YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Did the Buddha go to Sri Lanka? - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Did the Buddha go to Sri Lanka?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
jcsuperstar

Re: Did the Buddha go to Sri Lanka?

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:33 am

maybe there was no reason to go
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:45 am

I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:31 am

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:48 am

I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:43 am

no one ever said it was necessary, these are just stories tied to certain places. folklore.

what do you mean "hold back the teachings"? if one isnt ready and so you dont teach him, you didnt hold anything back, you just didnt waste your time talking, basically, to yourself.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:00 am

Anyway...
With all due respect to the OP and all participants in this thread, I don't think it really matters whether the Buddha went anywhere outside of India or whether he could have taught people from other lands.
The important thing to remember is that we have the teachings and the opportunity to put the teachigns into practice.
So I recommend that you all get busy with practicing Dhamma!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:58 pm

- Snp. 1.3

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:27 am

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:39 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:09 am

Hi Retro

I'm not particularly worried about whether there is evidence that the Buddha went to Sri Lanka.
He could have gone or it could be sheer hagiography, but its essentially immaterial unless its a source of inspiration to practice.

To paraphrase the old axiom: the proof of the efficacy of the Dhamma is in its practice.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:19 am

- Snp. 1.3

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:23 am

it doesn't contradict what i say unless there is some law or whatnot that says the Buddha must teach everyone he meets, what it shows is that your idea of just because he teaches or would teach than the teaching would survive or be put into practice whatever vs what i said is maybe there was no reason to go.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

Return to “Early Buddhism”