YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Reliability of Mahāvihāra Commentaries?... Right View - Dhamma Wheel

Reliability of Mahāvihāra Commentaries?... Right View

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Nyana

Reliability of Mahāvihāra Commentaries?... Right View

Postby Nyana » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:34 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Reliability of Mahāvihāra Commentaries?... Right View

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:05 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:25 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:33 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:36 am

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:21 pm

Prof Y Karunadasa's new book should be published soon, within a couple of months. He has polished his understanding of the Abhidhamma and Mahavihara commentaries over the years, and the newest version will include more context for their teachings, ie. with respect to the teachings of other Buddhist systems, and the Abhidhamma / Abhidharma movement as a whole (not just that found presently in Pali).
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:46 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:20 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:29 pm

On sabhāva:

This is my understanding of it: Different phenomena have different induvidial characteristics. Otherwise how can you distinguish lets say (lobha) vs dislike (dosa)? They each have their own unique characteristic, unique nature (sa bhāva). While an idea of "a unicorn" has different level of truth, than idea of "this horse", they both have one thing in common. They depend on mind to express the idea. Recognition of "unicorn, horse, etc" is sanna, a trully existing momentary reality.

The issue of lets say momentariness is implied in the suttas:
Ex: The Bahiya going from good worldling to an Arahant within seconds. To me this implies that 4 paths and 4 fruits can be momentary.

The case of suicide monks (Channa, Vakkali, Godhika). If it is true that an aryan cannot commit suicide, then they would have to go through 4 paths and 4 fruits in a matter of seconds (or even a split second) after they cut their juggular vein.

In AN book of 1s there are many quotes that factors of N8P and 37 factors of awakening can last as long as a fingersnap.

IMHO,

With metta,

Alex
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:12 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:26 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:47 am

alan

Postby alan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:21 am

Dhammapada is a beautiful work of poetry. But there are so many translations; it is hard to get a hold of a solid meaning.
The book I have here by Thanissaro says "Phenomena are preceded by the heart, ruled by the heart, made of the heart."

What is your take?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:25 am

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:37 am

I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

alan

Postby alan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:02 am

Thanks Retro. I've read a few translations and none have seemed to live up to the high regard so many hold of Dhammapada.

I agree it is useful to just keep some key words untranslated. But "dhamma" has so many meanings, relative to the context.

I'd like to enjoy Dhammapada as a teaching. It has struck me as poetic in the fact that so much of it seems to lean toward creating an emotional response. Not that there is anything wrong with that--I'm just wondering if it carries the same weight of authority as the Suttas.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:19 am

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 am

Last edited by Nyana on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”