Luminious mind

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sherab

Re: Luminious mind

Post by Sherab »

tiltbillings wrote:
Sherab wrote: Within a mind, there are different consciousness.
Since this is in the General Theravada discussion section, let us keep this within a Theravadin framework, tying it to texts when possible.
Educate me. Are you saying that in Theravada, a mind = a consciousness at every moment?
ground

Post by ground »

There is no difference between "mind" and "consciousness".
Applying the term "mind": Without object there is no "mind";
applying the term "consciousness": Without "being conscious of [an object]" there is no "consciousness".
Referring to the 12 links of DO:
"Mind" or "consciousness" are effected by ignorance and sankhara.

Kind regards
ground

Post by ground »

If you say "Within a mind, there are different consciousness." this is postulating different entities and reification of what you call "mind" as a separate entity.

Otherwise you would have to say something like "the meaning of 'mind' comprises/covers 'different consciousness'"

kind regards
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

TMingyur wrote:If you say "Within a mind, there are different consciousness." this is postulating different entities and reification of what you call "mind" as a separate entity.

Otherwise you would have to say something like "the meaning of 'mind' comprises/covers 'different consciousness'"

kind regards
Perhaps you could answer the question I asked of Tiltbillings earlier:
Are you saying that in Theravada, a mind = a consciousness at every moment?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sherab wrote:
TMingyur wrote:If you say "Within a mind, there are different consciousness." this is postulating different entities and reification of what you call "mind" as a separate entity.

kind regards
What do you mean by "a mind?"
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

tiltbillings wrote:
Sherab wrote:

kind regards
What do you mean by "a mind?"
A complex of various consciousness. Now could you answer my earlier question?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sherab,
Sherab wrote:A complex of various consciousness.
Eye-consciousness, ear-consciousness, nose-consciousness, body-consciousness, tongue-consciousness and mind-consciousness?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Sherab,
Sherab wrote:A complex of various consciousness.
Eye-consciousness, ear-consciousness, nose-consciousness, body-consciousness, tongue-consciousness and mind-consciousness?

Metta,
Yes, at the very least, I think.
ground

Post by ground »

Sherab wrote:

kind regards
I cannot speak on behalf of Theravada. But what I am actually saying is that a valid assertion is based on direct perception.
Now the question is: What can be directly perceived?
Can "a mind" other than consciousness be perceived?
If "no", why assert "a mind" other than consciousness.
If "yes", can it be perceived through "being conscious" of it or not.
----If "yes", on what grounds is it asserted to be different from consciousness?
----If "no", why assert "a mind" at all?

Kind regards
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

TMingyur wrote:
Sherab wrote:

kind regards
I cannot speak on behalf of Theravada. But what I am actually saying is that a valid assertion is based on direct perception.
Now the question is: What can be directly perceived?
Can "a mind" other than consciousness be perceived?
If "no", why assert "a mind" other than consciousness.
If "yes", can it be perceived through "being conscious" of it or not.
----If "yes", on what grounds is it asserted to be different from consciousness?
----If "no", why assert "a mind" at all?

Kind regards
Because we need words/terms in order to communicate.

I have given the meaning of "mind" as I understand it namely that it is a complex of various consciousness.

However you said earlier "If you say "Within a mind, there are different consciousness." this is postulating different entities and reification of what you call "mind" as a separate entity." This seemed to imply to me that you are asserting that a mind = a consciousness at every moment. If you did not mean this, could you elaborate on what you actually meant?
ground

Post by ground »

Sherab wrote:Because we need words/terms in order to communicate.
Now you are referring to meaning only?

This did not merely imply meaning:
Sherab wrote:Within a mind, there are different consciousness.
Sherab wrote: I have given the meaning of "mind" as I understand it namely that it is a complex of various consciousness.
A "meaning complex"? Well yes but even in that it is not different from "consciousness" because "consciousness" are differentiated according to some linguistic conventions.
Sherab wrote: This seemed to imply to me that you are asserting that a mind = a consciousness at every moment. If you did not mean this, could you elaborate on what you actually meant?
Based on what I said before I can only say that I can be "conscious" of "being conscious of", i.e. I can directly perceive my "being conscious of" or - a synonym - I can be aware of "being aware of", I can be aware of "being conscious of", I can be conscious of "being aware of". This "being aware of" or "being conscious of" is synonym to "mind" per linguistic convention because I can only perceive what I can perceive. I can conceptualize/think of/fantasize phenomena beyond that but I would not claim these to be valid.

Kind regards
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Could I suggest maybe we try to use the pali terms so we all know what is actually being discussed? Maybe I'm a little slow this morning, but I don't know what 'mind' we are actually discussing. Using the Pali words untranslated might help.

Just a thought
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

Mawkish1983 wrote:Could I suggest maybe we try to use the pali terms so we all know what is actually being discussed? Maybe I'm a little slow this morning, but I don't know what 'mind' we are actually discussing. Using the Pali words untranslated might help.

Just a thought
I was referring to citta (in my exchanges with TMingyur)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sherab,
Sherab wrote:I was referring to citta (in my exchanges with TMingyur)
Presumably the Sutta meaning, rather than the more nuanced Abhidhamma definition of the term?

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

So is the 'luminous mind' you're asking about bodhicitta? If not, what word has been translated to 'luminous'? I'm asking so I can read around a bit and maybe (just maybe) usefully contribute to this discussion.