what types of meditation do you do?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
dhammastudier

Re: what types of meditation do you do?

Post by dhammastudier »

bodom wrote:I meditate on Buddho in conjunction with the breath and footsteps in meditation and as a Mantra in daily life.

Seeking Buddho - awakened awareness by
Tan Ajahn Anand Akincano
http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... Buddho.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dhamma Teachings of Looang Boo Sim Buddhacaro by Looang Boo Sim
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... plyso.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buddho by Phra Ajaan Thate Desaransi
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... uddho.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
oh yeah i know what your talking about. i read a little practice manual on that once. cool stuff! thanx.
EricJ

Post by EricJ »

As a beginner, I have been focusing on the samatha variant of anapanasati. I am not practicing a method which is associated with any particular teacher, but I have read various articles and gotten much advice from this wonderful forum, so I think I have the right idea. I decided to focus exclusively on samatha-oriented anapanasati because I believe that it is important for me to develop strong concentration (hopefully approaching sutta-style jhana) before I begin my insight practice. That said, I do try to be aware of anicca, anatta, and dukkha with respect to the sensations I experience in my daily life. I also try to cultivate mindfulness of my body and mind in daily life, in line with satipatthana practice.

In the future, once I have stabilized concentration, I am interested extending my practice to include vipassana and brahmavihara practices. I am also interested in the color/light kasinas, but I didn't think it wise to base my practice as a beginner on a kasina object.
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

EricJ wrote:As a beginner, I have been focusing on the samatha variant of anapanasati. I am not practicing a method which is associated with any particular teacher, but I have read various articles and gotten much advice from this wonderful forum, so I think I have the right idea. I decided to focus exclusively on samatha-oriented anapanasati because I believe that it is important for me to develop strong concentration (hopefully approaching sutta-style jhana) before I begin my insight practice. That said, I do try to be aware of anicca, anatta, and dukkha with respect to the sensations I experience in my daily life. I also try to cultivate mindfulness of my body and mind in daily life, in line with satipatthana practice.

In the future, once I have stabilized concentration, I am interested extending my practice to include vipassana and brahmavihara practices. I am also interested in the color/light kasinas, but I didn't think it wise to base my practice as a beginner on a kasina object.
interesting! sounds like you have a very full plate and a great adventure ahead of you! ironically for the non-buddhist world the word adventure would never apply to sitting quietly on the floor but i think it applies here considering how exciting it can be to feel the results of meditation and the purifying effect of practicing the precepts.
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

vipassana
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

oceanmen wrote:vipassana
great! thanx.
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Hello friend,

1st Metta;
2nd Samadhi;
3rd Vipassina.
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

Goedert wrote:Hello friend,

1st Metta;
2nd Samadhi;
3rd Vipassina.
cool so that's like your daily session?
shurangama

Post by shurangama »

Can mantra be used combined with breath awareness to achieve Jhana? I have tried using the technique of paying attention to the breath as it enters and leaves the nostrils. This has caused the feeling that my respiration has stopped, extending the time of my norman respiration four fold? Has anyone elese experienced this. I have found that focusing on the navel center (hara) brings more calm for me. Any thoughts
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i wouldn't worry too much about jhana but yes 1st jhana then the mantra needs to be dropped. buddho can be used. have you read ajahn Buddhadasa's book on anapanasati? it deals with the problem your facing

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/anapanasati.pdf
Last edited by jcsuperstar on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
nitthuracitta

Post by nitthuracitta »

anapanasati,maranasati and focus the mind on "what's dukkha?!!" :clap: :clap: :clap:
salmon

Post by salmon »

Depends on the state of my mind at the point in time. I usually try to maintain mindfulness throughout the day, as and when I remember to :tongue: ... however, when I do some formal sitting, I will use one of the below 2 strategies:-

- If I've had a rough day and my mind is abuzz, I'll do mainly "object" based meditation (eg. breath, bones, light, etc).
- If I've had a relatively relaxed day and the mind is calm, I'll do more "observation" based meditation (eg. mind states, rising & falling of conditions, etc).
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~