i was being killed.....

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
lppaefans

i was being killed.....

Post by lppaefans »

"i wishes to share my pain to all...."

" i was being caught. i was then being tied up with ropes over me.":(
"i cant moved at all..":( :(
"They put with my peers, who was being tied up too, in a fish tank....":(
" We waited and waited..we do not know what is going to happen to us..":(
" We are feared, but we cant do anythings...":( :(
" Then a man caught me from the tank, i hope he can release me....":rolleyes:
" He put me on a board and start to untie me...":rolleyes:
" i see my peers were BEING CHOPPED!!!":eek: :eek:
" I tried to run, i cant!!":( :(
" i cried....i struggled....But the man overpower me..":( :(
"he helded me and he chopped me with a chopper!!!":eek: :eek:
" I was in great pain......i cried loudly....":( :(
" I was dead....with pain..." the man washed my chopped body, he cooked me with chillies..":( :(
"My body was being served on the table...":(
" People ate my fresh...":( :(
" those people eat my fresh did not see how i was being bullied and being chopped....i have great pain...i missed my family members too":( :(
"After all the enjoyment, my left over body were being threw at a side..":(
" i was dead due to people enjoyment....":( :(
" who am i ? i was a Sri lankan Crab...":( :(
See below...

being tied up in tanks..:( :( :(

i was served on table with my chopped boday with chillies..:( :(

my left over body...i was dead...:( :( :(

All,
the above is i make up feeling to a poor crab being served on the table last two weeks. :( :(

Last two weeks, my relative treated us a dinner at a famous Crab restaurant.
I seen the poor crabs were being killed cos of human desire in their taste...
I have seen that particulars restaurant were with long human queeue wating to eat live crabs and everytable were served with different types of cooking crabs.....many lifes were being taken then...:( :(

my feels is: Is the restaurant owner has to bear the bad karma, or the cook, who do the killing OR the customer, NO demand no supply....:( :(

Frankly, i am a man who loves to eat crabs but i have not eaten for sometime cos i see my enjoyment, they die...:( :(

So human, have a thoughts to them har...:( :(

hai....:( :(

amitaba buddha
Jechbi

Re: i was being killed.....

Post by Jechbi »

I appreciate your sentiments, but I don't think it's exactly accurate to anthropomorphize a crab like this. I doubt very much that a crab will miss its family, for example.

But I could be wrong ...

Pass the salad.

:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Actually I read a masterpiece of contemporary literature, where a interesting process was described.

A journalist suddenly found himself in the body of a cow, at the slaughterhouse.

Tried to tell the human beings that he was journalist XY, who originally wanted to write an article about the modern methods here....

But all he brought forth was a rough and deep : "Moo-oooooo!!!"

When he didn't want to trot along with the other cows, he got kicked and beaten, and tried to run away, but marched with the rest, still trying to tell those guys it was a horrible mistke...somehow tell them...."mooo--ooo---ooooo....."

To no avail.

The rest of the story was eerie and chilling. He got slaughtered.

I could never again look at meat or cattle the way I did before-

It had a highly enlightening effect upon me.

So thanks for showing us the whole thing from another, drastic perspective, that is perhaps a bit uncomfortable. But a reality.

So often, on this planet, one being gets a real kick out of something, while the other one is in agony because of that.

Ever thought about it, that a rapists-killer gets off, while his victim is in great pain and dying?

Same with an oyster eaten alive, -the bizzarre contrast between suffering and pleasure.
lppaefans

Post by lppaefans »

Jechbi wrote:I appreciate your sentiments, but I don't think it's exactly accurate to anthropomorphize a crab like this. I doubt very much that a crab will miss its family, for example.

But I could be wrong ...

Pass the salad.

:smile:

thanks for your reply...

will the crabs miss the family or not, i am not sure but i am sure it has fear before being killed...see how it struggle for life...

i believe in aminals realms, they do have kindship like us but might be so strong like human..

i ever seen a dead bird on the floor and another live birds were keeping flying bedise the dead ones..i see kindship there.

sadhu sadhu sadhu.. :namaste: :namaste: :namaste:
lppaefans

Post by lppaefans »

Annabel wrote:Actually I read a masterpiece of contemporary literature, where a interesting process was described.

