Observing the Breath Observing Phenomena

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Collective

Observing the Breath Observing Phenomena

Post by Collective »

Not so long ago, I mentioned how I had shifted my observation from the breath to observing just the mind. I think the former is more to do with Samatha and the latter Vipassana. I think.

Can the two be combined?

I ask because I was thinking about observing the breath, and if/when any phenomena arise (physical or mental), I could observe that. When it passes, as all things pass, I then go back to oberving the breath. This would be different for me because initially, when I first started meditating, I would observe the breath but 'ignore' any phenomena that arose. A case of 'stay with the breath at all costs'.

By doing it this way, I feel I am combining Samath and Vipassana.

If I think about it, the only real difference was when I used to observe 'just' the mind, when no thoughts were present, I'd be observing nothing. Now if there are no thoughts, I'm thinking I should be observing the breath.

This may seem like a very obvious way to do things, so forgive me if I am indeed just stating the obvious.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Spiny Norman

Re: Observing the Breath Observing Phenomena

Post by Spiny Norman »

Collective wrote:I ask because I was thinking about observing the breath, and if/when any phenomena arise (physical or mental), I could observe that. When it passes, as all things pass, I then go back to oberving the breath.
That's similar to the approach I've been taking. For samatha I focus on the breath and keep returning to it. For vipassana I use the breath as an "anchor" ( ie with less focus ) and broaden out awareness to observe generally, eg arising and ceasings in the mind. I use "samatha" and "vipassana" rather tentatively here because there seem to be different views of what these terms actually mean. :thinking:
In terms of the Satipatthana Sutta this would be starting with mindfulness of breathing and then "broadening out" to mindfulness of feeling, mind and mind objects. I think this approach is also consistent with the Anapanasati Sutta, but I need to look at that more closely. :smile:

P
Buddha save me from new-agers!
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I think using the breath as an anchor is good, if samadhi is not that well developed. However if a person can stay with the breath with only a few disturbances within an hour (ie-the five hindrances well controlled) then it maybe even better to drop the anchor and simply note arising phenomena. This is because the sense of an 'anchor' may be seen as a permanent fixture and get in the way unconsciously of seeing everything is impermanent through and through. Better to be lost in the fleeting nature of phenomena to get its full impact -because our delusions of permanency are buried deeply in the mind aren't easily shifted.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

The way you've described is how breath meditation generally taught, unless there is a specific objective to cultivate samatha.

However when you observe the mind there is a lot more than just thoughts, there is never nothing, if you are just noticing thoughts then probably you aren't ready to make the mind your primary object.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Collective

Post by Collective »

Goofaholix wrote:The way you've described is how breath meditation generally taught, unless there is a specific objective to cultivate samatha.

However when you observe the mind there is a lot more than just thoughts, there is never nothing, if you are just noticing thoughts then probably you aren't ready to make the mind your primary object.
Good point.

Thinking about it, when I observe the mind I also encounter mental images, and certain emotions too. Not sure there's anything else to experience, but I wouldn't know anyway.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

rowyourboat wrote:I think using the breath as an anchor is good, if samadhi is not that well developed. However if a person can stay with the breath with only a few disturbances within an hour (ie-the five hindrances well controlled) then it maybe even better to drop the anchor and simply note arising phenomena. This is because the sense of an 'anchor' may be seen as a permanent fixture and get in the way unconsciously of seeing everything is impermanent through and through. Better to be lost in the fleeting nature of phenomena to get its full impact -because our delusions of permanency are buried deeply in the mind aren't easily shifted.
I'm sure you're right, and I probably need to work more on samadhi myself. :smile:
In practice I notice that awareness of the breath naturally fades as I open up to the messiness of the mind. :rolleye:

P
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Goofaholix wrote:However when you observe the mind there is a lot more than just thoughts, there is never nothing...
I agree, there always seems to be something. :smile:

P