Poll: Your sleep duration

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

How many hours do you usually sleep per night?

12 or more
1%
3%
3%
18%
21%
24%
25%
3%
4 or less
1%

Total votes: 67

Upasaka Sumana

Poll: Your sleep duration

Postby Upasaka Sumana » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:23 pm

How many hours do you usually sleep per night?
Do not think lightly of evil, saying, "It will not come to me." A drop at a time is the water pot filled. Likewise, the fool, gathering it little by little, fills himself with evil.
Do not think lightly of good, saying, "It will not come to me." A drop at a time is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good.

—Gotama Buddha, Dhammapada 121-122

Annapurna

Re: Poll: Your sleep duration

Postby Annapurna » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Mostly only 6. I feel a lot better when I sleep 7.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:26 pm

well it is not 5, nor really 4 or less, as it is 4h and 30 min
it can get down to 4 hours but I'm not steady in it yet.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

Wind

Postby Wind » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:54 am

My sleeping varies greatly each night. I sleep 2-3 hrs on two nights, 5-7 hrs on 2 other nights, and 10-12 hrs on my days off.

So it would be misleading if I gave you the average hours, it doesn't really reflect my sleeping habits.

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:17 am

Last night about 2.

Kevin

sainbhruvens

Postby sainbhruvens » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:26 am

Most probably I take 9 hour sleep. when I travel I sleep 6 hours only.

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Usually 5 or 6, sometimes a little more.

Mostly I go to bed at 01:00 AM and get up between 06:00 AM and 07:00 AM.
With Metta

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:03 pm

I try to sleep at least eight hours each night. Sometimes that winds up being seven or so. Six hours or less, and I feel much weaker throughout my day. Earlier this summer, when school first let out, I was sleeping ten to twelve hours every night, but I got tired of wasting half of my day sleeping. And I've become much more focused on Dhamma practice, and I know the Buddha discouraged excessive indulgence in sleep.
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:11 pm

i think i got 2 last night... I'll be up studying for a final tonight so who knows what today hold either, I'd just sleep now but i told my mother I'd pick her up and eat dinner with her in an hour or so. :coffee:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

cooran

Postby cooran » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:52 am

Usually between 6 and7 hours with the very occasional 9 hours
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:31 am

When I was doing my PhD I slept about 6 hours per night, but now I'm doing a very physical job at stupid hours so I tend to sleep much longer now, maybe 9 or more hours.

I'm rather hoping when I begin teacher training my sleep duration will diminish again.

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Lately, I have been having difficulty getting to sleep. The other night I slept six hours, four hours the night before last, and last night I couldn't sleep at all. I know correlation does not mean causation, but can anyone comment on whether or not meditation practice (specifically, anapanasati for 45 minutes 2-3 times a day) can cause sleep difficulties? I don't feel as bad as I normally feel when sleep deprived.

Regards,
Eric
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:52 pm

I average six.

Return to “Wellness, Diet & Fitness”