From little things big things grow...

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
christopher:::

Re: From little things big things grow...

Post by christopher::: »

May the Dhamma Wheel live long and prosper!!

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Tex

Post by Tex »

250th member joined today, 20 days after #200.

There are 305 days left in the year -- if we continue to add another 50 members per 20 days we'll have over 1000 members by the end of the year!!!

:clap:

:toast:
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Ben

Post by Ben »

May Dhamma Wheel continue to grow!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

10,000 posts any moment now! It will probably happen during my sleep time, so thought I would announce it now. ;)

I'm in the pacific time zone of the U.S. and will be heading to :zzz: in a few hours. I'll bet it will be one of our many members from down under, to make the 10,000th post. :popcorn: :toast:

:buddha1:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Googled "a buddhist forum" and this is what showed up. Dhamma Wheel is #5, right underneath Buddha Chat and E-Sangha.

Ben

Post by Ben »

That is indeed heartening!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Yeshe

Post by Yeshe »

TheDhamma wrote:Googled "a buddhist forum" and this is what showed up. Dhamma Wheel is #5, right underneath Buddha Chat and E-Sangha.

That counts as number 4 then, as Buddhachat has been closed by the site owner! ;)

Other new sites have popped up but aside from this forum and Zen Forum International, membership is still very small .;)
Zack

Post by Zack »

To all those responsible, Thank You.
I am of nature to decay, I have not gone beyond decay.
I am of the nature to be diseased, I have not gone beyond disease.
I am of the nature to die, I have not done beyond death.
All that is mine, dear and delightful, will change and vanish.
I am the owner of my kamma, heir to my kamma, born of my kamma, related to
my kamma, abide supported by my kamma. Whatever kamma I shall do,
whether good or evil, of that I shall be the heir.
Thus we should frequently recollect.
- Upajjhatthana Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya v.57
retrofuturist

400 members!

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

400 members today!

:hello:

This is a special milestone for me, because we're at the point now where Dhamma Wheel has become established in its own right, and not just "the place where the Theravadins from E-Sangha went" at the start of the year. Most new members now I do not recognise from other forums and it is wonderful to have these "new faces" joining us at Dhamma Wheel to discuss Theravada Buddhism.

I hope your Dhamma Wheel experience has been rewarding so far, and don't hesitate to drop us a note in the Suggestion Box if there's things you think can be done better. We're always open to new suggestions.

Many thanks to you all.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Re: 400 members!

Post by Cittasanto »

I was the first non-e-sangha member :)
lol
but on a new toolbar I have it shows the ranking of the site I am on according to Alexa.

769989 is the rank there!

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

400 members today!

:hello:

This is a special milestone for me, because we're at the point now where Dhamma Wheel has become established in its own right, and not just "the place where the Theravadins from E-Sangha went" at the start of the year. Most new members now I do not recognise from other forums and it is wonderful to have these "new faces" joining us at Dhamma Wheel to discuss Theravada Buddhism.

I hope your Dhamma Wheel experience has been rewarding so far, and don't hesitate to drop us a note in the Suggestion Box if there's things you think can be done better. We're always open to new suggestions.

Many thanks to you all.

Metta,
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Indeed, its a great achievement!
Thanks to everyone for making Dhamma Wheel such a great place to discuss the Dhamma!
Metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Row Your Boat made the 20,000th post today!

See: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 330#p20330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Ben wrote:Indeed, its a great achievement!
Thanks to everyone for making Dhamma Wheel such a great place to discuss the Dhamma!
Metta

Ben
Ben, we owe you a thanks. Thanks for all you do here :anjali:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

TheDhamma wrote:Row Your Boat made the 20,000th post today!

See: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 330#p20330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wasn;t it only a few weeks ago it was hitting 10,000 posts?

Sheesh how the time flies
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

40,000 today!

Thanks everyone for your wonderful contributions and thereby making Dhamma Wheel a wonderful place to discuss the Dhamma and be inspired to further one's pursuit of the Noble Eightfold Path.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."