Places for long-term retreats in Europe

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Moggalana

Places for long-term retreats in Europe

Post by Moggalana »

Dear friends,

if all goes well, I will have finished my undergraduate degree this time next year. The future after that is yet uncertain. There are many paths I could set foot on. One option would be doing a long-term (3 months or more) meditation retreat before entering graduate school. Asia comes to mind, of course. It's cheaper and there is probably an abundance of places to choose from. There might be visa issues however. Especially if staying for longer than 3 months. Also, there doesn't seem to be so much information about long-term meditation retreats in Europe. So, do you know any?
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Ben

Re: Places for long-term retreats in Europe

Post by Ben »

Also, there doesn't seem to be so much information about long-term meditation retreats in Europe. So, do you know any?
No, not outside my own tradition. And within my own tradition long courses are only offered to long-standing practitioners who meet a strict set of pre-requisites.
Asia comes to mind, of course. It's cheaper and there is probably an abundance of places to choose from. There might be visa issues however. Especially if staying for longer than 3 months.
If you can identify a centre or monastery that offers a long retreat and if they offer you a place or sponsorship, the country may provide you with a special long-term stay visa. For example, Burma offers meditation visas for people who are offered places at centres or monasteries to study Theravada Buddhism and Theravada Buddhist meditation. If its something you want to do, then look into it!
kind egards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Moggalana

Re: Places for long-term retreats in Europe

Post by Moggalana »

Thanks for your reply, Ben. I will definitely consider the Asia option.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.