is needed! Increasing concentration, surpressing hindrances and finally path and fruition. In this system wisdom comes automatically with the concentration. As far as I have understood there is a difference between the word Buddho and other words (I guess just as there is a difference between the different colored kasinas). In Birma and Thailand there are many monks practicing this system.

Metta,

Wouter

PS:
Practicing this system without a teacher who has firm personal experience with this method is very very difficult, if not impossible... There are many places you can get stuck!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
wouter_doorn wrote:In this system wisdom comes automatically with the concentration.
How does 'buddho' then differ from something like the Hindu 'OM' which doesn't lead to "path and fruition"?

Metta,