Self vs Kamma

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
PeterB

Re: Self vs Kamma

Post by PeterB »

I think I will take a wee forum holiday.

:anjali:
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

hgg wrote:If then the identity changes in every rebirth (and every moment), although kamma will follow,
what is the purpose of being ethical since the consequences of our actions
will "strike" a different identity, a different person?
The purpose of being ethical is so that different person will experience pleasant consequences and avoid unpleasant ones.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

hgg wrote:But I have already mentioned what I've meant by Soul.
That "Individuality" spoken above.

I don't want to create a debate, but I think that Jagaro paragraphs (a) & (b) show that this is a very
difficult subject indeed.
Okay but why do you want something which is expressed through the word "individuality" then call "soul"? I mean you can call it whatever you like, e.g. "stone", "ship", "bartender" or "pasjgovipµ" as long as it maintains the meaning of what "individuality" means. It's just changing of a designation. But if you want to call it "soul" because you think that "individuality" is you, when you think that "individuality" is what you are, when you think "individuality" is yours because you think it is your soul, then I would suggest to not call that "individuality" "soul" because it's not your "individuality", it's not you, not yours, it's not your soul and it is not-self. You should definitely not call that "individuality" "soul" if you want to apply the usual meaning of "soul" to "individuality" because that's not the case.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.