Big Mind Big Heart

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Marge

Big Mind Big Heart

Post by Marge »

I need to have compassion and equanimity for someone that makes pain arise in my heart each time I hear their voice or see them. They may drop by tomorrow, and I have been anxious for the last couple of days. I will need to be so very mindful. I need to take responsibility for myself, as annica said. No crying, no anger, no anything, just the way it is now. Aware. Big Mind, Big Heart.

Nothing to fear. :yingyang:
Mukunda

Re: Big Mind Big Heart

Post by Mukunda »

Marge wrote:I need to have compassion and equanimity for someone that makes pain arise in my heart each time I hear their voice or see them. They may drop by tomorrow, and I have been anxious for the last couple of days. I will need to be so very mindful. I need to take responsibility for myself, as annica said. No crying, no anger, no anything, just the way it is now. Aware. Big Mind, Big Heart.
We practice compassion and equanimity (as well as metta) toward ourselves, prior to extending it to others.
Marge

Post by Marge »

This is true. Thank you for reminding me.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I think it was the Dalai Lama who said:

If there is nothing you can change about a situation, don't worry.
If you can change something about a situation, don't worry.

Hope it goes well for you.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Marge wrote:I need to have compassion and equanimity for someone that makes pain arise in my heart each time I hear their voice or see them. They may drop by tomorrow, and I have been anxious for the last couple of days. I will need to be so very mindful. I need to take responsibility for myself, as annica said. No crying, no anger, no anything, just the way it is now. Aware. Big Mind, Big Heart.

Nothing to fear. :yingyang:
Dont deny the pain and fear Marge. Dont wish it away or paste slogans over it. Crying and anger may arise. Be aware of it. Watch it arise, eventually watch it pass. No attraction to it, but NO AVERSION...all things arise and pass. Big breaths. Big inhalations , smooth exhalations. There is no Big Mind or Heart. Just the breath and all that arises.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Are you referring to the Dalai Lama quote as a slogan?
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

No Anna , I was referring to Big Mind Big Heart.
The point I was trying to make though is not to label uncomfortable mind states as " bad ". They can actually be a source of great impetus if followed back to their source. They are no more and no less real than " positive " thoughts. In short metta should not be an attempt to repress. It should go hand in hand with awareness of what is.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Oh, ok. Thank you.... :smile: