how many different ways did the buddha explain meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
dhammastudier

Re: how many different ways did the buddha explain meditation?

Post by dhammastudier »

Ben wrote:Zac, you need to have a look at the Tipitaka and the evidence seems to suggest that he taught different meditation subjects to different people.
kind regards

Ben

thanx, it would take a lot of time, money, and energy to look through all fifteen books of the tipitaka so i was hoping someone could just tell me where to find the info.
Ben

Post by Ben »

zac wrote:
bodom wrote:
zac wrote:so these are things he said to meditate on? i've never learned anything about meditating on anything but the breath... does he explain these techniques ever?
You will need to read the Visuddhimagga for an explanation of how these 40 subjects are to be used as meditation subjects.

:anjali:
ARRRG! CAN'T BUY MORE DHARMA BOOKS!!!

we'll see how long this decision lasts :lol:
Borrow it from your local library. And if they don't have it, get them to get it for you via inter-library-loan.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

ok let me re-frame my question then:

what types of meditation do you guys do? what are some books that teach these methods?

on a side note: why are there a bazillion books on mindfulness of breathing and i've never seen one on anything else? not to say there aren't any on other books on other methods but you have to have noticed that the majority of them on bookshelves or recommended reading lists on buddhism are on breathing. strange.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Also keep in mind the Buddha gave many meditation subjects because of the different temperaments and capacities of those he was instructing.
The Pali commentaries further provide guidelines for suggesting meditation subjects based on ones general temperament:

Greedy: the ten foulness meditations; or, body contemplation.

Hating: the four brahma-viharas; or, the four color kasinas.

Deluded: mindfulness of breath.

Faithful: the first six recollections.

Intelligent: recollection of death or peace; the perception of disgust of food; or, the analysis of the four elements.

Speculative: mindfulness of breath.

The six non-color kasinas and the four formless states are suitable for all temperaments.

Bhante Gunaratana - The Jhanas in Theravada Buddhist Meditation
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

You will need to read the Visuddhimagga for an explanation of how these 40 subjects are to be used as meditation subjects.

Borrow it from your local library. And if they don't have it, get them to get it for you via inter-library-loan.
good idea ben, thanx. i'll try that.
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

bodom wrote:Also keep in mind the Buddha gave many meditation subjects because of the different temperaments and capacities of those he was instructing.
The Pali commentaries further provide guidelines for suggesting meditation subjects based on ones general temperament:

Greedy: the ten foulness meditations; or, body contemplation.

Hating: the four brahma-viharas; or, the four color kasinas.

Deluded: mindfulness of breath.

Faithful: the first six recollections.

Intelligent: recollection of death or peace; the perception of disgust of food; or, the analysis of the four elements.

Speculative: mindfulness of breath.

The six non-color kasinas and the four formless states are suitable for all temperaments.

Bhante Gunaratana - The Jhanas in Theravada Buddhist Meditation
good point bodom, i read this somewhere before. so i guess technically one could say that there might only be one method of meditation for one person. although that might be an overstatement.
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

Kenshou wrote:
zac wrote: that's kind of what i thought. hopefully someone could give at least a brief summary...
Well they all come down to the end purpose of allowing the mind to understand clearly the fact that all phenomena are dependently originated, unreliable and impermanent, unsatisfactory, and selfless, so that everything can be let go, unclung from, and so dukkha can be ended.

Every meditation or contemplation comes down to either developing wholesome mental qualities for the sake of a lucid mind (jhana, metta, other brahmaviharas), preventing unwholesome qualities detrimental to mental development (parts of the body, corpse contemplation), or, a scheme for dividing up one's experience to provide a systematic framework for analysis. (five aggregates, satipatthana, four elements)

Every meditation practice is directly linked to the realizing of the same final goal, or complementary to it's realization. There's a pretty big toolbox given to us, but with these things in mind it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what is meant for what.
ok, thanx.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello zac,

Many people expect to find a quick way of meditation , an easy way, or a way filled with good feelings and exciting happenings.

Meditation, in the beginning, can be hard boring work requiring perseverance and a regular effort.

