Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree: Buddha's Teaching on Voidness

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Hoo
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree: Buddha's Teaching on Voidness

Postby Hoo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Any opinions on this booK by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu? I've started it twice and set it down once. Mostly I'm looking for whether those who have read it found it a good representation or substantially missing something. Are there better treatments of sunnata in the Theravada view?

Hoo

bodom
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree: Buddha's Teaching on Voidness

Postby bodom » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Hoo wrote:Any opinions on this booK by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu? I've started it twice and set it down once. Mostly I'm looking for whether those who have read it found it a good representation or substantially missing something. Are there better treatments of sunnata in the Theravada view?

Hoo

I have read it half a dozen times. Never put it down once. I enjoyed it thoroughly and get something new out of it everytime I read it.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:03 pm

some of us love ajahn Buddhadasa others seem to really dislike him. you just have to read him and make up your own mind. he's a controversial figure.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

clw_uk
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:some of us love ajahn Buddhadasa others seem to really dislike him. you just have to read him and make up your own mind. he's a controversial figure.

Agree with the above

His works really helped me to see/understand the Dhamma more deeply and I practice more in line with his POV, as well as Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho

If his work helps you toward the abandonment of Dukkha then I say follow it

metta
“The Great Way is not difficult for those who have no preferences. When love and hate are both absent, everything becomes clear and undisguised." Verses on the Faith Mind, Sengcan

mikenz66
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:17 pm

I thought it was great. Particularly the instruction of how to prepare for death.

Mike

Hoo

Postby Hoo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm down to the home stretch on it now :)

Hoo

randall

Re: Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree: Buddha's Teaching on Voidne

Postby randall » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:12 pm

hello,
for anyone interested, Wisdom publications is reprinting Ajhans book which is due out April 18th.

http://www.amazon.com/Heartwood-Bodhi-T ... 474&sr=1-1
"Bhikkhus, possessing five factors, speech is well spoken, not badly spoken; it is blameless and beyond reproach by the wise. What five? It is spoken at the proper time; what is said is true; it is spoken gently; what is said is beneficial; it is spoken with a mind of loving-kindness. Possessing these five factors, speech is well spoken, not badly spoken; it is blameless and beyond reproach by the wise."
AN 5 198

Ananda26

Re: Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree: Buddha's Teaching on Voidne

Postby Ananda26 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Hoo wrote:Any opinions on this booK by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu? I've started it twice and set it down once. Mostly I'm looking for whether those who have read it found it a good representation or substantially missing something. Are there better treatments of sunnata in the Theravada view?

Hoo

Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha 121 and 122. Shorter Discourse on Voidness and the Great Discourse on Voidness.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”