Can you identify this object?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
jcsuperstar

Re: Can you identify this object?

Post by jcsuperstar »

its two different Buddha's that way there are two. one (the small one i believe) is our own Sakyamuni the other is Vairocana Buddha
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:I recall Suguno back on E-Sangha posting his experience at a retreat where he kept perceiving flashes of light, and wondered if they were some deep experience. After a while he figured out that it was someone taking flash photos of the participants
And then he brought his wandering mind and attention gently back to the breath? I have to admit it'd be tough maintaining equinimity with such irritating distractions!
Well, it's just more stuff to observe rising and falling. Like traffic, or those bells that chime in the wind... Ajahn Tiradhammo (an Ajahn Chah student) sometimes mentions a time when he was a young monk in some remote monastery in Thailand. A new monk (Western I think) turned up for a few days, but left because the frogs were too noisy and he couldn't concentrate...

Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

that's one reason i like being a part of a Thai sangha without being fluent in Thai, when people are chatting it up and I'm meditating it is just noise to me since i cant understand it, might as well be a passing car or a ceiling fan. :tongue:

personally though i've found that getting upset or annoyed while meditating is a great practice if you can use it and not be carried away by it.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

jcsuperstar wrote:its two different Buddha's that way there are two. one (the small one i believe) is our own Sakyamuni the other is Vairocana Buddha
Ah, ok that makes sense then. Thanks for the info!
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

jcsuperstar wrote: personally though i've found that getting upset or annoyed while meditating is a great practice if you can use it and not be carried away by it.
You mean when this thought arises?
"Those unthinking fools! They're ruining my chance to awaken with their infernal racket... OOPS..." :thinking:

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Mike
mikenz66 wrote:Hi Ben,
Ben wrote:No, I don't think so. Though I think it is very disrespectful to climb onto or pose in front of the Buddharupa.
Certainly I wouldn't climb on a Buddharupa, but surely having your picture taken is normal?
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2730#p57192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indeed, thanks for the correction, Mike!
mikenz66 wrote:
Ben wrote: And no, I wouldn't take a photo while someone was in the shrine room meditating.
I recall Suguno back on E-Sangha posting his experience at a retreat where he kept perceiving flashes of light, and wondered if they were some deep experience. After a while he figured out that it was someone taking flash photos of the participants...
Naughty! I think I would have tarred and feathered the offending person before realizing I should have just maintained my awareness and equanimity!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ben wrote: Naughty! I think I would have tarred and feathered the offending person before realizing I should have just maintained my awareness and equanimity!
Well, perhaps, but in Asia people seem to always be taking pictures of everything that moves (or doesn't move), so I don't think anyone really notices cameras going off all over the place anymore...

A few places do ban photography inside (such as in the Emerald Buddha Temple in Bangkok), presumably to prevent crowds of people clogging up the place taking pictures of each other (which can get a little irritating) and there are occasional places I've been to that ban photography completely, but those seem to be rare exceptions.

Mike
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

mikenz66 wrote:
Mawkish1983 wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:I recall Suguno back on E-Sangha posting his experience at a retreat where he kept perceiving flashes of light, and wondered if they were some deep experience. After a while he figured out that it was someone taking flash photos of the participants
And then he brought his wandering mind and attention gently back to the breath? I have to admit it'd be tough maintaining equinimity with such irritating distractions!
Well, it's just more stuff to observe rising and falling. Like traffic, or those bells that chime in the wind... Ajahn Tiradhammo (an Ajahn Chah student) sometimes mentions a time when he was a young monk in some remote monastery in Thailand. A new monk (Western I think) turned up for a few days, but left because the frogs were too noisy and he couldn't concentrate...

Mike
Until recently I lived in the depths of the Devon countryside a lot of the time. When it was quiet you could have heard a pin drop..but we were about a mile from the sea so at various times of day the Herring Gulls would be active..this including them running all over the roof while shouting at each other in Gull..
We now live most of the time on the outskirts of London near the River Thames. A few hundred yards away is a bridge with traffic flowing over it about 18 hours a day....this gives a constant low traffic sound which can be heard from most rooms. and which doesn't bother me at all. The distinction between "natural" and "unnatural" sound is another example of aversion/attraction.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

mikenz66 wrote: Well, it's just more stuff to observe rising and falling. Like traffic, or those bells that chime in the wind... Ajahn Tiradhammo (an Ajahn Chah student) sometimes mentions a time when he was a young monk in some remote monastery in Thailand. A new monk (Western I think) turned up for a few days, but left because the frogs were too noisy and he couldn't concentrate...
Don't assume he was being too easily distracted just because your frogs don't make much noise. I'm in the tropics, similar climate to Thailand, and frogs in the wet season can be really loud. I remember one concert in a hall next to a lagoon, where we couldn't hear the (acoustic) instrumental groups on stage because the frogs were way louder.
The same goes for cicadas, at times - you just about have to shout to talk to the person next to you.
As you say, it's just more stuff to observe rising and falling, but it can be a really intrusive sound.

:juggling:
Kim