Focused & Fearless

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Collective

Focused & Fearless

Post by Collective »

Would someone be so kind as to give me some background on this book: Focused & Fearless

I'm practicing Vipassana, is this book recommended?

Thanks all
Moggalana

Re: Focused & Fearless

Post by Moggalana »

This book is about the cultivation of jhanas and how to use the power of deep samadhi to gain insight. It is really good. But if you are taking a (dry) vipassana approach, it might not be the best book for you. I do not know what your practice is, but there comes a point when it's best to stick with one practice for a while and see where that gets you.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Collective

Post by Collective »

Moggalana wrote:This book is about the cultivation of jhanas and how to use the power of deep samadhi to gain insight. It is really good. But if you are taking a (dry) vipassana approach, it might not be the best book for you. I do not know what your practice is, but there comes a point when it's best to stick with one practice for a while and see where that gets you.
I'm re-reading Mindfulness in Plain English.

It's to do with vipassana so I think I'd best stick to that one

Thanks again :)
Srotapanna

Post by Srotapanna »

A book review:

http://gobeyondwords.wordpress.com/2009 ... o-bhikkhu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodom

Post by bodom »

Collective wrote:
Moggalana wrote:This book is about the cultivation of jhanas and how to use the power of deep samadhi to gain insight. It is really good. But if you are taking a (dry) vipassana approach, it might not be the best book for you. I do not know what your practice is, but there comes a point when it's best to stick with one practice for a while and see where that gets you.

Have you read Bhante G's Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English?

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Collective

Post by Collective »

bodom wrote:
Collective wrote:

Have you read Bhante G's Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English?

:anjali:
Can't say I have. That's on my 'to do' list now.

Thank you