Malaysia Visa

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
J_W

Malaysia Visa

Post by J_W »

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas on how to get a long-term visa for Malaysia? The monastery at which I would like to train is unable to sponsor me for one.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff
Phra Chuntawongso

Re: Malaysia Visa

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Sorry,I am not sure about the visa,but I am curious about which monastary you are hoping to ordain at.
with metta,Greg
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Last edited by bazzaman on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
J_W

Post by J_W »

Thanks for the information, Bazzaman.

Chiangmaigreg: The monastery is Sāsanārakkha Buddhist Sanctuary.

Jeff
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jeff

Has the monastery been able to provide you with any information or instructions that will be of assistance to you? I find it a little bit puzzling that they haven't come across the same situation with other westerners.
My understanding is that the sponsorship is really just an invitation letter sent to you from the monastery which you then send to the embassy as evidence that you'll be there engaged in practice. I'm currently looking into a long-stay meditation visa for Burma.
All the best with your travel and ordination plans.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
J_W

Post by J_W »

Hi Ben,

Malaysia is a little different, since it is a majority Muslim country. The centre cannot sponsor me for a visa, and I don't even know if they've had other westerners train there.

If I can't make it to Malaysia, I may end up joining you in Burma next year. Can I ask to which centre you are planning to go? Are you planning to ordain or undergo a long-term retreat?

Best wishes,

Jeff
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jeff
I'm doing a 30-day retreat in Burma at one of SN Goenka's meditation centres. http://www.dhamma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Having said that, temporary ordination is an aspiration that I hope to achieve later in life when all my kids are off my hands and my wife gives me permission to go.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

J_W

Post by J_W »

Good luck with your retreat :smile:

Jeff
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes, thanks Jeff. Please keep us informed as to how things progress with your ordination plans!
metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Phra Chuntawongso

there is a professional visit pass that you can apply for.
This needs to be applied for,I think,1 month before hand and must be applied for outside of Malaysia.
Perhaps when you go to the monastary you can start to organise all the paperwork and then possibly after your original visa expires you could go to the embassy in Bangkok(you would need to stay in a monastary in Thailand while you are waiting(remember that you will only get 15 days if you use a land or sea entry,but you can do this a few times).
I am not sure of your nationality,but many countries get a 90 day visa on arrival in Malaysia and these can be extended(kiwis can get another 2 months).
Good luck with your going forth.
With metta
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Phra Chuntawongso

Just a quick note.
There is a meditation center/monastary in Malaysia called the Buddhist hermitage that will ordain foreigners.
You are accepted initially for 2 weeks(they want to be sure that you are serious about your meditation)and after this you can stay on to continue your meditation practice and if you want to,ordain.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning