Can you identify this object?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
adeh

Re: Can you identify this object?

Post by adeh »

1099373_golden_art.jpg
1099373_golden_art.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Laos temple art
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

That picture above with the grey background is from the FWBO's London Buddhist Centre in Bethnal Green.

I should know, because I took the picture! :lol:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Hehe, too funny! So how did I come across this picture? :rofl:
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Monkey Mind,
Monkey Mind wrote:Hehe, too funny! So how did I come across this picture? :rofl:
Hehehe... I don't know. I probably posted it in an online discussion at some point. It was taken in October 2007. I may have specifically been talking about my trip to the London Buddhist Vihara or it may have had something to do with something else.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Yup thats an authentic London- in- October sky Retro...The big BuddhaRupa with western features at Bethnal Green is very impressive I think.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

fwborupa.JPG
fwborupa.JPG (53.37 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
Indeed... larger than life.

Metta,
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Thats the one.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Yeah, I didn't know if it was bad form or not to take a photo in the shrine room, but I did it anyway (respectfully, of course)

:buddha2:

Metta,
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I didnt know that it was bad form either...as long as there is no one in there meditating at the time of course.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I didn't think it was bad form either :S Uh oh...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Maybe it's not... I don't know.

Metta,
Ben

Post by Ben »

No, I don't think so. Though I think it is very disrespectful to climb onto or pose in front of the Buddharupa.
And no, I wouldn't take a photo while someone was in the shrine room meditating.

B
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Ben,
Ben wrote:No, I don't think so. Though I think it is very disrespectful to climb onto or pose in front of the Buddharupa.
Certainly I wouldn't climb on a Buddharupa, but surely having your picture taken is normal?
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2730#p57192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben wrote: And no, I wouldn't take a photo while someone was in the shrine room meditating.
I recall Suguno back on E-Sangha posting his experience at a retreat where he kept perceiving flashes of light, and wondered if they were some deep experience. After a while he figured out that it was someone taking flash photos of the participants...

Mike
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

mikenz66 wrote:I recall Suguno back on E-Sangha posting his experience at a retreat where he kept perceiving flashes of light, and wondered if they were some deep experience. After a while he figured out that it was someone taking flash photos of the participants
And then he brought his wandering mind and attention gently back to the breath? I have to admit it'd be tough maintaining equinimity with such irritating distractions!
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

I always get the FWBO Buddha style and the Shasta Abbey Buddha mixed up. They look similar, but have a major difference. The Shasta Abbey Buddha has a tiny (mini Muni?) version of himself standing on his knee. I read that the founder dreamed of this image and had it made for her temple. But I thought it look kind of like an alien on his leg. :thinking:

Sometimes you never know where things come from in the Buddhist world :alien:
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/