according to the pali canon, what happens after you die?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
kc2dpt

Re: according to the pali canon, what happens after you die?

Post by kc2dpt »

Annapurna wrote:ok. So why wasn't that said from the start[?]
Wasn't it said in the second post?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ben

Post by Ben »

MODERATOR NOTE

Any further off-topic posts, posts which do not conform to the guidelines of the Classical Theravada Forum and meta-discussions will be removed without warning. Repeat offenses may attract disciplinary action.
Please get back on topic, ladies and gentlemen.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Rebirth takes place immediately, irrespective of the place of birth, just as an electromagnetic wave, projected into space, is immediately reproduced in a receiving radio set. Rebirth of the mental flux is also instantaneous and leaves no room whatever for any intermediate state [7] (antarabhava). Pure Buddhism does not support the belief that a spirit of the deceased person takes lodgement in some temporary state until it finds a suitable place for its "reincarnation."
This should sum it up then. :buddha1:

(From post 2)
smokey

Post by smokey »

This is to be done by one skilled in aims who wants to break through to the state of peace: Be capable, upright, & straightforward, easy to instruct, gentle, & not conceited, content & easy to support, with few duties, living lightly, with peaceful faculties, masterful, modest, & no greed for supporters. Do not do the slightest thing that the wise would later censure. Think: Happy, at rest, may all beings be happy at heart. Whatever beings there may be, weak or strong, without exception, long, large, middling, short, subtle, blatant, seen & unseen, near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart. Let no one deceive another or despise anyone anywhere, or through anger or irritation wish for another to suffer. As a mother would risk her life to protect her child, her only child, even so should one cultivate a limitless heart with regard to all beings. With good will for the entire cosmos, cultivate a limitless heart: Above, below, & all around, unobstructed, without enmity or hate. Whether standing, walking, sitting, or lying down, as long as one is alert, one should be resolved on this mindfulness. This is called a sublime abiding here & now. Not taken with views, but virtuous & consummate in vision, having subdued desire for sensual pleasures, one never again will lie in the womb.
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

smokey wrote:born & seeking birth
Interesing quote, smokey. You've managed to make everybody silent on this subject. 8-)

This are the translations available at http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Born & seeking birth" (Thanissaro)
"Existing or yet seeking to exist" (Ñanamoli Thera)
"Those born and to-be-born" (The Amaravati Sangha)
"The born and those seeking birth" (Acharya Buddharakkhita)
"Those who are born as well as those yet to be born" (Piyadassi Thera)
vishy89

Post by vishy89 »

My understanding is:

Nama continues from life to life. Rupa is left here.
The one who is reborn is neither the same nor different than the one who dies(remember 'seal', echo similie).This is supported by anatta doctrine.
The Buddha recounting his previous lives is vovaharica sacca.
I welcome your views on the above points.
May I know what are the contents of Patisandhi chitta as per Dhammasangini/Abhidhamma?

Metta
plwk

Post by plwk »

did the buddha ever say what the process was between the moment of death and the moment of birth?
Kutuhalasala Sutta
I designate the rebirth of one who has sustenance, Vaccha, and not of one without sustenance.
Just as a fire burns with sustenance and not without sustenance, even so I designate the rebirth of one who has sustenance and not of one without sustenance."

"But, Master Gotama, at the moment a flame is being swept on by the wind and goes a far distance, what do you designate as its sustenance then?"
"Vaccha, when a flame is being swept on by the wind and goes a far distance, I designate it as wind-sustained, for the wind is its sustenance at that time."

"And at the moment when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, what do you designate as its sustenance then?"
"Vaccha, when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time."
:smile:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

vishy89 wrote:My understanding is:

Nama continues from life to life. Rupa is left here.

Metta
Rupa is not left here. Rupa dissolves almost as quickly as it appears. The idea of a "body" is panatti, a conceptual understanding experienced only by nama. Each individual rupa arises and falls away extremely quickly. They are all anatta. Even after the death of the body, there are still conditions for certain new rupa to arise within it.

I hope this helps.

Kevin