Here is a 90 day on-line course I did some years ago. I strongly recommend it.
http://www.vipassana.com/course/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next Course is September 2010 (September 11th - December 9th) - applications now being accepted

Read the comments of those who did the course.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

cooran wrote:Hello zac,

Many people expect to find a quick way of meditation , an easy way, or a way filled with good feelings and exciting happenings.

Meditation, in the beginning, can be hard boring work requiring perseverance and a regular effort.

Here is a 90 day on-line course I did some years ago. I strongly recommend it.
http://www.vipassana.com/course/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next Course is September 2010 (September 11th - December 9th) - applications now being accepted

Read the comments of those who did the course.

with metta
Chris
i've been meditating since i was seventeen (now 26) and have had maaaaaany benefits. i never expected a quick way of meditation or a way filled with good feelings and exciting happenings. i'm just curious to know if i should be doing more than just mindfulness of breathing. thanx though :) didn't mean to imply i was a newbie, in fact i should probably edit my original statement to make that clear. thanx chris.
bodom

Post by bodom »

zac wrote:I'm just curious to know if i should be doing more than just mindfulness of breathing.

Ajaan Fuang Jotiko one of the great Thai Forest Ajahn's said "The breath can take you all the way to nibbana, you know."

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

bodom wrote:Ajaan Fuang Jotiko one of the great Thai Forest Ajahn's said "The breath can take you all the way to nibbana, you know."

bodom we are on the same thought link! i was reading this:
"The next anussati is concentration on breathing (pp. 227-258). It
is a particularly useful meditation, being the only one the Buddha
described which can lead to both mindfulness and insight. This is the
only meditation which can lead a practitioner from begining practice
all the way to enlightenment. "

on buddha net and when i clicked back here you had just posted your statement!
bodom

Post by bodom »

Right on. :toast:

- BB
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Zac,
zac wrote:
bodom wrote:
zac wrote:so these are things he said to meditate on? i've never learned anything about meditating on anything but the breath... does he explain these techniques ever?

I recall you said you had "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi. There is a whole chapter there on Suttas to do with meditation:
VIII. Mastering the Mind
Introduction 257
1. The Mind Is the Key (AN 1: iii, 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10) 267
2. Developing a Pair of Skills
(1) Serenity and Insight (AN 2: iii, 10) 267
(2) Four Ways to Arahantship (AN 4:170) 268
(3) Four Kinds of Persons (AN 4:94) 269
3. The Hindrances to Mental Development (SN 46:55, abridged) 270
4. The Refinement of the Mind (AN 3:100 §§1–10) 273
5. The Removal of Distracting Thoughts (MN 20) 275
6. The Mind of Loving-Kindness (from MN 21) 278
7. The Six Recollections (AN 6:10) 279
8. The Four Establishments of Mindfulness (MN 10) 281
9. Mindfulness of Breathing (SN 54:13) 290
10. The Achievement of Mastery (SN 28:1–9, combined) 296
Mike
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

i wrote:
gah! so frustrating because i'm learning from a chan monk who says that there is just the one type of meditation. so who do i see to teach me the other types??? recommend any books on the topics?
to be clear i don't think that he doesn't know about any other methods but that this is all he teaches.
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Zac,
I recall you said you had "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi. There is a whole chapter there on Suttas to do with meditation:
VIII. Mastering the Mind
Introduction 257
1. The Mind Is the Key (AN 1: iii, 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10) 267
2. Developing a Pair of Skills
(1) Serenity and Insight (AN 2: iii, 10) 267
(2) Four Ways to Arahantship (AN 4:170) 268
(3) Four Kinds of Persons (AN 4:94) 269
3. The Hindrances to Mental Development (SN 46:55, abridged) 270
4. The Refinement of the Mind (AN 3:100 §§1–10) 273
5. The Removal of Distracting Thoughts (MN 20) 275
6. The Mind of Loving-Kindness (from MN 21) 278
7. The Six Recollections (AN 6:10) 279
8. The Four Establishments of Mindfulness (MN 10) 281
9. Mindfulness of Breathing (SN 54:13) 290
10. The Achievement of Mastery (SN 28:1–9, combined) 296
Mike
:rofl: good point mike!!! i read those years ago and could answer my own questions if i take it back off the shelf! in fact now that i think of it that's why a lot of what people are telling me sounds familiar!