A journalist suddenly found himself in the body of a cow, at the slaughterhouse.

Tried to tell the human beings that he was journalist XY, who originally wanted to write an article about the modern methods here....

But all he brought forth was a rough and deep : "Moo-oooooo!!!"

When he didn't want to trot along with the other cows, he got kicked and beaten, and tried to run away, but marched with the rest, still trying to tell those guys it was a horrible mistke...somehow tell them...."mooo--ooo---ooooo....."

To no avail.

The rest of the story was eerie and chilling. He got slaughtered.

I could never again look at meat or cattle the way I did before-

It had a highly enlightening effect upon me.

So thanks for showing us the whole thing from another, drastic perspective, that is perhaps a bit uncomfortable. But a reality.

So often, on this planet, one being gets a real kick out of something, while the other one is in agony because of that.

Ever thought about it, that a rapists-killer gets off, while his victim is in great pain and dying?

Same with an oyster eaten alive, -the bizzarre contrast between suffering and pleasure.
thanks for sharing...try putting our self in the shoes always..have compassion.
well quoted above. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Individual

Post by Individual »

lppaefans wrote: " People ate my fresh...":( :(
" those people eat my fresh did not see how i was being bullied and being chopped....i have great pain...i missed my family members too":( :(
My fresh! Hirarious!! :lol:
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Post by Individual »

Annabel wrote:Actually I read a masterpiece of contemporary literature, where a interesting process was described.

Scientists are uncertain about whether lobsters feel pain. Some studies suggest it, some don't. So, I'm a bit ambivalent about it.

One time, on the streets of D.C., a follower of the cult, Self-Realization Fellowship, handed me a pamphlet with a psychadelic-looking drawing on it... It was a picture of a man's body with a cow's head decapitating a cow with a man's head (and the man's head was screaming). It was definitely very creepy and it examplifies the bizarreness with which some vegetarians, like the militants at PETA, like to push their views on others.

The Diamond Sutra
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Individual wrote:

Scientists are uncertain about whether lobsters feel pain. Some studies suggest it, some don't. So, I'm a bit ambivalent about it.

One time, on the streets of D.C., a follower of the cult, Self-Realization Fellowship, handed me a pamphlet with a psychadelic-looking drawing on it... It was a picture of a man's body with a cow's head decapitating a cow with a man's head (and the man's head was screaming). It was definitely very creepy and it examplifies the bizarreness with which some vegetarians, like the militants at PETA, like to push their views on others.
Um....I think the speculations of scientists are less relevant here for us than Buddhist teachings, don't you think?

First precept... sentient being....avoid possible suffering....

"Sentient" means they feel, they have a nervous system, and if you've ever seen, how they desperately struggle to get out of the hot water, as soon as they're in, and how they have to stop struggling, because their muscles and joints are getting cooked and become stiff, if you ever imagined how you would feel, hm...don't know about you, but I don't eat lobsters anymore.

How deep is our all compassion?
Some actions may cause repulsion, but often they wake up somebody who is sound asleep.

And some people don't wake up by softly knocking on their bedroom door. They'd overhear it...and wouldn't youcall out to somebody asleep in a burning house?

Also the Buddha became more drastic sometimes.

I read that only the other day. Can't remember where.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Individual wrote:
lppaefans wrote: " People ate my fresh...":( :(
My fresh! Hirarious!! :lol:
I was just trying to imagine, how you and I would stagger around in Singapore, trying to order meat.... :jumping:

I can't speak Chinese, Malayish or Tamilish as well as the OP speaks English....actually not a single word, -can you?

Gosh, we'd be totally lost! :rofl:

Perhaps s/he would have mercy and help us out? So that we don't order shoe cream when we want a bowl of soup? :lol:
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

english is the language in singapore... i think it was just a typo
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a multitude of languages spoken in Singapore that reflect its multi-racial, multi-cultural and multi-lingual society.

The Singapore government recognises four official languages: English, Malay, Mandarin, and Tamil. The national language is Malay, while English is mainly used as the business and working language. The colloquial patois spoken on the streets is a creole called Singlish amongst the locals, but is also known amongst academics in linguistics as Singapore Colloquial English.

