time of day for meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

time for meditation

morning
19%
mid day
4%
evening
19%
both morning and evening
27%
whenever I can!
31%

Total votes: 26

jcsuperstar

time of day for meditation

Post by jcsuperstar »

what time of day do you meditate?
is this just for lack of another time or have you found this specific time more helpful in your meditation.
please share :anjali:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
retrofuturist

Re: time of day for meditation

Post by retrofuturist »

My preference if on retreat is the pre-lunch session.

In daily practice, lunchtime is the best time... during my lunch break.

(So in the poll I picked mid-day)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

I voted morning. I sit for an hour everyday before work because I have my daughter all day after I get off while my wife works. Plus I find mindfulness easier to carry over into my daily life after morning sessions.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

I may meditate any time in the day, except immediately after meals.

But my favourite times are early in the morning - because then most of the time everybody is sleeping and I feel like the world is mine because I (often) can't get disturbed by the noise outside - and after the breakfast because then my concentration is very powerful.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Refugee

Post by Refugee »

I prefer to meditate in the mornings because that is when I can concentrate best. I am retired, so I take my breakfast and wait for my children to go off to work before I sit. :smile:
My practice is simply this: Avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind.
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Huh, lotta morning people here.

I am definitely a night meditator. I am very much not a morning person, my mind takes some time to get going, and until it does meditation becomes wandering in thought half, or more, asleep. The night is quieter and cooler anyway, it's easier to concentrate and be productive. Daytime is okay too, but night is the best.
Hoo

Post by Hoo »

I try to do both morning and evening most of the time, so that's what I marked. At times, I focus more on never leaving mindfulness throughout the day but it's still a work in progress :)
Tex

Post by Tex »

I sit every single morning, so that's what I voted for. When I'm able, I'll meditate a second time in the afternoon or evening, usually on the weekends, but morning meditations are built into the daily routine and never skipped.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
EricJ

Post by EricJ »

Lately, I sit three sessions: one in the morning after I wake and brush my teeth, one in the mid to late afternoon, and one in the evening or late at night. Sometimes, I throw in an extra session or two in the afternoon and evening. I find that the afternoon approaching dusk is the time that is most conducive to meditation for me. In general, I have an affinity for that time of day because everything seems more calm and the light is very nice and conducive to concentration. :)

Regards,
Eric
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Mostly mindfulness of the mind and some dhamanupassana on the train as this is the only time I have and I have a 1.5 hour commute. I used to be good in the evenings. Never good on a morning- too much sleepiness and my mind doesnt seem to settle for some reason. I wonder if my 'time' has changed over the years though.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Ben

Post by Ben »

One hour in the morning (pre-dawn) and in the evening(usually after 9PM) for another hour.
Its difficult to maintain the commitment but very worthwhile.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
EricJ

Post by EricJ »

rowyourboat wrote:Never good on a morning- too much sleepiness and my mind doesnt seem to settle for some reason.
I feel precisely the same way in the mornings. I've become less sleepy whenever I meditate, but I still find it hard to concentrate my mind single-pointedly. Nevertheless, meditating in the morning sets off the day for me, commits me to my meditation routine for the day; and any time on the cushion is worthwhile.

Regards,
Eric
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

Most days I do two meditation sessions. In the morning I do metta, and in the evening mindfulness of the breath. Mornings can be a bit more of a challenge, as my partner and pets (including parrots) may be up and active, but most evenings it's pretty quiet.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I've always had an easier time with evening, but then tried switching to the morning as it seemed more flexible and quieter. It is not working out. So I think 10pm until bed at 11:30 or midnight is going to be my sitting time, while I will still do a half hour walking in the morning. I'll see if that works for me or not.