how many different ways did the buddha explain meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
cooran

Re: how many different ways did the buddha explain meditation?

Post by cooran »

zac wrote:
cooran wrote: Chris
i've been meditating since i was seventeen (now 26) and have had maaaaaany benefits. i never expected a quick way of meditation or a way filled with good feelings and exciting happenings. i'm just curious to know if i should be doing more than just mindfulness of breathing. thanx though :) didn't mean to imply i was a newbie, in fact i should probably edit my original statement to make that clear. thanx chris.
No worries zac. My misunderstanding of your experience in meditation is a very good thing. :twothumbsup: I have been meditating since the late 90's but I am having difficulties myself at this moment, and, in order to respond to your question I thought (for the first time in about ten years) about this course run by Andrew Quernmore.
So .... I have enrolled in it myself. :rofl:

with laughing metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

zac wrote: :rofl: good point mike!!! i read those years ago and could answer my own questions if i take it back off the shelf! in fact now that i think of it that's why a lot of what people are telling me sounds familiar!
Since the book was first published in 2005, it's can't be very many years since you read it... :reading:

Mike
bodom

Post by bodom »

cooran wrote:
zac wrote:
i've been meditating since i was seventeen (now 26) and have had maaaaaany benefits. i never expected a quick way of meditation or a way filled with good feelings and exciting happenings. i'm just curious to know if i should be doing more than just mindfulness of breathing. thanx though :) didn't mean to imply i was a newbie, in fact i should probably edit my original statement to make that clear. thanx chris.
No worries zac. My misunderstanding of your experience in meditation is a very good thing. :twothumbsup: I have been meditating since the late 90's but I am having difficulties myself at this moment, and, in order to respond to your question I thought (for the first time in about ten years) about this course run by Andrew Quernmore.

with laughing metta
Chris
I think its always good to go back to the basics.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

cooran wrote:
zac wrote:

with laughing metta
Chris
oh right on, maybe i'll give it a shot as well,
thanx again:)
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

mikenz66 wrote:
zac wrote: :rofl: good point mike!!! i read those years ago and could answer my own questions if i take it back off the shelf! in fact now that i think of it that's why a lot of what people are telling me sounds familiar!
Since the book was first published in 2005, it's can't be very many years since you read it... :reading:

Mike
five years is enough to forget something you read once but didn't practice ;)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

zac wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:

Mike
Hmm, if you can't recall what's in that book, I would suggest reading the whole thing again... :reading:

Mike
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

Mike

Hmm, if you can't recall what's in that book, I would suggest reading the whole thing again... :reading:

Mike
you must have a legendary memory! you can read a chapter of a book, one time, not think of it again or practice it's meaning, and remember it crystal clear after five years? i'm impressed! :bow:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Zac,
zac wrote: you must have a legendary memory! you can read a chapter of a book, one time, not think of it again or practice it's meaning, and remember it crystal clear after five years? i'm impressed! :bow:
No, I said "recall what's in that book", not "recall that book...". There is a big difference... :reading:

I don't remember details very well, but I have studied In the Buddha's Words quite a lot, so I have a fair idea of what is in it, and so it is easy to find it. And I know from my other reading that the selection that Bhikkhu Bodhi made is wide and careful enough so that there is something on almost every topic that arises in the Suttas.

Consequently, when someone asks a question about what the Buddha taught on some topic, I often just look at the detailed contents pages (which are available as a PDF here: http://wisdompubs.org/Pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=104) to find some relevant Suttas. For me that approach is a lot faster than searching through the full NIkaya volumes, or the on-line translations, looking for something...

Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

from my readings of suttas which it appears that the Buddha spent a lot of time doing walking meditation, maybe it would be helpful to you if you followed in his footsteps :tongue: 555...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Zac,
zac wrote: you must have a legendary memory! you can read a chapter of a book, one time, not think of it again or practice it's meaning, and remember it crystal clear after five years? i'm impressed! :bow:
No, I said "recall what's in that book", not "recall that book...". There is a big difference... :reading:

I don't remember details very well, but I have studied In the Buddha's Words quite a lot, so I have a fair idea of what is in it, and so it is easy to find it. And I know from my other reading that the selection that Bhikkhu Bodhi made is wide and careful enough so that there is something on almost every topic that arises in the Suttas.

Consequently, when someone asks a question about what the Buddha taught on some topic, I often just look at the detailed contents pages (which are available as a PDF here: http://wisdompubs.org/Pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=104) to find some relevant Suttas. For me that approach is a lot faster than searching through the full NIkaya volumes, or the on-line translations, looking for something...

Mike
gotcha. well i remember what's IN that book in general, some parts better than others and certainly enough that i don't feel the need to re-read the entire thing. i will re-read the sections you mentioned though as they are clearly of interest to me right now. i didn't recall that section except for the mindfulness of breathing part. the rest of the section on mastering the mind i vaguely recall and as i read people's replies on here i knew i had read them somewhere and then you mentioned that book and it clicked. thanx.
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

jcsuperstar wrote:from my readings of suttas which it appears that the Buddha spent a lot of time doing walking meditation, maybe it would be helpful to you if you followed in his footsteps :tongue: 555...
good idea :)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

zac wrote: gotcha. well i remember what's IN that book in general, some parts better than others and certainly enough that i don't feel the need to re-read the entire thing.
Hmm, perhaps I'm being too subtle here. What I was trying to gently imply was that a large percentage of the questions asked on this board are actually answered, at least in part, by the Suttas and notes contained in "In the Buddha's Words", and I find it very easy to appear to be moderately knowledgeable by merely consulting the table of contents... :reading:

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

mikenz66 wrote:
zac wrote: gotcha. well i remember what's IN that book in general, some parts better than others and certainly enough that i don't feel the need to re-read the entire thing.
Hmm, perhaps I'm being too subtle here. What I was trying to gently imply was that a large percentage of the questions asked on this board are actually answered, at least in part, by the Suttas and notes contained in "In the Buddha's Words", and I find it very easy to appear to be moderately knowledgeable by merely consulting the table of contents... :reading:

Mike
Mike, not only are you knowledgeable, but your suttamayapunna is well balanced with that wisdom that comes from practice.
Your contributions here are greatly valued.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

mikenz66 wrote:

Mike
cool, so i could do the same thing! good idea, thanx mike. :)