A sotapanna

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
SamKR

Re: A sotapanna

Post by SamKR »

Modus.Ponens wrote:There's a part of me that believes it and a part of me that remains cautious to such claims. The part of me that believes says congratulations :hello:
I also want to say the same. Congratulations Virgo.
What kind of practice were you undertaking before it happened?
...and I want to ask the same question.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

cooran wrote:Hello Virgo, all,

Maybe you could discuss it with Ajahn Sujin - who I believe you have met (??). She is thought to be a Sotapanna.

For those of us still with no attainments whatsoever, this thread may prove of assistance, especially the resource links provided by rowyourboat:

Sotapanna Issues
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
Thanks Chris.

Yes, I know Ajahn. I attended talks with here every week in Bangkok for a few months. She is a wonderful teacher and I recommend her works.

I am not sure if she is an Ariya or not. She never told me.

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

SamKR wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:There's a part of me that believes it and a part of me that remains cautious to such claims. The part of me that believes says congratulations :hello:
I also want to say the same. Congratulations Virgo.
What kind of practice were you undertaking before it happened?
...and I want to ask the same question.
Thanks Sam. I wasn't doing formal techniques.

Kevin
Yundi

Post by Yundi »

...if I had such an experience i would check my own mind to observe if it is free from 'I making' and 'mine making' & check of it regards all things, all experiences, as simply sense phenomena.

In the suttas, it is reported whatever state Venerable Sariputta experienced, his mind did not regard 'him' as experiencing that state because his mind was free from 'I making' and 'mine making'.

see Upatissa Sutta: About Upatissa (Sariputta)

with metta

:heart:
Last edited by Yundi on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Virgo wrote: Thanks Sam. I wasn't doing formal techniques.

Kevin
You mentioned you attained stream entry while at the computer. So you weren't doing any formal practice then. But weren't you practicing something in a daily basis, and if so, what?
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Yundi wrote:...if I had such an experience i would check my own mind to observe if it is free from 'I making' and 'mine making' & check of it regards all things, all experiences, as simply sense phenomena.

In the suttas, it is reported whatever state Venerable Sariputta experienced, his mind did not regard 'him' as experiencing that state because his mind was free from 'I making' and 'mine making'.

see Upatissa Sutta: About Upatissa (Sariputta)

with metta

:heart:
I believe the sutta describes an Arahat, not a Sotapana.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Yundi wrote:...if I had such an experience i would check my own mind to observe if it is free from 'I making' and 'my making' & check of it regards all things, all experiences, as simply sense phenomena.
Absolutely, but even that can be mimicked, as it were. Best is: Ah, that was interesting - and then get on with one's life. To make for oneself a judgement that such an experience is an experience being ariya is a bit of a problem. It might be, but it also might not be. Just as there is a saying about being one's own lawyer, the same can apply to being one's own "spiritual mentor." This is very tricky ground which would be far better traversed privately with one's self and a qualified, experienced teacher and not broadcast it on a public forum, which tends to make it look like something else altogether. The sincerity of the OP is not doubted, not for an instant, but I wonder why we need to have been told this and with an offer to teach.

Ajahn Chah's words are worth repeating:
If the mind tries to tell you, "I'm a sotapanna now", go and bow to the sotapanna. He'll tell you himself, "It's all uncertain." If you meet a sakadagami go and pay respects to him. When he sees you he'll simply say "Not a sure thing!" If there is an anagami go and bow to him. He'll tell you only one thing . . . "Uncertain." If you meet even an arahant, go and bow to him, he'll tell you even more firmly, "It's all even more uncertain!" You'll hear the words of the Noble Ones . . . "Everything is uncertain, don't cling to anything."
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Modus.Ponens wrote:
Virgo wrote: Thanks Sam. I wasn't doing formal techniques.

Kevin
You mentioned you attained stream entry while at the computer. So you weren't doing any formal practice then. But weren't you practicing something in a daily basis, and if so, what?
Hi dhamma.vinaya,

If you read some of Ajahn Sujins or Nina Van Gorkoms books you might get a better idea of my approach.

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

tiltbillings wrote:Best is:
You know best i see.

kevin
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Virgo wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Best is:
You know best i see.
Maybe. There is always the possibly I may be correct. It seems always better to let go, not attach to whatever experience one might have, so that one does not entangle one's self in it. If there is genuine attainment, then one lives it and in that there is no gain and there is no loss. I could be wrong, but I wonder what is the value of such a public annoucement of such an attainment that is held in such high regard.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I felt like saying it.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Virgo wrote:I felt like saying it.
That, however, does not show much insight into either your motivation or the effect it might have upon those who would read it.

SDC

Post by SDC »

tiltbillings wrote:
Virgo wrote:I felt like saying it.
That, however, does not show much insight into either your motivation or the effect it might have upon those who would read it.
I try to never involve myself in these situations, but I have to agree with Tilt here.

Considering the potential for so much unpredictable feedback, some of which will cause controversy and skepticism, I'd like to know why as well.

Inspiration?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I don't feel like living with a bottled up "secret". That is my motivation.

It is not as easy as you think being totally different from every one else.

I'm a New Yorker buddy. I grew up as a graffiti artist in New York City spraypainting trains and rooftops, making my own rules, and I even been to jail for it. When I got a little older and became a Buddhist I wanted to be a monk so I traveled half way across the world, not knowing the language or anyone save for an internet contact that I had never met before and decided I would not leave the country without being ordained. I did exactly that. I don't follow rules like most people do. I've always had the New York brooklyn style. I make my own rules. If I feel like telling people I am a sotapanna, I just go ahead and tell the whole world rather than bottle it up and keep it inside. It's just my perogative. Also, it might inspire some people. If people have faith I can help guide them on the right path. I said I will answer peoples questions and I will, but I have not and will not set myself up to teach. Generally, I answer peoples questions and tell them that if they really want to learn dhamma they should read Ajahn Sujins and Nina Van Gorkoms books. Their books have everything in them they need to learn. There isn't any "room" for me to teach there. I wont accept gifts or money that people may wish to give to make money either, as I stated. I may be a city boy but I've also lived in the country for the past ten years and where I am from we are hard working people, we pull our own weight. Accepting things as a monk was different because it was part of the culture I was in. I just felt like sharing my experience with the world instead of walking around "hiding" it. I don't like that feeling at all. I felt great after I made the initial post in this thread and got it off my shoulders. That is it in a nutshell: I wanted to share my genuine experience of Buddhist realization with other people.

Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Virgo wrote:I don't feel like living with a bottled up "secret". That is my motivation.
Do you really mean to say this? In other words, your motivation was your discomfort, but that still does not tell us why you let discomfort drive you to act.
It is not as easy as you think being totally different from every one else.
But why, then, would you want people to look at you that way, as being totally different?
I'm a New Yorker buddy.
So? I am from Minnesota. You can't top that, but then such things are just part of the eight worldly winds, aren't they?
I just felt like sharing my experience with the world instead of walking around "hiding" it. I don't like that feeling at all.
Now you are telling us that you made your original posting because you did not like the way something felt? If your realization is genuine, there is no hiding it and there is no need to broadcast indicrimately broadcast it. Certainly you could tell your closest sangha friends and your teacher, if you had one. Again, if your experience is genuine, you live it without gain or loss.
I felt great after I made the initial post in this thread and got it off my shoulders. That is it in a nutshell: I wanted to share my genuine experience of Buddhist realization with other people.
I hope that it is genuine.