Obviously, the OP is no Native speaker of English.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Annabel wrote: Um....I think the speculations of scientists are less relevant here for us than Buddhist teachings, don't you think?
No, because science and Buddhism do not contradict. They simply approach the truth in different ways, for different reasons. Scientists conduct experiments and record evidence, in order to examine reality empirically, for the sake of knowledge, while Buddhists examine reality empirically and intuitively, for the sake of the cessation of suffering. It would be best if scientists had a firm grounding in Buddhism, to strengthen the insight with which they approach and interpret their research. However, if scientists discover something, Buddhists can't simply ignore it because it contradicts their theology.
Annabel wrote: First precept... sentient being....avoid possible suffering....

"Sentient" means they feel, they have a nervous system, and if you've ever seen, how they desperately struggle to get out of the hot water, as soon as they're in, and how they have to stop struggling, because their muscles and joints are getting cooked and become stiff, if you ever imagined how you would feel, hm...don't know about you, but I don't eat lobsters anymore.
And we don't know whether lobsters, small insects, etc., have "feelings," in the sense of pleasure and pain, so we don't know if they are sentient beings. Remember that all life originated from tiny cellular organisms and one day, we will likely create artificial intelligence, artificial life. And if you put microscopic organisms or robots in boiling water, they can react, but this doesn't imply sentience. If we make a distinction between sentient and non-sentient, there is a blurry line, a grey area, where it is not so clear.

The Diamond Sutra
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Some people see parallels between lobsters and themselves. They see lobsters reacting abruptly and apparently with extreme urgency when being boiled. Some other people think this is misplaced empathy and there is no reason to feel remorse for being involved in such an act. Having experienced both of these kind of people I choose not to eat Lobster out of concern for the possibility that the lobster is being put through physical and emotional pain. Even though I have not in the past when I ate lobster felt much concern for them. Initially I became sensitive to the concerns of other more sensitive people. Even if the lobster doesn't feel pain I doubt any amount of scientific verification will stop such sensitive people from becoming concerned for the welfare of lobsters. I am grateful for such people. While they might be a pain sometimes when our comfort levels are challenged in regard to expanding our ethical sensibilities they help us see our attachments and aversions which our lack of sensitivity might be missing.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Metta

Gabriel
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Individual wrote: No, because science and Buddhism do not contradict.
Scientists who speculate cannot contradict or confirm Buddhism because they clearly have no solid ground to argue from. Assumptions and speculation are just that: " not knowing", while Buddhists know that animals are sentient beings, according to the Buddhadhamma.
And we don't know whether lobsters, small insects, etc., .....are sentient beings.
Lobsters and small insects are clearly animals, and the animal kingdom is sentient, according to Buddha.
And if you put microscopic organisms... in boiling water, they can react, but this doesn't imply sentience.
Microscopic things, if bacterias, are not sentient beings.

Little water critters in it, like for instance amoebas, are, but we can't see them and probably don't boil water to kill water critters, so we don't break the 1. precept.
Last edited by Annapurna on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Annabel wrote:
Individual wrote: And we don't know whether lobsters, small insects, etc., .....are sentient beings.
This is adhamma. Lobsters and small insctxts belong to the animal kingdom and the animal kingdom is sentient, according to Buddha.
"Noble Right View," isn't to be understood as particular views, much less particular metaphysics or ontology. I'm aware of the Buddha's classification of the six realms, but we know from evolution that humans themselves are animals, and where did the say that lobsters exist in the animal kingdom?
Annabel wrote:
And if you put microscopic organisms... in boiling water, they can react, but this doesn't imply sentience.
Microscopic organisms, if bacterias, are not sentient beings. That's why we can take antibiotics without violating the first precept.

However, if we boil water with little water critters like for instance amoebas, which we can't see, and have no intention of killing, then the 1. precept is not broken.
You're repeating yourself without justifying it with discernment, or even citing suttas. How do you know that a lobster feels pain, but an amoeba does not? How do you know that a "lobster" should be regarded as a "tiracchàna" (animal) in such a way so as to exclude humans and amoebas both? Did the Buddha himself ever give a comprehensive list of all the classes of beings of all the realms?

The Diamond Sutra